Blow this team up already!

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Honestly, get rid of Treliving too while you're at it. It's not like he made a difference anyway. This was the worst team we've had in awhile, both regular season and playoffs.

Let's really make it count.
I think Treliving made a lot of good moves since he was hired, and he walked into a very difficult situation.

In my opinion, he deserves to put his stamp on this team before he can be fairly judged. I would give him at least one more year to hire his own coach and continue reconstructing the roster.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Treliving made a lot of good moves since he was hired, and he walked into a very difficult situation.

In my opinion, he deserves to put his stamp on this roster before he can be fairly judged. I would give him at least one more year to hire his own coach and continue reconstructing the roster.

Ehhhh his resume is pretty average at best going back awhile. Two of his biggest signings from free agency were either unplayable or just plain average. He has made some good additions but like... not anywhere good enough.

I'm just saying if we want to blow it up, you blow it up.

Reactions: leafs in five

mogs

Jan 11, 2007
Jasper AB
If we get rid of Marner at least he won't be like every other former Leafs that comes back and lights them up, because we all now how Marner plays in important games. He'd never score a point against the Leafs.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
I'd like to give the group a shot with a real coach, and a real goalie before I say blow it up.

Besides you can't blow it up because you just signed Matthews and Nylander.

But you can fire Keefe, Shanny, maybe Boucher, although I'd personally make him the PK coach, he's known for defense he shouldn't be coaching the PP that was always an odd spot to put him, somebody that's been on a PP should coach the PP.

Fire the goalie coach too because he did an awful job.

There is blood to be spilled but it belongs to the coaching staff and possibly Shanny, although I'm not convinced Shanny gets fired but I'm not against it.

Shanny won't be fired. Think of the Leafs before Shanahan. Under his leadership, they are consistently one of the better teams in the league, albeit without playoff success. Also I cant see them getting rid of Shanny without giving Treliving more time to see if that was a good decision.

IF the Leafs lose to Boston, and I still think they have a shot, Keefe will be fired, Samsonov will be gone and Tre will add to the team. Damien Cox and the other Toronto media are already setting the narrative if you're paying attention.

Injuries and sickness and bad refs. Not the players fault, just bad luck. But if someone's head has to roll, it's Keefe and Samsonov and bring the big boys back. Oh, and be nicer about what you say about Mitch, because you're hurting his feelings and you need to make him feel loved.

Reactions: ITM

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
The Maple Leaf jersey is too heavy on some people.

It doesn't mean they are bad hockey players or bad execs or anything, it's just that they can't keep up in this market.

Hopefully ownership realizes this so we can bring in some people capable of wearing the jersey.

Reactions: TheShape

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
With the criticism he is getting from everyone in hockey, is it realistic to think he wouldn't welcome a move?
Not sure. I think that Mitch might be wired differently. Might let ego get in the way? The only way would be for him to get sent to a surefire contender. He would most assuredly have to be retained. Unless there is another $11M player out there who needs a change of scenery :help:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
MM had never gotten so much heat from the medias. And I don’t think the medias are on him for clicks but rather it is his play.

Personally, I think he will stay and plays lights out hockey in the first few months as he will force his way to play with AM. Then sign a huge contract and hope he doesn’t disappears again in playoffs.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Can't wait for the 2026 reset. The Tavares contract comes off the books and there will be only a select few signed at that time

It's time to revamp this team

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Can't wait for the 2026 reset. The Tavares contract comes off the books and there will be only a select few signed at that time

It's time to revamp this team

Maybe shedding Tavares and Marner gives us the Chara and Savard additions needed to change the culture of the team.

Also think we may need a more alpha core piece that makes Matthews the junior partner. You can certainly make it work with a 60-70 goal man, but I think you need a prime level superstar that’s dragging him up than Matthews being the pace setter.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Maybe shedding Tavares and Marner gives us the Chara and Savard additions needed to change the culture of the team.

Also think we may need a more alpha core piece that makes Matthews the junior partner. You can certainly make it work with a 60-70 goal man, but I think you need a prime level superstar that’s dragging him up than Matthews being the pace setter.
Sounds like Brady Tkachuk 🤔

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009

We need one of those Huberdeau for Tkachuk type trades

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Remember when I kept saying that we needed to Trade Willy? That we could have gotten great return from him? That of the 3, we hold all the cards with him and he was peak value?

Yes, Marner has to go. But Marner controls his destiny, not us and his value is incredibly low. We are not getting anything for Marner. Marner gets to just walk. Which is fine, his 11M in cap space is more valuable then he is right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Shanny won't be fired. Think of the Leafs before Shanahan. Under his leadership, they are consistently one of the better teams in the league, albeit without playoff success. Also I cant see them getting rid of Shanny without giving Treliving more time to see if that was a good decision.

IF the Leafs lose to Boston, and I still think they have a shot, Keefe will be fired, Samsonov will be gone and Tre will add to the team. Damien Cox and the other Toronto media are already setting the narrative if you're paying attention.

Injuries and sickness and bad refs. Not the players fault, just bad luck. But if someone's head has to roll, it's Keefe and Samsonov and bring the big boys back. Oh, and be nicer about what you say about Mitch, because you're hurting his feelings and you need to make him feel loved.
You're probably correct. I wouldn't mind seeing this team with an actual NHL coach, so I suppose I could stomach one more year with this core.

I would not extend Marner anytime soon though.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I hate how divided leaf fans have become. I wish we could all get back on the same page but don’t know what that will look like.
I don't think we are that divided. There are a couple of posters that still think Dubas walks on water, but it's less than 5.

Most are on board with a coaching change, and a redistribution of the cap that is currently going to 4 forwards

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Let's look at the worst-case scenario and assume no one wants to waive their NMC.

The strategy moving forward should be to change the entire coaching staff, remove Shanahan (MLSE decision but is essential), and begin working on the backbone of the team as a multi-year process. This includes finding a better goaltender and improving the defense. These changes won't be for next season but for what will happen once cap space opens up as the two core pieces are removed (Tavares + Marner). $22 million in cap space + the cap raise is massive.

Absolutely refuse to sign an extension with Marner and wait for their contracts to run out. Maybe that pressure will get him to waive anyway. I don't care if he puts up 110 points in a contract year. Just ride it out and assume the next playoffs are a write-off with him there. It's unfortunate to lose an asset for nothing but it would be even worse re-signing Marner to an 8-year extension.

The Leafs have tried everything with this core and it's not working. Literally every other piece has been removed since they've been here except Liljegren.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Sounds like Brady Tkachuk 🤔
I was thinking Sid. Huge pipe dream, I get it. In all likelihood he retires a Pen. There might be a part of him that wants one more realistic kick at it before retirement.

Marner @ $1M retained for Sid straight up.

Better to have Sid for at least a year to lead, than let Marner walk for nothing. $1M/year cheaper. Bertuzzi comes off of the books. Alocate that $6M towards D.

Crosby at 2C and Tavares at 3C isn't bad.

Knies, McMan and Robertson a year older and getting paid peanuts to fill in the wing. Take $16M from wing and put it towards C and D

As I said. Huge pipe dream.

Here are three other outrageous ideas.

Marner for Benn and Stankoven

Marner for Saros and Schenn

Marner for Debrincat and rights to Kane

Last edited:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

That was the argument for signing Tavares lol

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
Let's look at the worst-case scenario and assume no one wants to waive their NMC.

The strategy moving forward should be to change the entire coaching staff, remove Shanahan (MLSE decision but is essential), and begin working on the backbone of the team as a multi-year process. This includes finding a better goaltender and improving the defense. These changes won't be for next season but for what will happen once cap space opens up as the two core pieces are removed (Tavares + Marner). $22 million in cap space + the cap raise is massive.

Absolutely refuse to sign an extension with Marner and wait for their contracts to run out. Maybe that pressure will get him to waive anyway. I don't care if he puts up 110 points in a contract year. Just ride it out and assume the next playoffs are a write-off with him there. It's unfortunate to lose an asset for nothing but it would be even worse re-signing Marner to an 8-year extension.

The Leafs have tried everything with this core and it's not working. Literally every other piece has been removed since they've been here except Liljegren.
The good thing about the salary cap is everyone has to abide by it. If you DID lose Marner for nothing, you aren't really losing him for nothing you are exchanging him for the cap room he would take up on his new contract.
Which also means if you really DO think he is a problem on your team, you can trade him for....in theory...a 2nd round draft pick and a 2nd pair D-man. Is that worth it in an "NHL 94" world? Not at all, but what you in reality would be doing is trading him for that 2nd round pick, that D-man AND cap space.

If they decide ANY of these players are an issue, I'm find with a trade. You aren't trading the 2018-2019 version of Marner (making about $1million per year, giving you 90+ points and only being in his early 20's) You would be trading a guy taking up 12%+ of your cap space who is likely to be worse at the end of his next contract than he is now.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Shanny and his crew get fired pretty quickly after da playoffs .. it won't take long .. and then search for a new hockey guy starts .. then Marner and JT get moved out or sit on sidelines .. they both likely move their no trades as it does not help either to sit season .. i doubt JT retires .. but a hard line must be taken with both in best interests of TEAM .. after a few games everyone will forget JT and Mitch .. and so it goes .. new hockey guy will build new team with FA D men and let kids play C with Minten and Cowan playing with Matty and Holmberg .. let Gs Woll and Hildeby get their chance to play .. team will slide down standings next year but a rebuild may only take 2 years here
Will the organization have the balls to say to Mitch, waive the NMC or we sit you all season?

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Tavares will finish his time as a Leaf. He's almost done and he does try.
I think he will re-sign for 3-4 million.

Shanny and his crew get fired pretty quickly after da playoffs .. it won't take long .. and then search for a new hockey guy starts .. then Marner and JT get moved out or sit on sidelines .. they both likely move their no trades as it does not help either to sit season .. i doubt JT retires .. but a hard line must be taken with both in best interests of TEAM .. after a few games everyone will forget JT and Mitch .. and so it goes .. new hockey guy will build new team with FA D men and let kids play C with Minten and Cowan playing with Matty and Holmberg .. let Gs Woll and Hildeby get their chance to play .. team will slide down standings next year but a rebuild may only take 2 years here
I hope so

I kind of hope we go after cooper but he’s still
Got a year left on the deal.

30 million next year to fix some holes.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
IMG_0013.jpeg
IMG_0014.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0013.png
    IMG_0013.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 2