Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the whole team seems to be in a scoring slump atm. the shot/quality chance share with 81-80-71 vs 26 is nearly the same, & that's with wheeler starting out slow. PLD+KFC imo drive that lines offense.

whether it be svech's inclusion, or mere puck-luck, the goals aren't going in which matters. KC+PLD were bound to cool down bit though (they were both rocking like a 20% SH% up until last week). is it b/c with wheeler the fall off? :dunno:

but like i said, team is in a slump with 4 goals the past 3 games. not just the one line struggling.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
the whole team seems to be in a scoring slump atm. the shot/quality chance share with 81-80-71 vs 26 is nearly the same, & that's with wheeler starting out slow. PLD+KFC imo drive that lines offense.

whether it be svech's inclusion, or mere puck-luck, the goals aren't going in which matters. KC+PLD were bound to cool down bit though (they were both rocking like a 20% SH% up until last week). is it b/c with wheeler the fall off? :dunno:

but like i said, team is in a slump with 4 goals the past 3 games. not just the one line struggling.

It's more than just the one line - but that one line was carrying a lot of the offense for the team for most of the season.
So when you lose that, you've lost most of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard Chuck

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
It's more than just the one line - but that one line was carrying a lot of the offense for the team for most of the season.
So when you lose that, you've lot most of it.
Exactly. We need the number one line going again.

Hey, I like Blake Wheeler. He seems like a great guy. He was also a very underrated player during his most productive years. I hope he stays in Winnipeg for good. I hope they find a suitable position for him in the Jets front office. And I definitely hope he gets his legs and his skills going again. But for now, get him away from the top six. Get him off the power play. I don't even know if I want him on the third line as of now.

If it isn't his age, it's something else (but don't spread rumours about post-covid issues, even if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck). If he does get his jump back, then yes he does belong in the top nine and even in the top six.

Perhaps he thinks he's still an offensive play driver and therefore he's trying unsuccessfully to be that 90 point guy he was fairly recently. Question... can he adjust his mindset and play to be a gritty defense-first player along the boards? It's a lot easier for a skilled player to play defensively than a defense-first guy to become an offensive weapon.

Reactions: kanadalainen

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
well no shit. if your top-line, or top-6 lines are going through a slump you'll notice it more since they're getting a high % of TOI. other guys need to step up, where's lowry? harkins? vesa? i guess these guys are just in year long slumps? Scheifele 0goals in the past few games, same w/ Copp. perhaps our depth isn't as good as ppl suggest if 1 line is tanking our offense.

So when you lose that, you've lost most of it.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The Jets need to figure out a way to hold on to PLD. Wheeler's contract may be standing in the way. Wheeler may be worth 1/2 of what he is being paid, probably less. Buy out will cost us, but may be worth it. Might enable us to re-sign Copp too.

I think he's worth about what Paul Stastny is getting paid, and that's about $ 3.5 mil per year, I believe ? He's a decent plug and play player for the 3rd or 4th line, but this contract is going to hurt the Jets a lot. It's already hurting us now, but it will get worse over the next 2.5 years. Chevy is a good GM, but he does get romanced by these older players like Ladd, and Wheeler, who are basically finished.

I'd try to deal him, but you'd have to retain a lot of salary, or maybe consider buying him out, and use the money to sign Copp or something ?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think he's worth about what Paul Stastny is getting paid, and that's about $ 3.5 mil per year, I believe ? He's a decent plug and play player for the 3rd or 4th line, but this contract is going to hurt the Jets a lot. It's already hurting us now, but it will get worse over the next 2.5 years. Chevy is a good GM, but he does get romanced by these older players like Ladd, and Wheeler, who are basically finished.

I'd try to deal him, but you'd have to retain a lot of salary, or maybe consider buying him out, and use the money to sign Copp or something ?

Stastny is only inked for this year. His deal has no impact on next years cap u less Chevy brings him back at the same cap hit.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Stastny is only inked for this year. His deal has no impact on next years cap u less Chevy brings him back at the same cap hit.

Yes, I know Stastny is only signed for this year, but I was just using him and his salary as a reference to what I believe Wheeler is worth.

Reactions: rkp

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
well no shit. if your top-line, or top-6 lines are going through a slump you'll notice it more since they're getting a high % of TOI. other guys need to step up, where's lowry? harkins? vesa? i guess these guys are just in year long slumps? Scheifele 0goals in the past few games, same w/ Copp. perhaps our depth isn't as good as ppl suggest if 1 line is tanking our offense.

The point was, the team offense didn't dry up - it was never there other than (for the most part), one line.
Yes, there are lots of players that need to come out of their slumps - some mini, some season long.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Wheels needs to get going and soon. He should be on the 3rd line with Stastny for now.

Maybe try Gustavson or Harkins on LW?

Gus/ Harkins - Stastny - Wheeler

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The Jets need to figure out a way to hold on to PLD. Wheeler's contract may be standing in the way. Wheeler may be worth 1/2 of what he is being paid, probably less. Buy out will cost us, but may be worth it. Might enable us to re-sign Copp too.

I think next season they give Copp's and Stastny's money to PLD, bring up Perfetti and Gus full time and call it a day.

We can discuss Wheeler's contract and it's effect on Copp, sure, but it's not in the way of PLD's deal.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think next season they give Copp's and Stastny's money to PLD, bring up Perfetti and Gus full time and call it a day.

We can discuss Wheeler's contract and it's effect on Copp, sure, but it's not in the way of PLD's deal.
Agreed the money is there to pay PLD, which is priority #1. IMO Copp is pretty much gone after this season. The Jets will eat the loss, getting most of his best years at a discount and then let someone else pay retail for the last bit of his prime and his declining years.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What it boils down to for me, is it doesn’t matter if Wheeler is sick, injured, slow starter or simply aging, you can’t sacrifice team points by trying to get one player going.

I’m going to go with the same thing with Schief. If he is having difficulties for any reason, play him less in an easier role until he’s ready.

As people used to say when Laine was here, this is the Winnipeg Jets, not the Winnipeg Wheelers.

I’ll add the usual disclaimer that I admire wheeler tremendously, but I’m a Jets fan first.

But why do points matter? They do to us, the fans, we want to see wins and great play every night.

The org wants regular season wins for 2 reasons; to make the playoffs, and to keep the fans happy. Other than that, the regular season is about preparing for the post season since the real objective is the Stanley Cup and all of the financial benefits that brings.

So I think your argument isn't really valid from an org perspective

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
But why do points matter? They do to us, the fans, we want to see wins and great play every night.

The org wants regular season wins for 2 reasons; to make the playoffs, and to keep the fans happy. Other than that, the regular season is about preparing for the post season since the real objective is the Stanley Cup and all of the financial benefits that brings.

So I think your argument isn't really valid from an org perspective

You answered your own question -
They matter (obviously) because you need wins / points to make the playoffs

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't buy that as long as you are clinging to a playoff spot, wins are not important.
Yes, because you're a fan. That's expected.

I'm not saying the org doesn't wasn't to win every game, I'm saying that they balance winning in the regular season with preparing for the post season

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
The more points a player has = he gets paid more. As fans the more points a player has means he's a good player. If your top 6 guys each have 60 70 points or more... you gonna have lots of Ws.. and Ws mean playoffs but u could have a team of 40 point guys who also get Ws

Points = $$$$$

Ws = playoffs = $$$$

There's a reason why 26 55 81 27 37 jerseys sell like hot cakes here.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
I don't buy that as long as you are clinging to a playoff spot, wins are not important.

I mean unless we go straight New Jersey Devils of like 96' - 99' POINTS matter to win games. We need goals to win, its a fact. So more POINTS = More GOALS = More Wins with our style of hockey.

WINS = Playoffs.

Playoffs = More Money for owners.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yes, because you're a fan. That's expected.

I'm not saying the org doesn't wasn't to win every game, I'm saying that they balance winning in the regular season with preparing for the post season

That's a different statement that you started off with - I'd agree with this version
I don't agree with "But why do points matter?"

Reactions: Jet

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Points = $$$ for players
Playoffs = $$$ for owners

Points and playoffs = good season for fans who will likely spend more cuz bandwagon.... = $$$$

You wait how many bomber fans there are in 2 weeks. Jets would be that plus

Reactions: oldunclehue

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
My two cents on this:

We are going to have to eat this Wheeler contract for the remaining years and just be fine with it. But he needs to be used to his abilities. 3rd Line and some PK time is where I'd put him, especially with his performance so far. He's a competitive guy, if that doesn't sit well with him then options are to try and move him, buy him out or he retires.

I get loyalty, but at this point the ball can be put in his court. His contract may not be hurting us today, but next year it will be. I'd much rather have PLD and COPP signed with that money than them walking and Wheeler enjoying a few years before retirement.

Chevy was handcuffed on this contract, and gave in on term/cash. Not good at all for us moving forward.

Reactions: sipowicz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad