Blue Jays Discussion: Blue Jays acquire 3B Danny Valencia from KC for C Erik Kratz & P Liam Hendriks

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I was looking at the jays season to see our record vs boston (we will be 8-3) but I noticed our last 4 series are against Baltimore twice, the Yankees and the mariners, the 3 teams we are closest to in the standings... Could be very interesting!

If it holds up that last homestand will be amazing

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
FOX Sports' Jon Morosi reports that the Blue Jays, Cardinals, Pirates and Braves have scouts at Monday's Bartolo Colon versus A.J. Burnett matchup.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Maybe if the Jays didn't send all these scouts around they could actually afford some player payroll /hottake

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Maybe if the Jays didn't send all these scouts around they could actually afford some player payroll /hottake

I never understood it, I mean are you seriously going to tell me you can see better from your box then watching on TV? You can't see **** way up there!

HOCKEYGOON

Feb 27, 2002
The Penalty Box
Visit site
FOX Sports' Jon Morosi reports that the Blue Jays, Cardinals, Pirates and Braves have scouts at Monday's Bartolo Colon versus A.J. Burnett matchup.

I would love Colon for the visual of seeing Navarro catch him

BkOnzGSCAAAoJkT.png

1297546842349_ORIGINAL.jpg

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
Bartolo Colon

Height: 5' 11", Weight: 285 lb., which really makes him around 5"9, 300llbs

Wow, athlete?

Actually?? That's ****ed up. I've seen some pretty fat people that were less than 6 feet and only around 250.

As for the Valencia trade, I love it. Two pretty expendable guys, especially Hendriks. Even though they won the game on Saturday, having 4 straight lefty bats and no righties on the bench was borderline embarrassing given how poorly they hit lefty pitching.

So when Lawrie comes back, he goes back to being 2B/3B, I would assume play 3B against lefties and Valencia come in and play 2B? Against righties he goes back to 2B and Francisco plays 3B? I'm down with that. If we could slot Valencia at 8 or 9 in Kawasaki or Gose's spot and get anywhere close to his .333 against lefties in that spot to turn the lineup over for Reyes that would be ideal.

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
A rout against the Sox is always satisfying, especially at Fenway.
2 games back now.. as for Valencia, statistically good against LHP. So I suppose it does address a need. AVG against lefties is around .333 if I'm not mistaken.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd be down for a Bartolo trade on one condition; he has to be put in the lineup regardless of DH.

Watching Bartolo attempt to hit is truly a sight that must be seen by all baseball fans.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Gideon Turk ‏@gideonturk 3h
Source:Roberto Osuna threw a simulated game in DUN yesterday. Looked impressive according to those in attendance.

More good news!

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Is he better defensively that Fransico? That could allow Lawrie to play more 2B once he returns off the DL

He'll get the job done, won't be in the highlight package every game though. Biggest asset is his hitting against southpaws, they'll platoon him and Francisco depending on the pitcher, Lawrie will be 2B upon return IMO.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Some of you may not like him, or respect him and the steroids yadda yadda. but this article about bonds is just wow. some of the stats..

http://regressing.deadspin.com/barry-bonds-was-an-alien-god-who-destroyed-space-time-t-1610228611

Honestly, I don't understand why we didn't go after Bonds in 2008. He still had a lot left in the tank and came off a ~30 homer season at AT&T Park, pretty much the most pitcher friendly park in the majors. Definitely could've been a 40 HR guy in the hitter-friendly Rogers Centre, even at his old age. There wouldn't have been any bidding war since surprisingly no one else wanted him. Not to mention we needed a competent LF/DH pretty badly, since we were tossing out **** like Shannon Stewart, Brad Wilkerson, and Kevin Mench out there in that spot on an everyday basis. You telling me you'd have taken any 3 of those over Bonds? We had awesome pitching that year and a horroawful offense (although Wells, Rios, and Hill were all gone for a long time that season). No excuse not to go after him. Could've been a playoff team.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Really satisfied with the Valencia signing.

For a team that gets accused of living and dying with the long ball game as much as the Jays get accused of it, Valencia's OBP is only going to help dispel that perception.

If he plays 2nd as comfortably as he plays 3rd, he'll be a very good, cost-effective addition to the roster.

I like it. :nod:

BB

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Syndergaard + + + + + +

Literally

I would assume the starting price would be Tejada (not sure hes enough) + Syndergaard + Montero type package.

Looking at it, the Mets system is not so good to make that kind of a deal.

Last edited:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Really satisfied with the Valencia signing.

For a team that gets accused of living and dying with the long ball game as much as the Jays get accused of it, Valencia's OBP is only going to help dispel that perception.

If he plays 2nd as comfortably as he plays 3rd, he'll be a very good, cost-effective addition to the roster.

I like it. :nod:

BB

He doesn't. The move essentially means Brett will be at 2B for the stretch run, with Francisco\Valencia platooning at 3rd, and Tolleson coming in as a late game defensive replacement\pinch runner if he is kept on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad