OT: Blizzard of 2022

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Warnings​

4:27 AM CDT Tuesday 12 April 2022
Winter storm warning in effect for:

• City of Winnipeg
Hazardous winter conditions are expected.

Major spring storm poised to wallop southern Manitoba beginning overnight Tuesday into Wednesday morning and lasting until Friday morning. Widespread snowfall accumulations of 30-50 cm accompanied by northerly winds gusting 60-70 km/h giving zero visibility at times in snow and blowing snow.

A Colorado low will move towards Minnesota Tuesday night bringing a heavy swath of snow through most of southern Manitoba. The snow will start early Tuesday evening near the International border then push northward throughout the night. By Wednesday morning heavy snow will be falling in much of the area as the storm continues to push northward. Strong northerly winds will develop with this system and persist into Friday morning as the low slowly pivots through Minnesota on it's way into northwestern Ontario.

For the City of Winnipeg and points southeastward, a break in the snow may occur on Wednesday afternoon or evening before snow re-intensifies overnight into Thursday. 15 to 20 cm is likely by Wednesday afternoon, with a further 15 to 20 cm likely with the second area of snow overnight Wednesday through Thursday and Thursday night.

By Friday morning, widespread snowfall accumulations of 30 to 40 cm are likely.

Travel will become increasingly difficult as the day progresses Wednesday, with widespread highway closures a near-certainty. By Wednesday evening even travel within communities may become impossible as the heavy snow and strong winds continue... and more of the same is expected on Thursday.

Do not plan to travel - this storm has the potential to be the worst blizzard in decades. Stock up on needed supplies and medications now. Power outages are likely, rural areas in particular should be prepared for extended outages.

Conditions should begin to improve on Friday as the winds taper off and the heaviest snow moves into northern Ontario...although the clean-up after this storm will likely last well into next week.

Consider postponing non-essential travel until conditions improve. Rapidly accumulating snow will make travel difficult. Prepare for quickly changing and deteriorating travel conditions. There may be a significant impact on rush hour traffic in urban areas. Heavy snowfall accumulation combined with strong winds may cause damage to trees or other structures. Poor weather conditions may contribute to transportation delays.

Winter storm warnings are issued when multiple types of severe winter weather are expected to occur together.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #MBStorm.

Is everyone all prepped for this storm? Any sense if the Seattle game is going to be postponed?

Reactions: GNP

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I don't see an issue with the game getting played Wednesday night as both teams can already be in Winnipeg. The problem will be getting the Jets out of here for their games on Friday and Saturday in Florida. Seattle doesn't play again until Saturday vs NJ, so it's not as critical for them.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Is everyone all prepped for this storm? Any sense if the Seattle game is going to be postponed?
Should be mention how nice it is in the Yukon today...?

Reactions: Stumbledore

None

Feb 22, 2012
I don't see an issue with the game getting played Wednesday night as both teams can already be in Winnipeg. The problem will be getting the Jets out of here for their games on Friday and Saturday in Florida. Seattle doesn't play again until Saturday vs NJ, so it's not as critical for them.

I think the bigger issue would be getting Seattle into Winnipeg given that they play Calgary tonight and won't be flying until the storm is hitting Winnipeg.

I've heard that the game is already in the motions of being postponed but we'll see :dunno:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Anytime we get a huge blizzard when we should be golfing i get mad but after this winter we had to endure i'm absolutely pissed.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
All Winnipeg school buses will be parked Wednesday and Thursday owing to a predicted historic snowstorm tracking into southern Manitoba.

City school divisions confirmed Tuesday buses won’t be running, including in Pembina Trails, River East Transcona, Seven Oaks, St. James-Assiniboia, Louis-Riel and Winnipeg.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers already cancelled 3 events they had this week and weekend. I work for the city and theres massive preparations going on to try to keep city open, not sure how effective itll be. Get your cars off the streets please! My dentist rescheduled my appt from tmw. Honestly ive never really seen anything like this, i was only 7 in Apr 97 for that one lol.

Reactions: Jets 31

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Its expected to be a slow event and with modern snow removal techics it shouldn't be too bad. Its out in the open that will be wicked. Luckily I only have a couple miles of prairie next door. Time to check the tractor over.

By the way I went to the NJ game back in the day in the back of a 4x4 truck in a snowmobile suit !

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Should be mention how nice it is in the Yukon today...?
Well I live in Edmonton these days, where it's not great (-8c, skiff of snow overnight), but that's not 30-50cm of snow.

I wasn't actually in Winnipeg in 1997 - I was out of town at a university conference. But I do remember being stuck in Grand Forks because the border was closed and trying desperately to find a hotel room or restaurant that was open.

Stay safe everyone.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
97 was a blast. I was at the LC in town. Being new I'm like holy #@$% these people like there booze at lunch. Then it dawns on me the Blizzard! This must serious as its busy as heck Lady said people were waiting for them to open this morning. Man I'm falling in love with this town lol.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Alexa, is there a Jets game tomorrow?
dinono.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: macmaroon

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Its more than just having the teams in town, you need all the people who run the arena during a game, all the event staff who handle tickets and concession sales and the fans. It probably isn't safe to ask all those people to make their way downtown during what could be one of the worst storms in decades.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I remember the blizzard of 1997.
No school for 2 days, Winnipeg School Division 1 said f*** it.
Watched tons of TV, no internet.

Great times.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Curious to see the outcome of this. I was definitely around for 97. Was also around for November 1986 which I thought was considerably worse than 97. Also alive for 66 though I was only 2 at the time, but I've seen pictures and I think it topped both from what I've heard.

Thanks for the posts regarding the Jets game tomorrow and it's cancellation. Happy to hear I don't have to steal my wife's truck to get to the game. You can take the wife off the farm, but you canna have her truck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad