Post-Game Talk: BLESS YOU BOYS WHAT A GAME! | Leafs Beat Hawks 4-3

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Really liked Hyman in this game (and all 3 games so far, really). It's funny how many people have dumped on him as if there was no way he could improve on his rookie season. I'm going to keep an open mind on this, who knows how good he can be?

Agreed. Lots of people bitch and complain about being on Matthews line but he really does make space for the other two and he is starting to get better at making use of the space he gets.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Agreed. Lots of people bitch and complain about being on Matthews line but he really does make space for the other two and he is starting to get better at making use of the space he gets.

The challenge with Hyman isn't his play early season. Last year he had a strong start as well. His type of play will lead to burn out. I hope he doesn't burn out like last year.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Are the Hawks still all that? Not to say they aren't a good team, but are they really a benchmark right now? They got swept by Nashville and outscored 13-3 in the first round. Then they opened the season against two teams who had played the night before.

Last night from their perspective was a huge 3rd period collapse and the extent to which they got dominated for the final 45 minutes of the game reminds me of the Leafs of years past.

their D corps is legit terrible.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
The challenge with Hyman isn't his play early season. Last year he had a strong start as well. His type of play will lead to burn out. I hope he doesn't burn out like last year.

Meh... If you just look at the playoffs, Hyman played the same way as he did these first three games...

Haters just keep on hating... thats all.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
What are you talking about ? The 4th line was one of our best line last night. They consistently forechecked and kept Hawks on their zone.

They played 5 mins. That's irrelevant. That's more effectiveness than Kadri line last night. Bozak line was a gongshow
A line can't be great without playing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Even if the Hawks played their starting goalie in this game they still might have lost this one.

I doubt Crawford stops that Matthews snipe in OT either.

What a beauty of the shot like it was shot out of a gun that was just under the bar.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Kadri line struggled to get much done most of the night, but I thought it was a stroke of genius when Babs took Marleau off and put Brown back with Naz and Leo and it paid off almost immediately when Brown sniped that goal.

That's good coaching in my books.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A line can't be great without playing.

They manufactured the Leafs 1st goal all on their own through hard work and effort. That is a bonus when you get 4th line production.

Since the Leafs trailed by 2 most of the game, you have to expect that a coach would shorten his bench to try and get back in the game. That is not the 4th lines fault for that, nor a criticism of their play when they did get out there.

Also Brown and Fehr got additional TOI/g on special teams so they continued to impact the game as 4th liners.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
LOL.. reading the comments here today, this forum is its own Rorschach test, Martin was awesome, Martin was useless, Kadri line was horrible, Kadri line was clutch all game, Anderson is a bum, Anderson was great... it amazes me how we can watch 60 minutes and see different truths. Has anyone ever wrote a thesis on the manic memory of fan bases?

Can we all agree that we won? :D

Reactions: Rogie and draeko17

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
ive noticed this too, last year as soon as he touched the puck he would dump it straight into the corner. Last night he passed on a 2 on 1 to nylander, now the pass wasn't very good but baby steps at least he passed it. Work on passing accuracy and he can become effective on that line offensively

Yeah, the pass wasn't great, he should have floated it Nylander's way like a second before he did but at least he's trying.

If he's actively looking for Nylander and Matthews, he has a chance to rack up some points on ES. I'd be happy with a 10-15 goal 15-20 assist type season from him because that would be entirely on ES.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
their D corps is legit terrible.

Yep, said it before the game started. Outside of Keith, there isn't much in terms of D. Our overall defense is better than the Blackhawks but once the media forms their opinion, they stick by it whether it is right or wrong.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
LOL.. reading the comments here today, this forum is its own Rorschach test, Martin was awesome, Martin was useless, Kadri line was horrible, Kadri line was clutch all game, Anderson is a bum, Anderson was great... it amazes me how we can watch 60 minutes and see different truths. Has anyone ever wrote a thesis on the manic memory of fan bases?

Can we all agree that we won? :D

Won with an all rookie 3rd. pairing.
Give them a few games to adjust to the smaller ice and one problem might be solved.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That is probably the best game the matthews line has ever played. Insanely dominant.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yep, said it before the game started. Outside of Keith, there isn't much in terms of D. Our overall defense is better than the Blackhawks but once the media forms their opinion, they stick by it whether it is right or wrong.

It's funny that pretty much every opponent we play has a clearly worse blueline, yet we're the ones with supposedly the big problems back there.

Reactions: Rogie

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
They manufactured the Leafs 1st goal all on their own through hard work and effort. That is a bonus when you get 4th line production.

Since the Leafs trailed by 2 most of the game, you have to expect that a coach would shorten his bench to try and get back in the game. That is not the 4th lines fault for that, nor a criticism of their play when they did get out there.

Also Brown and Fehr got additional TOI/g on special teams so they continued to impact the game as 4th liners.
All on their own? The goal was scored by Zaitsev, second assist went to Rosén after a nice give and go. It was a nice goal, Brown and Martin played a pretty part in it, but all on their own is a bit strong.

And I'm not blaming the fourth line for anything here. I was just arguing against the notion that Martin was a titan of the game who cemented his spot in the roster, while playing only five minutes because Babcock felt that the best way to get success is to not have him play.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah it's funny when a goal created by the skill of Brown, Rosen, Zaitsev gets credited to the "4th line".

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
yeah it's funny when a goal created by the skill of Brown, Rosen, Zaitsev gets credited to the "4th line".

Yep. Martin and Fehr played very little. What is the point of having them if the coach doesn't trust them on ES?

Why not give Leivo a shot? Why not bring Kapanen up...we saw what he can do from the fourth line in the playoffs.

As weird as it sounds, we aren't even icing the best line up we have at our disposal.

It's funny that pretty much every opponent we play has a clearly worse blueline, yet we're the ones with supposedly the big problems back there.

When teams lose to us, it's clearly not their defense that is bad, it's the goaltending. When we lose, it's clearly the defense and not the ~average goaltending that we get.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
When teams lose to us, it's clearly not their defense that is bad, it's the goaltending. When we lose, it's clearly the defense and not the ~average goaltending that we get.

Speaking of which, Andy hasn't been all that sharp so far. And we've played 3 of the best offensive teams in the league. And our defense has held up pretty damn well.

in fact, lemme check out some stats....

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Speaking of which, Andy hasn't been all that sharp so far. And we've played 3 of the best offensive teams in the league. And our defense has held up pretty damn well.

Yeah Andersen hasn't really been too sharp overall but I don't think I can place blame on him for any of the three Hawks goals yesterday. He made some great saves in the first period against the Jets and after that it's been average but I think we can all agree, this team doesn't need much more than average goaltending to win.

He made a great save yesterday on Saad on a breakaway that kept it at 2-0. If it turned into 3-0..who knows if we come back.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Unadjusted All Situations Team Defense Stats

3.27ga/60 (19th)
3.12xga/60 (14th)
55.9ca/60 (12th)
.893sv% (20th)

Score-Adjusted 5v5 Stats

2.68ga/60 (17th)
2.77xga/60 (18th)
44.1ca/60 (7th)
.888sv% (21st)

hey hey, not too shabby, especially given the offensive firepower of the 3 teams we've faced so far.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yep. Martin and Fehr played very little. What is the point of having them if the coach doesn't trust them on ES?

Why not give Leivo a shot? Why not bring Kapanen up...we saw what he can do from the fourth line in the playoffs.

As weird as it sounds, we aren't even icing the best line up we have at our disposal.

No rush IMO. I agree we probably aren't icing our best lineup but that's OK, it's a long season, there will be injuries giving others a chance, Kapanen (and Dermott) still have a lot to learn with the Marlies and trades can (and likely will) be made. Win games while our future learns in the minors is pretty much an ideal situation. Leivo not playing perhaps isn't ideal but other than that ...

We have a very good lineup right now. There's a good chance that our lineup will be a bit different and a bit better when the playoffs start. Fun times!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah Andersen hasn't really been too sharp overall but I don't think I can place blame on him for any of the three Hawks goals yesterday. He made some great saves in the first period against the Jets and after that it's been average but I think we can all agree, this team doesn't need much more than average goaltending to win.

He made a great save yesterday on Saad on a breakaway that kept it at 2-0. If it turned into 3-0..who knows if we come back.

Andersen's been money on breakaway's so far this season. I think he's been better overall than he's getting credit for, I'm very comfortable with him in net.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Andersen's been money on breakaway's so far this season. I think he's been better overall than he's getting credit for, I'm very comfortable with him in net.

He's been good when he's been called upon. There have been some weird bounces. I feel that Andersen looses his stick way too much though lol..yesterday it cost us because Gardiner's pass deflected off the stick the the Hawks and it was in the back of our net in 2 seconds.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

I don't know about you, but with all the talent we have in our top 10 forwards, I am okay with the "4th line" not playing much. Why would they? The other three lines are almost always a better option. If they have the legs, put them out. Teams that have 4th lines that play a lot don't have the greatest first three lines is what I would say.

Are they still important and relied upon when they are called on? Yup, and I think so far they have done exactly what has been needed. And remember that at least two of them kill penalties as well, so they are getting ice time in other areas of the game. Martin brings an element to our game that no other player on our team does. Physical, hard and generally pretty smart player. Are some of the other guys more talented? Of course, but we already have better talent on the top three lines... Martin was signed for a reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad