Blue Jays Discussion: Blue Jays Showing Their Best Maple Leaf Impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He'll get a qualifying offer which is approximately 14m or so. I'm assuming they'll go 3 or 4 years with him and he'd be smart to take it considering he is already looking like a DH candidate. Maybe the Red Sox target him and overpay though.

Agree with the DH thing. Whether it's home or away, every stride seems to be a battle. I respect him for going all out defensively (maybe he has to in order to be effective), but he does take some pretty heavy hits on the grass/turf now and then. If someone signs him to a Choo type of deal they'll quickly regret it. Still want to bring him back though obviously.

MrLegend28*

its crazy how overrated innings pitched is and in 2014 people still follow it.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
its crazy how overrated innings pitched is and in 2014 people still follow it.

I don't understand your logic here

Is argue with the huge uptick in TJ and other elbow/shoulder injuries how can you say it's overrated? I'd say it's as important as ever.

Having a pitcher who can log high innings, avoid the dl, be reliable to make 30 starts is as valuable as it ever has been

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Anthopoulos was clear on Sunday: Sanchez is, indeed, capable of closing, “but I don’t ever see us considering him for that role. Depending on the off-season there is a chance he starts in the pen next year to watch innings, and then moves back to the rotation.”

He's at 118 innings so far and should be able to get to at least 130 IP. He should be able to go 160 IP so monitoring his IP shouldn't be much of an issue next season since he is likely to start out in the minors anyways.

If anything, you put him in the pen if he starts nearing the limit instead of starting him out there. I just hope Jays don't just leave him in the pen because he is having success there.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Miguel Castro 5IP, 2 hits, 1 ER, 2BB, 3K's, 1HR. 7-3 groundballs/flyouts in his Dunedin debut. Solid debut for a 19 year old in High A.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Dan Jansen had surgery to repair a meniscus tear. Haven't heard anything new regarding Pentecost but from a picture I saw awhile ago he was wearing a brace on his wrist and Urena has taken his number on the Canadians so it only makes sense that he is out too.

Tellez just hit his first home run for Lansing

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
TORONTO – The conversation between Jose Bautista and home-plate umpire Bill Welke after the Toronto Blue Jays slugger was called out looking Sunday pretty much went down like this:

Bautista: "They were both down. They were both down. It’s a one-run game."

Welke: "You gotta go."

Bautista: "I’m not cursing you."

Welke then ejects the all-star right-fielder.

Bautista: "What did I say? What did I say? What did I say?"

Little wonder then that Bautista stood his ground Monday, repeating that he was calm, polite and didn’t curse in his post-strikeout conversation with Welke. The exchange, reconstructed from various online feeds and audio, appears to prove just that.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/how-exchange-between-bautista-welke-transpired/

In no way does Jose deserve to get tossed for that.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
They were 14 games above .500 on June 6? Then I went to a game the next day against the Cards, and that's when things started to fall apart. They have not been the same since. I don't know what I did, but I guess I cursed them accidentally. Sorry, guys.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
keep it up jays get below 500. this way here u can sign a free agent without losing a draft pick. thats if anyone wants to play on a pretending ball club

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
They were 14 games above .500 on June 6? Then I went to a game the next day against the Cards, and that's when things started to fall apart. They have not been the same since. I don't know what I did, but I guess I cursed them accidentally. Sorry, guys.

Nope I think you can safely blame that on the injuries in July, then the fact that Jose Reyes was pretty much our only offensive contributor (of any large proportion) in August and our SP have combined for an ERA above 5.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
So you do not understand why people pay to watch Jays games?

Why do people pay (a lot more money) to watch Leafs games if they've been **** since the 05 lockout?

No I really don't. And all the effort they make to get to the Rogers centre.

The leafs I don't know. I really wish people stopped going to send a message to the team to put more effort in. If you look at other struggling franchises you see empty stadiums. Even Pitts, and Chicago when they sucked. Pitts was actually almost bought and relocated.

Toronto it just seems like we like to fill the stadium almost every event no matter how bad the product is

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't know much about Jason Leblebijian, but he just came in to pitch in extra innings for Lansing. He's a 2nd baseman.

Not sure I've ever seen a position player pitch in the 10th before.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
correlation /= causation.

It's just another one of those swings in a baseball season. Teams run hot and cold. We played well for a while without some of our best players, that was bound to catch up to us, that goes double when the guys who were on hot streak eventually had to cool off.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
correlation /= causation.

It's just another one of those swings in a baseball season. Teams run hot and cold. We played well for a while without some of our best players, that was bound to catch up to us, that goes double when the guys who were on hot streak eventually had to cool off.

It definitely could be just a cold spell. However, there is decent evidence to suggest that the team quit because they didn't get anyone at the trade deadline. After the ASB the team was on fire. They did play harder teams in August, Tigers, M's and Orioles. They also lost against easier opponents.

The team whined they didn't get anyone at the deadline. I only pay attention to hockey and baseball. I can't recall a team publicly calling out their GM because he did not make a trade.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The very first game after the deadline passed(July 31st game, it was after the deadline, just hours after those comments) they went out and won a hard fought comeback win.

So you think they went out, 1st game after, playing with lots of heart win a game, and then after a night of sleep the wake up and say, well this just isn't worth it and quit on the team? :laugh:

just because a few players calls out their GM and then suddenly goes on a losing streak doesn't mean ****. Losing streaks happen, this one happened to be after that happened.

I'm not saying it's not deflating, but to say they just quit is ridiculous

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I don't understand your logic here

Is argue with the huge uptick in TJ and other elbow/shoulder injuries how can you say it's overrated? I'd say it's as important as ever.

Having a pitcher who can log high innings, avoid the dl, be reliable to make 30 starts is as valuable as it ever has been

http://grantland.com/features/history-shows-washington-nationals-shut-stephen-strasburg-too-soon/

Great article to read on inning limits when it came to the Nationals shutting down Strasburg in 2012.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
The very first game after the deadline passed(July 31st game, it was after the deadline, just hours after those comments) they went out and won a hard fought comeback win.

Also had a great comeback game against the Tigers after the deadline.

So you think they went out, 1st game after, playing with lots of heart win a game, and then after a night of sleep the wake up and say, well this just isn't worth it and quit on the team? :laugh:

Did I say that? I think they thought that they needed more players. They expected a trade. When it didn't happen, they folded. The record strongly suggest that's what happened. Quit is likely too strong of a word.

just because a few players calls out their GM and then suddenly goes on a losing streak doesn't mean ****. Losing streaks happen, this one happened to be after that happened.

I'm not saying it's not deflating, but to say they just quit is ridiculous

How often do players call out their GM for not making a trade?

To brush off a losing streak right after a few players call out the GM is asinine. This team is only missing Lawrie. They were winning without EE and Lind. I believe they have the worst record after the deadline. I am definitely open to it being a coincidence. However, I think there is good evidence to suggest that it is more than a coincidence.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Also had a great comeback game against the Tigers after the deadline.

Did I say that? I think they thought that they needed more players. They expected a trade. When it didn't happen, they folded. The record strongly suggest that's what happened. Quit is likely too strong of a word.

How often do players call out their GM for not making a trade?

To brush off a losing streak right after a few players call out the GM is asinine. This team is only missing Lawrie. They were winning without EE and Lind. I believe they have the worst record after the deadline. I am definitely open to it being a coincidence. However, I think there is good evidence to suggest that it is more than a coincidence.

Yeah I don't think it's a coincidence either. Even though Bautista and Janssen were the vocal ones, they were speaking of what most of the clubhouse was feeling and clearly players are upset more help wasn't brought in for the final push. I don't think they folded right away or anything but after a few losses, I think it has just snowballed and the team looks very deflated right now and pretty much given up.

Jays should be trying to trade Janssen and Rasmus for whatever they can get before the waiver trade deadline is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad