Blues 2003 Draft Review

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I was tempted to let this thread pass, mostly due to the fact that I had traded my first two picks and didn’t have a selection until late in the third round. However, given I had four 3rd rounders between 82 and 91, it is still worth a little reflection.

Paul Bissonnette – 3rd Round – 82nd Overall – D – Saginaw (OHL)
NHL: 4th round – 121st overall by Pittsburgh
Bissonnette was stable, tough and physical d-man with a no frills scouting report, but good character traits. After nearly cracking the Pens line-up as a 19 year old, he went from regressing to a plateau that has left him as a depth d-man, albeit surprisingly with the same NHL organization. He likely has a make or break year this year, although that has been said for the last couple by most Pens scouts.
Where is he now?: In the Calder Cup finals, although he has only paid 7 games with Wilkes-Barre this post-season.
Career Potential: third pairing defencemen, and realistically a long shot at that.

Colin McDonald – 3rd Round – 89th Overall – LW – USHS
NHL: 2nd round – 51st overall by Edmonton
McDonald was a physical high school winger headed to Providence, and his NCAA career was solid as one of their leading scorers, albeit on a very low scoring team. McDonald played his first AHL this past year and struggled bringing his offensive game to the pro level, although he physically handled himself quite well. The Blues traded McDonald in a massive deal with Phoenix in 2007 bring Rod Brind’Amour amongst many others to the Blues.
Career Potential: checking line, depth winger with a physical edge.

Zach Fitzgerald – 3rd Round – 90th Overall – D – Seattle (WHL)
NHL: 3rd round – 88th overall by St. Louis
Fitzgerald was a mean SOB out of the WHL and the Blues saw a potential poor man's Brendan Witt with his belligerence. He has continued his physical ways through his pro career, however his nasty streak has not been able to overcome below average skating by NHL standards. That said, he will undoubtedby continue to find employ in pro hockey for the foreseeable future, although whether he ever gets more than a cup of coffee in the NHL remains a realistic question.
Where is he now?: With the Canucks organization bouncing around and played one game for an injury decimated Canucks squad, although he mostly played in Manitoba.
Career Potential: 6th d-man upside, mostly due to his abilities as a pugilist.

Dustin Byfuglien – 3rd Round – 91st Overall – D – Prince George (WHL)
NHL: 8th round – 245th overall by Chicago
Ok, I have to pat myself on the back here. Not only did I go way off the board with Bubba in the 3rd round, but he is obviously the homerun pick to augment some rather pedestrian third rounders just ahead of him. Knowing I didn’t have another pick until the 8th round, I simply couldn’t see a player with more upside on the board and with three relatively safe vanilla picks before him, I pulled the trigger early on Byfuglien. Admittedly, I was pretty surprised he didn’t go until the 8th round (figured he’d go in the 5th), but that’s for NHL general managers to wring their hands over. Bubba has all the talent in the world, and with his frame, he still has not come close to hitting his ceiling.
Where is he now?: Still with the Hawks, where to my distress, he recently signed what is rumoured to be a three year, $8 million contract after scoring 19 goals as a hybrid winger / defenceman in less than a full season. It is looking more and more like he will be converted to a forward, although I hope he continues the split duties to help provide line-up flexibility for my Blues. At that price, he better do that and more.
Career Potential: 1st line power forward? Offensive defencemen with 20 goals? Who know, but I’d be satisfied with a 30 goal scoring power winger or simply a bruising blue-liner on the 1st power play unit. Really, I’m not that picky.

Tomas Vodicka (8th round – 248 overall) and Joni Lappalainen (9th round – 281st overall) continue to toil along with hockey careers in Europe, but their rights were released as neither seems likely to come over, mostly due to a simple lack of interest for average European players by NHL teams. With some solid blue collar players, I figured to try for a little European skill to mix things up. Really, I just didn’t want to start getting pigeon-holed in mock drafts with an all beefeater North American squad. Those guys can get pretty mean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad