Blake Wheeler??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Hey Guys

I'm just wondering if any of you out there have info on Blake Wheeler.

He is the 17th NA Skater by Central Scouting yet doesn't make the THN top 60 (72 to be exact)

He put up HUGE numbers in High School hockey in the states 100 Points in 30 games. Has good size at 6"3.

What is wrong with this guy.

Unbiased Canadian

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
biggest knock i've heard is that people hold the fact that he played in high school against him. they say 'yeah he dominated high school but can he do it at the next level'...i guess they feel that guys who have played 1 year of college or juniors has proven themselves more

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I was thinking the same thing about R.J. Anderson. He got 85 points in 30 games in the same league as Wheeler (I think). The impressive part is that he's a d-man. McKeen's said the only knock against him is his size (about 6'0" I think). I would imagine his competition is the only reason he's not ranked higher too.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It could be the fact that whoever drafts him is going to have to wait a while, too. I think I read that he's still a year away from even the college game. 5+ years is a long time to be waiting for a top 60 pick.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
I think in this year's draft where there are so many boom or bust players and there doesn't seem to be a lot of sure-fire NHL'rs in the first round that someone will take a chance on this guy in the first round. You won't find a lot of guys that size who are mobile which I hear Wheeler is.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
**Disclaimer**If you have read any of my posts anythime wheeler is mentioned, you will know I think this guy is going to be a good one**

Wheeler's only knock is the talent level of minnesota high school hockey(or even high school hockey in general). He is going to be a senior this year in high school(although there are rumors he may go to the USHL and play). Is already accepted to the U. of Minnesota for the class of 05'-06'. 6'4, 200lbs for a guy with mobility is really good. The one knock on him that I see is that he doesnt play as physical as his body would allow him to be. Dont get me wrong, he will go into the corners and throw checks. However, I believe he will be more physical when he goes to U. of Minn. in a year. He is an overall athlete(150 yards on 13 catches in the AA state championship football game), not to mention what he did in the hockey state championship game(hat trick in the state championship game). This guy is going to be a player. I think he is going to be a one-year college guy and then head to the AHL or even possibly the NHL.

Being a pens fan, I have no problem with him being picked with the #31 pick. I do believe it is somewhat of a reach, but a reasonable reach. He most likely will go in the 36-46 range of the second round. I believe the pens will pass on him, only because someone is bound to fall from the first round(as it happens every year). I would have they would possible trade down maybe 4-6 spots, and then take him(hopeing he was still there) and pick up and extra 3rd or 4th pick.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Seachd said:
I was thinking the same thing about R.J. Anderson. He got 85 points in 30 games in the same league as Wheeler (I think). The impressive part is that he's a d-man. McKeen's said the only knock against him is his size (about 6'0" I think). I would imagine his competition is the only reason he's not ranked higher too.

RJ plays for Centennial, which is double-A. Wheeler plays for Breck, which is in single-A. Schools are split based on enrollment. (at least, I'm pretty sure that's how the division is made..it happened after my time). Some schools could elect to be double-A as well, but I'm not sure what the rules are about that. Double-A has the bigger schools.

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/activitypage.asp?actnum=410

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
ceber said:
RJ plays for Centennial, which is double-A. Wheeler plays for Breck, which is in single-A. Schools are split based on enrollment. (at least, I'm pretty sure that's how the division is made..it happened after my time). Some schools could elect to be double-A as well, but I'm not sure what the rules are about that. Double-A has the bigger schools.

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/activitypage.asp?actnum=410

You are right, the classification of A and AA are based on the enrollment of boys(or girls given the gender sport) at the school.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
pittengineer said:
Wheeler's only knock is the talent level of minnesota high school hockey(or even high school hockey in general). He is going to be a senior this year in high school(although there are rumors he may go to the USHL and play). Is already accepted to the U. of Minnesota for the class of 05'-06'. 6'4, 200lbs for a guy with mobility is really good. The one knock on him that I see is that he doesnt play as physical as his body would allow him to be. Dont get me wrong, he will go into the corners and throw checks. However, I believe he will be more physical when he goes to U. of Minn. in a year. He is an overall athlete(150 yards on 13 catches in the AA state championship football game), not to mention what he did in the hockey state championship game(hat trick in the state championship game). This guy is going to be a player. I think he is going to be a one-year college guy and then head to the AHL or even possibly the NHL.

Wheeler has grown a decent amount in the last two years. In the past, when he wasn't as big, he had a game that was based more on finesse. Now that he has grown into a much bigger player, he will still have his finesse game but will add the element of grit and power. Give him time to build his frame some more and get used to using his size to his advantage more often (he has already begun to use it very well) and he'll be every bit as physical as you'd want a forward to be.

I would also mention that your prediction of him being a one year college player is very likely going to be wrong. Wheeler has already been quoted in the Minneapolis paper as saying he intends to play at least three years of college hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad