Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I’m not so sure Vegas will be looking to move Hague this summer. They do also have Martinez coming off the books at $5.250, which will give them some cap cushion too. And in Hague’s case he is at a good cost controlled price and is only an RFA next summer.

That said I would be in on a Hague and Karlsson package!

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I’m not so sure Vegas will be looking to move Hague this summer. They do also have Martinez coming off the books at $5.250, which will give them some cap cushion too. And in Hague’s case he is at a good cost controlled price and is only an RFA next summer.

That said I would be in on a Hague and Karlsson package!
he's also not very good. they tried to play him up in lineup and he couldn't handle it, which is large part of why they dealt for hanifan. if we want hague as a replacement for scandella to put on 3rd pair, fine, he should do well in that role. but he isn't the top pairing level guy we have been seeking.

Reactions: mk80

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
he's also not very good. they tried to play him up in lineup and he couldn't handle it, which is large part of why they dealt for hanifan. if we want hague as a replacement for scandella to put on 3rd pair, fine, he should do well in that role. but he isn't the top pairing level guy we have been seeking.

Between this post and Brians earlier post about the Vegas not really cap crunch that's kind of depressing. I was hoping Armstrong could get some good players from them for cheap.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Has that just been this season? I thought he looked good in the Vegas Cup run and seem to remember him getting some high praise that year as well. I think he could at least hold down a role on a 2nd pair.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He played less than 200 minutes at 5 on 5 with Petro and Theodore combined this season. Whitecloud has overwhelmingly been his most frequent partner for each of the last two seasons and that pair's usage increased with Petro and Theodore both missing a good chunk of games this year. Hanifin is obviously an ungrade over Hague, but I don't think that is an indictment on Hague.

I think Hague is unquestionably more than just 'fine' as an upgrade over Scandella. Hague played 18:33 a night this year while Scandella played 12:28 a night. Hague's 18:33 a night would have put him 5th among Blues D and about 2 minutes ahead of 6th. I agree that he isn't (and won't ever be) the top pairing guy we're seeking, but I think he is currently a #4/5 level guy with an emphasis on defensive play. And at just 25 years old, he certainly has room to grow into more.

He led the Knights in 5 on 5 minutes in the playoffs last year in pure shutdown minutes. He wasn't a star, but he was effective in those minutes. He had a down year this year, but I'm not sold that he doesn't have more to give. I think he very much still has the potential to be a damn good #3 NHL D man for a lot of years and I'd be surprised if he isn't a legit complementary 2nd pair guy for at least a few years.

I think the large majority of his potential/expected outcomes in the short-to-medium term have him as more than just a 3rd pair guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xerloris and mk80

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He played less than 200 minutes at 5 on 5 with Petro and Theodore combined this season. Whitecloud has overwhelmingly been his most frequent partner for each of the last two seasons and that pair's usage increased with Petro and Theodore both missing a good chunk of games this year. Hanifin is obviously an ungrade over Hague, but I don't think that is an indictment on Hague.

I think Hague is unquestionably more than just 'fine' as an upgrade over Scandella. Hague played 18:33 a night this year while Scandella played 12:28 a night. Hague's 18:33 a night would have put him 5th among Blues D and about 2 minutes ahead of 6th. I agree that he isn't (and won't ever be) the top pairing guy we're seeking, but I think he is currently a #4/5 level guy with an emphasis on defensive play. And at just 25 years old, he certainly has room to grow into more.

He led the Knights in 5 on 5 minutes in the playoffs last year in pure shutdown minutes. He wasn't a star, but he was effective in those minutes. He had a down year this year, but I'm not sold that he doesn't have more to give. I think he very much still has the potential to be a damn good #3 NHL D man for a lot of years and I'd be surprised if he isn't a legit complementary 2nd pair guy for at least a few years.

I think the large majority of his potential/expected outcomes in the short-to-medium term have him as more than just a 3rd pair guy.
I don’t necessarily disagree. He would be an upgrade, but I stand by my assertion that he isn’t the top pair quality guy we need. If we can deal our 2nd 2nd for him with idea he could be 4/5 guy (either anchor 3rd pair of with better guy on 2nd), I’d be okay with that.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Even if they decide not to move Hague, I’d still really like Karlsson on the cheap.

As a damn good defensive center, he would make Thomas’ life easier, which could boost him up into the 90+ pt range next year. Also, he fits the timeline super well as the 2C until Dvorsky hopefully takes over that role in a couple years.

Reactions: mk80 and Brian39

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Why would Karlsson like to come in Blues?
1- Because he'd be the #2 center and get 18-20 minutes a night here(presumably with Buchnevich and Kyrou which could really inflate his stats).
As opposed to the 13-16 minutes a night on the 3rd line that he'd receive if he stays in Vegas.

2- I would imagine he's heard a lot of favorable things about the City/Organization from the likes of Perron, Pietrangelo, Barbashev, Stastny, Ryan Reaves, Will Carrier, Brad Hunt, Adam Cracknell, Jordan Leopold, Eric Brewer and Pat Maroon over the years(I would imagine he's still in touch with Brandon Saad also).
For having never played in the Blue Note, he's shared the ice with a heck of a lot of former Blues.

3- He only has a 10 team No-Trade list. If Vegas decides to move him, he doesn't get much say in the matter(refer to Patrick Berglund for details).

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
1- Because he'd be the #2 center and get 18-20 minutes a night here(presumably with Buchnevich and Kyrou which could really inflate his stats).
As opposed to the 13-16 minutes a night on the 3rd line that he'd receive if he stays in Vegas.

2- I would imagine he's heard a lot of favorable things about the City/Organization from the likes of Perron, Pietrangelo, Barbashev, Stastny, Ryan Reaves, Will Carrier, Brad Hunt, Adam Cracknell, Jordan Leopold, Eric Brewer and Pat Maroon over the years(I would imagine he's still in touch with Brandon Saad also).
For having never played in the Blue Note, he's shared the ice with a heck of a lot of former Blues.

3- He only has a 10 team No-Trade list. If Vegas decides to move him, he doesn't get much say in the matter(refer to Patrick Berglund for details).
Counter point: Doug Armstrong

Checkmate

:sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Drubilly

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Why would Karlsson like to come in Blues?
We aren't in Canada and (whether you think it should be this way or not) tons of NHL players don't want to play in Canada.

We have a defined spot in the lineup for him to play in the top 6. We also have a decent group of wingers (both vets and incoming prospects) for him to play with. We aren't a pure bottom feeder.

We play in the Western Conference, which is where he has had all of his career success.

Missouri taxes aren't the most favorable in the NHL, but they are also not among the 10 worst.

We have a pretty good track record drafting, acquiring, signing, and retaining Swedish players. That includes Alex Steen officially working for the front office.

I doubt we'd be in his top 5 destinations, but he only has a 10 team no trade list. I think there is a very good chance that we aren't in his bottom 10.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Karlsson’s NTC is just 10 teams. The Blues might not be the most desirable team to go to but I doubt they’re on too many NTC lists that are only 10 teams long.

I forgot what I was reading for a second and I got scared that for what ever reason we were talking about Eric Karlsson.
Pietrangelo

Yes, a shining endorsement from the guy that was so excited to get the f*** out of here that he was literally on a plane 1 second after FA started.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I expect that there will be a different approach by the front office for the ex-Yotes franchise in their new home in Utah. I wonder, if we decide that moving on from Faulk would be part of re-making the defense, if they would be willing to part with one of their 2nd rounders in the next 3 years for him. The right side of their D is currently comprised of Kesselring, Soderstrom, and someone playing their off-side.

I would want a plan in place to find an upgrade (paging Braden Schneider) but I feel like the Utah franchise are going to be spending their money differently over the course of the next few off seasons.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I expect that there will be a different approach by the front office for the ex-Yotes franchise in their new home in Utah. I wonder, if we decide that moving on from Faulk would be part of re-making the defense, if they would be willing to part with one of their 2nd rounders in the next 3 years for him. The right side of their D is currently comprised of Kesselring, Soderstrom, and someone playing their off-side.

I would want a plan in place to find an upgrade (paging Braden Schneider) but I feel like the Utah franchise are going to be spending their money differently over the course of the next few off seasons.
They should definitely shift to a mode where they are building a playoff contender roster. There are enough young talented players to build around I’m envious in a lot of ways.

BA’s job just got a lot better, assuming the owner keeps him. It’s a fun time to become an Utah fan when the franchise is young and rising.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015

$50mil in cap(factoring in Weber's LTIR) and a whole D core to sign, it'll definitely be interesting to see what BA does this summer.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
$50mil in cap(factoring in Weber's LTIR) and a whole D core to sign, it'll definitely be interesting to see what BA does this summer.
I'm really interested to see what they do with the blue line.

No one is under contract, but Durzi, Moser, and Valimaki are all RFAs entering their age 24-26 seasons. They all played 19+ minutes this year (with Durzi being at 22:43 a night) with pretty respectable underlying numbers. I think those are the clear 3 priorities to build around while the rest of the group is fully expendable. They each have 2-3 more years of RFA status, but it feels like this summer would be a good one to lock 1-2 down long term to try and get a contract that turns into a discount in the back half.

They have Simashev and Lamoureux in the pipeline for the medium-to-long term, so it appears to me that the goal this summer should be adding a couple good stopgap vets to support the current trio of mid-20s D. Most UFAs that fit the on-ice role will want term and I'm not sure that it makes sense for them to invest 4+ years in anyone at the moment unless it is on one of the legit top UFA targets.

They can take 'bad' money in the short term. All of Cooley, Keller, Crouse, Schmaltz, Maccelli, Ingram, Doan, Geekie, and their top prospects are under contract for 2+ more seasons. Schmaltz, Keller, and Crouse already make enough that their raises (or replacement cost) won't be gigantic cap jumps. Maybe a few million, but it won't be like going from an ELC to $8M.

They are really well positioned to take on overpaid guys if those guys are still genuine on-ice contributors and see their contracts expire in 2-3 years. Given that, I could see them inquiring about Leddy/Faulk/Krug. Krug likely doesn't make sense for them since Durzi is likely penciled into PPQB duty, but Leddy or Faulk makes some sense to me. If I were them, I'd prefer a bigger guy since none of Durzi/Moser/Valimaki are particularly big guys. However, it isn't like teams are rushing to ship out big quality vet D men, so maybe they end up circling us as a trade partner. They have so damn many futures assets that I could see them putting together a compelling futures package.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’d put a 5 yr 40 mill contract on the table for Buch and say that’s the most we can go. If he doesn’t accept, I’m trading him at the draft.

Since he can’t sign it until July, can you offer this type of contract prior to the draft?

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I’d put a 5 yr 40 mill contract on the table for Buch and say that’s that’s the most we can go. If he doesn’t accept, I’m trading him at the draft.

Since he can’t sign it until July, can you offer this type of contract prior to the draft?

We can sign him as soon as Free agency opens this year. We can probably negotiate before then. I don't think there is a rule against negotiating with your own players prior to being able to sign them but I could be mistaken there. I do know we can extend him officially after noon ET on July 1st.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I’d put a 5 yr 40 mill contract on the table for Buch and say that’s that’s the most we can go. If he doesn’t accept, I’m trading him at the draft.

You can have discussions on terms and get a basic idea of the contract prior to. You just can't officially offer it.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
You can have discussions on terms and get a basic idea of the contract prior to. You just can't officially offer it.

So then won’t get a definite answer from him prior the draft? Such a dumb rule

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
You can present a formal offer to your own player before July 1st. You can have a handshake deal prior to July 1st. The only real restriction is that you can't enter into a legally binding contract (that is submitted to the league and subsequently approved) until July 1st. If both parties are willing to engage in negotiations, there is absolutely nothing in the CBA stopping us from knowing whether or an agreement can be reached on an extension.

Neither party has any real incentive to nuke a professional relationship by agreeing to terms in the leadup to the draft and then decline to sign the agreed-upon contract on July 1st.

Now, either party may decline to engage in formal negotiations prior to July 1st. Either party may agree to engage in formal negotiations but be unwilling to commit to an agreement. The other party is then more than free to make other decisions based on that. Like all deadlines/openings, one or both parties may leverage it to their advantage in negotiations.

But that July 1st 'eligibility' date to actually sign an extension isn't the thing that would prevent a team from knowing whether they can reach an extension with a player.

If we want to make our best offer to Buch prior to the draft and if we decide to seek a trade of him at the draft if he won't accept that offer before the draft, the only thing preventing us from getting an answer would be Buch's camp. He could theoretically agree and then change his answer 3 days later, but that would be a massive black mark on the agent and the player's reputation around the league.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad