Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Welp, posted a Buchnevich trade offer in the forums (extended Buch for #15 overall pick). Hope it goes well. I have my doubts, but as Jules said in Pulp Fiction, "I'm trying to be the Shepherd."

EDIT: Aaaand, of course, Robtom/Colt55/whatever the f*** he calls himself tries to f*** it up first chance he gets.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Welp, posted a Buchnevich trade offer in the forums (extended Buch for #15 overall pick). Hope it goes well. I have my doubts, but as Jules said in Pulp Fiction, "I'm trying to be the Shepherd."

EDIT: Aaaand, of course, Robtom/Colt55/whatever the f*** he calls himself tries to f*** it up first chance he gets.
15th is nice start, but i'd want more.

Reactions: Drubilly

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Aint that the truth.

I think #10 would be good if that was the only asset coming back. I wouldn't mind #15 and 2 2nds, admittedly I'm not sure of the value of 2nds so maybe that makes it to much?

Quite simply, we're trading a thirty-year-old winger. A damn good thirty-year-old winger, but a thirty-year-old winger, nonetheless. I don't think we get nearly as much as that.

Reactions: Drubilly

AyeBah

Apr 5, 2019
Reading through this thread with all the Selke talk that the Blues win pretty much zero awards, or are ever even in discussion for them.

Outside of O'reilly's Selke the most recent major award was Jackman's Calder in 2003. The Blues have always been sort of a team first identity but the lack of star power is demoralizing to look back on. Marner would be the blues most individually talented player since Hull or Pronger and the fact people are being picky about getting him is pretty funny. Go through the major awards the past few years and you have to scroll pretty far to find a Blues player.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Reading through this thread with all the Selke talk that the Blues win pretty much zero awards, or are ever even in discussion for them.

Outside of O'reilly's Selke the most recent major award was Jackman's Calder in 2003. The Blues have always been sort of a team first identity but the lack of star power is demoralizing to look back on. Marner would be the blues most individually talented player since Hull or Pronger and the fact people are being picky about getting him is pretty funny. Go through the major awards the past few years and you have to scroll pretty far to find a Blues player.
The only individual award that I truly care about is Conn Smythe, and ROR won that in 2019. Who was the last Leaf to win? Marner is a fine player and I don't doubt that he can be part of Cup winning team, but given his salary, coming ufa, and assets it would cost to acquire him, what's funny is to think nobody would question the wisdom of team where Blues are at dealing for him.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

He's back?

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
He's back?

He’s been back on the trade boards for a while. His type of posting is the exact same as Colt55, so I’m definitely sure it’s him.

I feel sorry for the main boards :laugh:

I had to hold my tongue on the thread; I didn’t want a gigantic fight on the thread I made. Main rule I’ve learned: don’t argue with delusional idiots because they’ll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Reactions: Blueston

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
He’s been back on the trade boards for a while. His type of posting is the exact same as Colt55, so I’m definitely sure it’s him.

I had to hold my tongue on the thread; I didn’t want a gigantic fight on the thread I made. Main rule I’ve learned: don’t argue with delusional idiots because they’ll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.
I haven't visited the trade boards for some time. I'm helping out with the Playoffs board, and together with this board and a full time job, that's enough. :laugh: It's good to know, though. Duly noted.

Reactions: stl76

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

If individual talent was the criteria to win a cup then the Leafs would have won it already. Marner is talented sure but he needs to stay the f*** away from this team and this market.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
If individual talent was the criteria to win a cup then the Leafs would have won it already. Marner is talented sure but he needs to stay the f*** away from this team and this market.

I'm reporting this comment. Expect to hear from Marner's security team in the near future.

• Haha
Reactions: Linkens Mastery

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Buying him out means losing 3.250.000 towards the cap the next three seasons. We're retooling and we're probably not going trying to spend towards the cap anyway. Hell no to buying him out though as it will take 6 years to get him off the books.
Your buyout numbers aren't accurate. Here is the cap breakdown for a Krug buyout this summer:

2024/25: $333,333
2025/26: $2,333,333
2026/27: $2,333,333
2027/28: $2,333,333
2028/29: $2,333,333
2029/30: $2,333,333

The benefit to a Krug buyout has always been heavily weighted to freeing up cap space from 2022/23 through 2024/25. Those were the 3 years where you could have cleared up $6M+ of cap space with a buyout. A buyout in those years made sense if you were truly contending at that point and could stomach to pay tons of money to get rid of him and then use that cap space to bring in a guy that gets you over the top.

Obviously that didn't happen and I don't think anyone here believes that we are on track to be a contender next year if only we can get rid of Krug and gain $6.167M in cap space. Barring a couple massive franchise altering moves, it just doesn't make sense to tack on 3 more years of (smaller) cap hits for Krug this summer by buying him out. I think there are very few potential circumstances where we would 'need' that cap space to either turn things around for 2024/25 or acquire an expensive guy who is part of the long term solution.

I'm warming up to the idea of retaining 50% of his contract if that makes it so that we can move him if we could get some 'positive value' back. Even if it's just a 4th or something like that.
However, retention makes a lot of sense.

50% retention means we would pay Krug $10.5M over 3 years not to play here vs paying him $14M over 6 years not to play here. That's a big enough gap in total dollars that I don't think that the benefit of delaying payments would save the Blues money in the long run.

But the big benefit is future cap space. Retention gets his contract fully off the books 3 years sooner than a buyout. I think that is well worth the "extra" cap hits from 2024/25 through 2026/27 (assuming 50% retention). Even better if you can move him in a deal with less than 50% retention.

I do wonder if there is a deal to be made with Detroit if they don't can't extend Ghost. Krug with $2M(ish) retained could fill that need and we probably have the ability to take one of their not-so-great contracts that has 1 year left in order to give them flexibility this year.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Your buyout numbers aren't accurate. Here is the cap breakdown for a Krug buyout this summer:

The benefit to a Krug buyout has always been heavily weighted to freeing up cap space from 2022/23 through 2024/25. Those were the 3 years where you could have cleared up $6M+ of cap space with a buyout. A buyout in those years made sense if you were truly contending at that point and could stomach to pay tons of money to get rid of him and then use that cap space to bring in a guy that gets you over the top.

Obviously that didn't happen and I don't think anyone here believes that we are on track to be a contender next year if only we can get rid of Krug and gain $6.167M in cap space. Barring a couple massive franchise altering moves, it just doesn't make sense to tack on 3 more years of (smaller) cap hits for Krug this summer by buying him out. I think there are very few potential circumstances where we would 'need' that cap space to either turn things around for 2024/25 or acquire an expensive guy who is part of the long term solution.

50% retention means we would pay Krug $10.5M over 3 years not to play here vs paying him $14M over 6 years not to play here. That's a big enough gap in total dollars that I don't think that the benefit of delaying payments would save the Blues money in the long run.

But the big benefit is future cap space. Retention gets his contract fully off the books 3 years sooner than a buyout. I think that is well worth the "extra" cap hits from 2024/25 through 2026/27 (assuming 50% retention). Even better if you can move him in a deal with less than 50% retention.

I do wonder if there is a deal to be made with Detroit if they don't can't extend Ghost. Krug with $2M(ish) retained could fill that need and we probably have the ability to take one of their not-so-great contracts that has 1 year left in order to give them flexibility this year.
With retention, isn’t there a risk that the acquiring club buys them out down the road and you are on the hook for some of that cap hit or am i misremembering something I thought I heard?

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

Well, the numbers aren't wrong but I accidently said buy-out when I meant retain (50% of his contract). It was very early in the morning where I live, so note to self: more coffee before I post. ;)

However, in actuality the numbers are even slightly worse then you posted: in 2026/27 (the final year of Krug's contract) the buy out penalty is half a million higher at $2,833,333. This makes it even more 'attractive' to move him if there is a taker @50% of his contract.

Besides that I agree with every single word you said!

Reactions: Brian39

AyeBah

Apr 5, 2019
don't disagree with you just would be nice to have a star player with some league wide recognition every once in a while instead of drafting between 10-20 every single year but thats me

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017

Now there's a thought. Also not to be discounted is the Army/Yzerman connection and Krug being from Michigan.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I looked at Detroit's Capfriendly page and was genuinely surprised at how much cap space they have next year. I would have guessed that the number was in the $20M-$25M range, but it is $29M. I totally forgot that they moved Kostin to San Jose. Still, Seider and Raymond are both due large raises and they have a good chunk of non-insignificant UFAs to extend/replace (Ghost, Kane, Perron, and Sprong were 4th, 6th, 7th, and 8th in scoring on their team and Kane had 47 points in 50 games). They should also be trying to actually improve since they missed the playoffs again.

They already have Chiarot, Walman, and Maata under contract on the left side for 2024/25 and I have to think that they want Edvinsson to have a spot in the NHL lineup next year. they would for sure need to move a lefty if they were interested in bringing in Krug as a PPQB.

I wonder if they regret that Chiarot contract. I wouldn't retain much (if any) on Krug if we were taking back Chiarot in a deal, but that is a swap that makes some sense to me. We'd have to add (or take back more bad money) and Chiarot certainly has flaws to his game. I've felt that NHL GMs overrated him for years and I don't remotely like his contract. But his skillset aligns with our obvious needs much better than Krug's and I think having him instead of Krug as a poor-value LHD contract expands the 'types' of D men we could target to improve the group.

They have to want out of Husso's deal. We don't have a need for Husso, but we could certainly play middle-man with some salary retention as part of a deal. I have to think that there are some organizations that would be comfortable giving him a shot as a tandem or 35 start back up if he only counted $2.375M against their cap.

Chiarot and the Blues retaining 50% on Husso as part of another deal probably isn't a terrible starting point for negotiations for Krug.

Or maybe they really want to clear out the left side and would be interested in moving Chiarot and Maata.

Or perhaps they want to move on from Petry.

Fabbri probably has some value in a deal, but how many good teams want him at the full freight? Maybe they would be content just dumping him in a deal if it means not having to retain and freeing up that cap space to go make a big move.

Husso, Fabbri, Maata, and Petry are overpaid with just 1 year left on a deal and I'm pretty content being a dumping ground for any of them in a deal where we can move Krug. We currently have $15.6M in cap space to fill 6 roster spots. That doesn't account for Bolduc, Kessel, or Perunovich at the moment. Swapping Krug for Chiarot would free up another $1.75M, so we'd have more than enough space to take a good chunk of bad money.

Let's call it Chiarot, Petry, and Husso for Krug (and Detroit can have whatever asset the 3rd team gives up for Husso). That frees up $5.343M in cap space for Detroit to use this season and likely nets them a 3rd rounder(ish) in exchange for swapping Chiarot for Krug and taking on $1.75M in cap commitments for 2025/26 and 2026/27. That's not a bad deal if you think Edvinsson is ready (and/or needs) to take the next step and play 2nd pair minutes.

Last edited:

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
It all has to go through Krug. If he's still wanting to be here this season, everything else is moot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad