Blue Jackets / Kings series notes

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Kings fans may be happy their team earned a split in Columbus, but they have to be concerned about how they did it. *After getting blown out 8-3 in game 1, it took a stellar performance from starter Cam Ward (seeking redemption for game 1, no doubt), some remarkably uneven officiating, and a double-overtime break for the Kings to head home even in the series.

After fairly even penalties in Game 1, the Kings enjoyed a 7-1 advantage in powerplays in Game 2, yet still found themselves on the short end of a 49-37 shot total in the 81:50 minute marathon. *LA was outshot 6-1 in the second OT frame, but came up with the win when John Madden picked off a Trevor Daley pass in the neutral zone to spring Curtis Glencross on a breakaway just under two minutes in. *Glencross' shot from the slot just missed wide, but a lucky carom off the end boards brought the puck back onto his stick at the side of the net, where he was able to tuck it past a sprawling Tomas Vokoun to even the series.

It was a real letdown for the Jackets, who had come back from two goals down after the first period to force overtime, but the team didn't seem to be taking the loss too hard.

"If they're going to need double overtime, a lucky bounce and a goalie standing on his head to beat us, I feel pretty good about our chances in the series," Jackets Captain Kimmo Timonen said as the team got ready to fly to Los Angeles for Game 3. "That said, we've given up three goals in each of the first two games, and that's not how we like to do business. *We'll need to focus on tightening things up in our own end, cutting down on the turnovers. *That's what we have to do to*put ourselves in the best position to win."

The Western Conference Quarter Final resumes tonight in Los Angeles.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I think the Kings' defense actually held the Blue Jackets to the perimiter, and those were low-percentage shots that were easy saves.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I think the Kings' defense actually held the Blue Jackets to the perimiter, and those were low-percentage shots that were easy saves.

Could be. Of greater concern is the fact that the one powerplay I did get was a major, but I couldn't capitalize. I actually expect you to be able to slow down my scorers on most nights, but by the same token I should be able to keep your boys from finding the twine more than once or twice a night, and so far I'm not doing it. 'Twill be interesting, indeed!

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Three of four games in the West went into overtime today, including this series, where the Kings earned their second victory in double O/T again, this time on the strength of a powerplay that went 2 for 3, while their PK shut down all three Jackets man advantage opportunities. It's now a best of three, with the Jackets enjoying home ice advantage. We hope.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
http://hfnhl.com/2012/playoffs/HFNHL1-PLF-40.html

Former Jacket Marek Zidlicky scored the game tying goal and assisted on the winner as the Kings took game five 5-3. The Kings' PP went 2 for 5.

The Jackets went 0-for-1, which tells you all you need to know. Despite zero checking ratings, the Jackets continue to give up a disproportionate number of powerplays, and seem unable to prevent one or two finding two the twine each game. No excuses now, all games are "must win".

GM Emerson was heard to say "screw this - I'm going to Vegas. We'll get better odds than we're getting from these officials."

Chalk up a league fine for d. Weston.

And yes, I am in Vegas. (Texhnxally Phoenix, heading to Vegas tomorrow. Okay, technically still Calgary en route to Phoenix because we missed our connection due to weather. You know what? Shut up. Who asked you?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad