Bloomington Bison joining ECHL in 2024-25

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I didn't move to McLean County until 2016, so it was before my time, but my wife is from the area and she pointed out that the old Prairie Thunder had a Bison head as part of their logo, too:

0jm9fd4og27k0j79ue3n7rztb.gif

Maybe an homage to the past if they go with Bison?

Reactions: mk80 and Roadhog

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
As with the case of Fuel and Freight, the organization just likes plural words that don't use the letter "s" to signify many.

Reactions: mk80

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
As with the case of Fuel and Freight, the organization just likes plural words that don't use the letter "s" to signify many.
NOW we're gettin' some traction ... "Bloomington Brown Trout" ... "Twin City Swine" ... "Central Illinois Shrimp" ...

I didn't move to McLean County until 2016, so it was before my time, but my wife is from the area and she pointed out that the old Prairie Thunder had a Bison head as part of their logo, too:

View attachment 806174

Maybe an homage to the past if they go with Bison?
Less homage, more desperation to attract any lingering P/T fans who never escaped the area.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
NOW we're gettin' some traction ... "Bloomington Brown Trout" ... "Twin City Swine" ... "Central Illinois Shrimp" ...

Less homage, more desperation to attract any lingering P/T fans who never escaped the area.
The bolded might be off the table since it's too similar to the Illinois Valley Pistol Shrimp summer wood bat team located a short jog up I-39 in Peru, IL

Illinois_Valley_Pistol_Shrimp.png

Reactions: JMCx4

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

I’m fine with teams that don’t end in s, but that being said Bison is a significantly better name than Fuel or especially Freight.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Name reveal coming Wednesday morning, so no name the team contest, and also some fairly optimistic financial projections, imho:

Hope it succeeds.

Reactions: Roadhog

jtheteacher

Jan 20, 2024
Indy went a decade without *pro* hockey, but it's not like the market was dormant. There was a USHL team in town that won two Clark Cups and was pretty well-supported. Indy hasn't been "dark" since the 1987-88 season.

The Halletts have done a great job operating the Fuel. It's a professionally-run operation, and the team's attendance is very good (and growing) - and I expect it will grow substantially with the move to Fishers. There is next to zero media coverage - which is typical for a team in a major league market - but the Fuel do a really good job of promoting themselves on social media and they sell the games as a fun night out and go hard into promotions and group sales.

In Bloomington-Normal, you have the benefit of being the only pro team in town during the winter, with Illinois State the only other competition for eyeballs. With some solid marketing (and some partnerships - especially with State Farm HQ right there), I really believe they can follow the template they used in Indy and grow the game there. In a lot of markets, you just need good ownership and fans who believe the people running the show care.
And don't forget RIVIAN which now employs quite a few locals.....Since the naming rights to the building expired long ago, not to mention there aren't ANY Grossinger dealerships anywhere, how does "Rivian-rena" sound

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
And don't forget RIVIAN which now employs quite a few locals.....Since the naming rights to the building expired long ago, not to mention there aren't ANY Grossinger dealerships anywhere, how does "Rivian-rena" sound
Sounds like nonsense. So it's bound to be on the short-list.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Well, to be clear, the colors are clearly Chicago, but the star is only a five-pointer and not the six-point star of Chicago's.

And the thunderbolt is a nod, but it also looks more like an N, so also a nod to Normal?

Reactions: mk80

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Bison signed a 20-year lease, so that's hopefully a pretty significant guarantee for the city, though obviously early exit clauses undoubtedly exist.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Well, to be clear, the colors are clearly Chicago, but the star is only a five-pointer and not the six-point star of Chicago's.

And the thunderbolt is a nod, but it also looks more like an N, so also a nod to Normal?
The more you guys make me look at the details of this logo, the bigger the artistic cluster gets. But hopefully the logo will be too small to see on the player jerseys from the stands. :rolleyes:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... And the thunderbolt is a nod, but it also looks more like an N, so also a nod to Normal?
More likely a nod to one or both previous Bloomington Thunder clubs (SPHL & USHL). Once you start counting up the former hockey teams in that town, it should give one pause if they think the Bison have an easy trail ahead.

jtheteacher

Jan 20, 2024
As mentioned in the press conference, the designer was from Bloomington. Bison is to represent the animals that used to roam the prairie. The shield in the back pays homage to Rt. 66. The star inside the state of Illinois represents the approximate location of Bloomington. The stovepipe hat is for Abe Lincoln. Lighting Bolt is for thunderstorms that crop up across the area.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
As mentioned in the press conference, the designer was from Bloomington. Bison is to represent the animals that used to roam the prairie. The shield in the back pays homage to Rt. 66. The star inside the state of Illinois represents the approximate location of Bloomington. The stovepipe hat is for Abe Lincoln. Lighting Bolt is for thunderstorms that crop up across the area.
Any snacks or merch giveaways at the presser? Did they charge admission?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad