Blue Jays Discussion: Blue Jays Showing Their Best Maple Leaf Impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
This is for sure the offseason where heads have to roll. They can't wait until Bautista and Edwin are gone to start the rebuild.

No reason to trade Edwin yet, hes on an even better contract then Bautista and still has 2 more years. Unless you want to tear it down completely and go through a couple more years of awful baseball (might not be a bad idea) then we would be better off retaining the core group and try to add to it.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
The whole Latino family could potentiially go if JB goes
Reyes Cabrera Bautista Encarnacion Navarro Francisco.....
JB is like their Godfather

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
No reason to trade Edwin yet, hes on an even better contract then Bautista and still has 2 more years. Unless you want to tear it down completely and go through a couple more years of awful baseball (might not be a bad idea) then we would be better off retaining the core group and try to add to it.

I don't think you move one without moving the other. No half measures. They could deal both (separately) and return like 4 or 5 top 50 prospects between the two of them. Let Morrow walk, let McGowan walk, let Rasmus walk (comp pick), let Melky walk(comp pick) and go with youth/stop gaps for a year or two. I'd keep Dickey and MB as mentors for a young rotation next year. Keep Reyes as well because I don't see many teams that could afford him thus depreciated returns.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I don't think you move one without moving the other. No half measures. They could deal both (separately) and return like 4 or 5 top 50 prospects between the two of them. Let Morrow walk, let McGowan walk, let Rasmus walk (comp pick), let Melky walk(comp pick) and go with youth/stop gaps for a year or two. I'd keep Dickey and MB as mentors for a young rotation next year. Keep Reyes as well because I don't see many teams that could afford him thus depreciated returns.

Not that I disagree with you, but only Melky will get you a comp pick. Rasmus would accept a QO and you would be stuck with him next year at $14 million.

DatsyukianDeke*

Some people are so delusional in their trades. Reminds me of the trade and rumors board on here, people want to trade for their teams needs but it doesn't make any sense from the other team.

Wong and Taveras for Bautista and Buerhle? Why the hell would the Cards do that. The last thing they need is pitching now. They just went and got Masterson and Lackey to add to their rotation of 7+ starters when healthy and they already have a full outfield with Holliday, Jay and Taveras along with bourjous.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Some people are so delusional in their trades. Reminds me of the trade and rumors board on here, people want to trade for their teams needs but it doesn't make any sense from the other team.

Wong and Taveras for Bautista and Buerhle? Why the hell would the Cards do that. The last thing they need is pitching now. They just went and got Masterson and Lackey to add to their rotation of 7+ starters when healthy and they already have a full outfield with Holliday, Jay and Taveras along with bourjous.

I'd deal Bautista/Edwin in-division to Baltimore for Bundy+Urrita+Sisco or to the Nationals for Giolito+Skole+Goodwin. If we could pull both those, man, our farm would be loaded.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Question is, would he want to stick around if we were signalling that we were clearly beginning a rebuild?

Pretty much if there's a hint that Bautista is gonna want out Melky will not be anywhere near this team next year. I'm sure Jose will let him know ahead of time as well.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
MLB ‏@MLB 16m
Major League Baseball denies Rays’ formal protest regarding Saturday’s game in Toronto.

If anyone actually thought they were going to uphold it... :laugh:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
As for the whole Bautista trade crap. As I see it there are 2 options.

1. resign Melky, get a good 2B, and try to go through this 1 more time with a younger pitching staff potentially trading Dickey or Buerhle and going Stro/Hutch/Sanchez, the other of Dickey/Buerhle and probably some stopgap until they decide Norris is ready which might the the start of the year anyway.

2. Melky doesn't resign, no half assed attempt to keep being competitive when we won't be. Trade Bautista/EE, Reyes if he has any value with that contract, get a group of ready/almost ready positional prospects that you can run out there with Lawrie/Pompey in a year or so and be competitive then. If Melky doesn't resign, we're probably not going to be competitive, trade Jose/EE while they could still return some nice prospects and see where that takes us

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Bautista for Wong + Miller + Piscotty. Get it done AA!

If I were to ever trade Bautista and it was to the Cards I'd go for a Wong + Holliday + Kaminsky deal.

Fill in our hole at 2B, fill in Bautista's bat in the lineup with Holliday (who is having a down year, may be older but he would still provide a decent middle of the lineup bat) and add another solid pitching prospect to our system. One that fills a few holes with decent value players in return for Bautista. Still a big if though.

On a side note I wonder if Holliday would be a reasonable player to target this offseason, maybe St. Louis would do a Holliday for Beurhle swap?

Last edited:

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
As for the whole Bautista trade crap. As I see it there are 2 options.

1. resign Melky, get a good 2B, and try to go through this 1 more time with a younger pitching staff potentially trading Dickey or Buerhle and going Stro/Hutch/Sanchez, the other of Dickey/Buerhle and probably some stopgap until they decide Norris is ready which might the the start of the year anyway.

2. Melky doesn't resign, no half assed attempt to keep being competitive when we won't be. Trade Bautista/EE, Reyes if he has any value with that contract, get a group of ready/almost ready positional prospects that you can run out there with Lawrie/Pompey in a year or so and be competitive then. If Melky doesn't resign, we're probably not going to be competitive, trade Jose/EE while they could still return some nice prospects and see where that takes us

Even with Melky, do you want to bet losing out on two huge prospect bearing trades on the hope that Stroman, Sanchez, and Hutchinson all blossom next year? I'd rather trade JB and EE and get some almost ready guys that will be ready when those three plus Norris are in their primes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad