Blues 2008 System Audit

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
CENTER
The Blues have considerable depth up the middle, with two players knocking on the door for playing time as soon as this year. The Blues top prospect, David Bolland (1st-2004), is clearly ready for a spot on the team and he could see some time with the big club this year, with a full-time spot on the roster seemingly but assured for next season. Close behind Bolland is the recently acquired Kyle Chipchura, who could also see spot duty this season, but whose future is a little less clear in terms of when he will be a full-time depth center for the club.

In the pipeline long-term are two intriguing prospects in Lars Eller (1st-2007) and Ben Maxwell (2nd-2006). Both are a couple of years away, although both are showing excellent progress at the professional ranks this season, Eller for Frolunda in the SEL and Maxwell in the AHL, where he is amongst the league rookie scoring leaders.

Meanwhile, Chris Doyle (5th-2008) is amongst the league leaders in scoring in the Q this season and Evgeny Grachev (4th-2008) is making an impact with Brampton in the OHL. The Blues are high on both of these recent picks.

Long-term suspects include Niclas Lucenius (4th-2007), Codey Burki (2nd-2006) and wildcard Jesper Samuelsson (6th-2008).

LEFT-WING
The recent graduation of Guilluame Latendresse (1st-2005), Daniel Paille (1st-2002) and Andrew Cogliano (2nd-2005) to the Blues, along with incumbent first line winger Dany Heatley (1st-2000), means the Blues are in no rush to fill a roster spot at left wing. The average age of their left side is well under 25.

Veterans Garth Murray (3rd-2001) and Krys Kolanos (FA) currently provide depth and could get a cup of coffee with the team at various times in the next year.

Deeper in the system, the Blues are notably thin, although there is intrigue and upside to both Jan Mursak (5th-2006), currently struggling in his rookie AHL season, and Frederik Pettersson (5th-2005), currently leading Frolunda in scoring in the SEL. Mursak’s speed and skill are his hallmark, while Petterson demonstrates those traits along with a combative element of energy that suggests he might transition to the North American pro hockey easier if he is so inclined to ultimately return from Sweden in the years ahead (he cut his teeth in the WHL).

One notable surprise, former defensive prospect Paul Bissonette (3rd -2003) has suddenly emerged as a NHL depth forward after making the transition to left wing last spring.

RIGHT-WING
Despite the earlier than expected arrival of gritty winger Jared Boll (6th-2005) to the pro ranks, the Blues still possess a solid array of youth on the right side in their system. At the top of the list is talented Teddy Purcell (FA), who lit up the AHL last season, but has struggled with consistency early this year after failing to crack a full-time spot in the NHL. That said, the Blues remain high on the talented and rangy winger and he has scoring line upside.

Behind Purcell is a more of an up and down winger in Adam Pineault (2nd -2004), who has demonstrated a strong two way game and the ability to consistently put up points in the AHL. He is slated to crack a checking line within the next two years in the NHL.

Perhaps one of the Blues most underrated prospects from a pure-skill perspective is Dmitri Kugryshev (4th-2008). Now with Quebec in the QMJHL, he is amongst the rookie leaders having put up 13 goals and 21 points in his first 18 games to place him second in the Q amongst rookie scorers. Kugryshev’s and Grachev’s move to North America immediately after being drafted by the Blues clearly enhances their value to the team.

DEFENCE
The Blues deepest position, this is not a surprise given they have consistently drafted their share of defencemen, but very few have emerged as of yet at the pro level (Dustin Byguglien and the recently departed Josh Gorges are the only two to emerge as NHLers in the last five years).

While the Blues have three former first round picks in their system, it is a 2nd round pick, Ian Cole (2nd-2007), who has emerged as their top defensive prospect. With Notre Dame as a Sophmore, Cole has emerged as one of the more physical players in the NCAA, with offensive upside to boot, averaging nearly a point per game thus far in 2008-2009. While he is a few years away still, he has top pairing based on his solid two-way play.

Following Cole, is Michigan alternate captain Chris Summers (1st-2005), who also happens to moonlight as a winger on occasion. Summers’ is an incredibly gifted skater who plays at a high tempo, although his offensive skills are not elite. He projects as more of a second pairing two-way character d-men in the NHL. Whether he remains a flex player who moves back and forth between the wing and defence is also a possibility.

After that, Brendan Mikkelson (1st-2005), Roman Josi (2nd-2008), Aaron Ness (1st-2008), Oscars Bartulis (5th-2005) and TJ Brennan (2nd-2007) make up a solid group of depth prospects with a diverse balance of skills. Ness, an underage freshman at the University of Minnesota who the Blues took a bit of a gamble on late in the first round of this past draft, has been impressive thus far. Meanwhile, Mikkelson is likely the Blues defensive prospect closest to cracking the NHL.

Another depth layer down, Dennis Persson (2nd-2006), Logan Stephenson (trade), Derek LaPoint (3rd-2006), Tomas Kundratek (4th-2008) and Maxim Goncharov (4th-2007) are all question marks as to whether they will emerge as bonafide NHLers to a certain degree, although all possess a bonafide package of skill, talent and character.

GOALTENDING
Jhonas Enroth (3rd-2006) has steadily arisen up the Blues prospect rankings and is now close to taking the top spot overall, after making a successful transition to the AHL, where he has been stellar thus far with Portland. The talented Swede could press for playing time in the NHL as early as late this season, although he is still projected to be a few years from cracking the Blues line-up. Just behind Enroth is Alex Montoya, whose progress has plateau’d to a certain degree, but whose talent is still unquestioned. The Blues can seemingly afford to patient with Montoya and have stated that repeatedly.

After that, there is a noticeable gap in the goaltending pipeline, suggesting the Blues will likely consider drafting a goaltender or two in the next few drafts.

Perhaps the most intriguing move made by the Blues, was the recent acquisition of the rights to Ray Emery from the Florida Panthers. While Emery is committed to playing in Russia in the KHL this season at a minimum, it is believed he could return to North America next year and might end up in the goaltending mix for the Blues in the years ahead.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Darn you that's a good list :P

Only a passing mention to Grachev though? Let me fill in the blanks for you since I've seen him a half dozen times so far this season. Maybe Brock will have soemthing to add.

Strength's:
- Goal scorers hands when in close. So good I don't see him having any problem in this regard at the pro level.
- Above average stick handling (not elite but very good)
- Above average skating

Weaknesses:
- Lack of vision or Puck Hog? Don't know which is true but he certainly doesn't pass when in 5 on 5 situations and has been guilty of coughing up the puck trying to deke out the entire opposing team. Then again when successful it's highlite reel stuff.
He has good linemates (Duchense or Hodgeson or both at times) so there's no excuse here. He does distribute a bit more when in a structured PP system.
- Needs to contribute more defensively. As Stan Butler does every year he does put guys out on the PK that are not defensively conscious (drives me nuts at times) to force them to learn to play defence. He's had mixed success with players in that regard but if anyone can teach him defence it'll be Stan.

Other:
If he doen't get his head up and stop watching the puck on his stick he's going to have his head taken off at the higher levels.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Only a passing mention to Grachev though? Let me fill in the blanks for you since I've seen him a half dozen times so far this season. Maybe Brock will have soemthing to add.

Strength's:
- Goal scorers hands when in close. So good I don't see him having any problem in this regard at the pro level.
- Above average skating

Weaknesses:
- Lack of vision or Puck Hog? Don't know which is true but he certainly doesn't pass when in 5 on 5 situations and has been guilty of coughing up the puck trying to deke out the entire opposing team. Then again when successful it's highlite reel stuff.
He has good linemates (Duchense or Hodgeson or both at times) so there's no excuse here. He does distribute a bit more when in a structured PP system.
- Needs to contribute more defensively. As Stan Butler does every year he does put guys out on the PK that are not defensively conscious (drives me nuts at times) to force them to learn to play defence. He's had mixed success with players in that regard but if anyone can teach him defence it'll be Stan.

Other:
If he doen't get his head up and stop watching the puck on his stick he's going to have his head taken off at the higher levels.

Thanks for the insight Drew. I like him a lot, but kept it to a passing mention simply because I figured he would need 25-30 games in the OHL before getting a feel for what his game is truly like. He actually started quite slow, as you are well aware. I'm sure he's still making the adjustment to North America and Canadian junior hockey, but I certainly am encouraged by his play in the last few weeks. His 4 goals yesterday against the 67's in 4-2 win was especially nice to see, although I have no doubt having Duchesne distributing the puck for all four goals helped. If he turns into a complimentary scoring winger, I'd be happy with that. Even a Fedotenko type. How's he handling the physical stuff? Dishing it out as well as he takes it?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

Strength's:
- Above average skating

Weaknesses:

Other:

I actually haven't seen him yet this year. When Brampton and Niagara played earlier this year, he wasn't yet released from NHL camp.

But I've heard some great things and some bad things, pretty much exactly what you've written Drew. In terms of the physical stuff that Nick has been asking, from what I've heard he's a pretty aggressive forechecker, and he skates hard. But he's not a threat to lay a big body check or anything. A "power winger" if you will.

Perhaps Drew can agree or disagree having seen him first hand.

The first viewing I'll have of Grachev will come this week when the ADT games are on.

Still trying to score tickets to the one in Niagara.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
... kept it to a passing mention simply because I figured he would need 25-30 games in the OHL before getting a feel for what his game is truly like.

Totally agree. That's why I qualified the defensive comment. I've seen Stan turn guys around in that regard several times ... you wouldn't believe how average Brent Burns defence was before Stan worked his magic.

How's he handling the physical stuff? Dishing it out as well as he takes it?

Physical play is one area I did leave to 'wait and see'. So far he doesn't really have a physical game. He's a big boy for the OHL level yet the few times I've seen him hit it seemed like he felt it obligatory and it was half hearted.
Likewise he doesn't shy away from traffic as he's bigger than most of the guys he's facing in the OHL but he doesn't exactly seek it out either. Come to think of it I don't recall having seen him take any big hits to know how he would respond.
He may in the future be labelled a guy that doesn't use his size to advantage but I'm waiting to see if that changes as he further adjusts to the NA game.

BTW Battalion winning streak is now 14 games (tied for club record). Go Battalion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad