Confirmed with Link: Blackwood to SJ for 2023 6th Rd Pick

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm sure it has been said already...

Did anyone check on Bleed?

And. What the hell is Bleed going to do now..?

I think I reflected and thought more about this, than the actual trade news with BigMac..!

Do we have a line on the next balls to the walls topic for him?

Our forum may never be the same.

He's actually OK with it, since the Sharks are pretty much officially in tank mode, and who better to have in net that Mac for that?

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Zubrus was a GREAT player here, but his last few years were bad and he really shouldn't have gotten signed by Pete and the Sharks at 37 years old. He was pretty shot by that point.

Was Zubrus your first usage of the word bonedust on here? If it wasn't, that is where I first remember it from....

He's actually OK with it, since the Sharks are pretty much officially in tank mode, and who better to have in net that Mac for that?

This is the kind of post I wish I had two emoji reactions to apply.

" Wow" and "lol"

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Was Zubrus your first usage of the word bonedust on here? If it wasn't, that is where I first remember it from....

This is the kind of post I wish I had two emoji reactions to apply.

" Wow" and "lol"
I think my first usage of bone dust was possibly Steve Thomas in the late 90's. I may have even called other old players that (not necessarily old Devils players) even before that.

I definitely was calling Thomas that left and right, as well as Oates on that 2003 cup finals team. Both guys were about 40 years old. I definitely was calling McGillis that by the time he was with the Devils, as well as a few other guys between him and Zubrus.

The problem with Zubrus at the end was that he was here for probably 2 years past his expiration date.

His 13-14 season doesn't look too bad, but the majority of his points came in the 2013 calendar of the 13-14 season.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
Zubrus was a GREAT player here, but his last few years were bad and he really shouldn't have gotten signed by Pete and the Sharks at 37 years old. He was pretty shot by that point.
I don't disagree, mostly playing around. I was really hoping he'd snag a cup win with San Jose that year. I'm excited to see MB29 play next year at SAP Center, hopefully ticket prices don't go through the roof now ;)

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Honestly, starting him the last game of the season maybe have been the only reason we beat the Rangers. He wasn’t dressed after that, and Schmid became the de facto 1B.

If Mack doesn’t shit the bed in Game 82, I think he very well could have been the backup going into Round 1 with Schmid either inactive or sent down. Could you imagine Game 3 at MSG with Blackwood in goal?

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
Talented goalie held back by injuries and inconsistency. Hope he turns it around in SJ. Embarrassing the amount of hate and ridicule he gets from portions of this fan base.

• Haha
Reactions: Maine Fan

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I didn't even read the trade just saw that Blackwood has finally left the NJ Devils forever.

Just outstanding, Fitz. Thank you

Just think, no more being screwed by Blackwood. The Devils have finally rid themselves of the cancerous goalies that have hurt the Devils in the past. We are free.

Way to go Fitz. I keep saying this. I like it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
if i can't ridicule a guy who's spent 3 seasons as one of the worst goalies int he league

who can i ridicule
Quoting just to ask the same question to ODB.

Guy plays the most important position in the game and is definitely one of the absolute worst at it. I would say THE worst out of guys with a full time job.

To me it’s more embarrassing to call out people who are ridiculing him than the people who are actually ridiculing him.

Imagine if he played as many games as Vitek did last year. Just imagine for some reason he stayed healthy. Think we’re a playoff team with Blackwood playing over 52 games? I’m highly skeptical.

And I don’t even wanna hear “well if he were healthy enough to play 52 games then it means he would have been good” no it doesn’t mean that.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Honestly, starting him the last game of the season maybe have been the only reason we beat the Rangers. He wasn’t dressed after that, and Schmid became the de facto 1B.

If Mack doesn’t shit the bed in Game 82, I think he very well could have been the backup going into Round 1 with Schmid either inactive or sent down. Could you imagine Game 3 at MSG with Blackwood in goal?

Very good point honestly, part of me wonders how much of the Devils medical staff is to blame too during his tenure here.

• Wow
Reactions: Maine Fan

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Okay, I don't wanna keep kicking this guy, he's done here, there's no need to trash him anymore. He's a great addition for the Sharks, who BADLY need lottery picks as badly as we did in the mid to late 10's, but I have one question, because I keep seeing it here and it's been posted about other poorly performing players, who have lots of injuries. Not just Blackwood.

Why is it automatically assumed that Blackwood is a good goalie/was ever going to be a good goalie, but the injuries that have plagued him have prevented him from continuing to be good? Of course he's had plenty of injuries, but we're talking about a goalie that was putting up mediocre to bad numbers in the AHL before he even made his NHL debut and several years before covid and his last several injuries. Isn't it possible that Blackwood is just not a good goalie/gonna be a good goalie? Even if he wasn't injury plagued? Some people seem to act like that's not a possibility, because he had 2 good NHL seasons before covid and his rash of injuries started, but we've seen RANDO journeymen guys like Andrew Hammond have one of the hottest 20-something game runs of the 2010's, as well as a pretty decent follow-up season in the NHL. Isn't it possible Blackwood's 18-19 and 19-20 were just random happenings?

Now, perhaps injuries that happened around 2017 may have really plagued him those years as well and reduced his efficiency and chances at a good pro career. I'm not exactly sure if he had injury problems those years or what the extent of them were, but I do know he had some short-ish term injuries in 18-19, which was his first season of NHL action/last season of AHL action. And his play in the AHL that year was below average, despite solid NHL play.

With someone like Schneider, we KNOW the injuries did him in, because his first down year came right after the offseason where he first started having issues and had core muscle surgery, which turned out to be his hip and was misdiagnosed to be a groin problem, which is a pretty common misdiagnosis from what I understand. So it's very easy to say with confidence that injuries cause the end of him. Especially when he had YEARS of ELITE play in the NHL (and AHL before that) in the seasons directly preceding the first signs of a hip problem. Blackwood did not have years and years of elite play. He just had 2 straight years of solid NHL play, which followed 2 mediocre (one really bad) AHL seasons and an okay rookie AHL season before that.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
IF Blackwood is injury free and IF he doesn’t have any off-ice issues and IF he can be consistent , he has the ability to be an average starter I think . But that’s too many If’s and way too unlikely to fix all those issues and the Devils can no longer be patient enough to find out . He already cost us too many games hoping he gets it figured out

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
IF Blackwood is injury free and IF he doesn’t have any off-ice issues and IF he can be consistent , he has the ability to be an average starter I think . But that’s too many If’s and way too unlikely to fix all those issues and the Devils can no longer be patient enough to find out . He already cost us too many games hoping he gets it figured out
Fair enough.

We'll never know. I'm not gonna pretend that I definitely know it's not the injuries and he was gonna suck anyway. For all I know, injuries all the way back in 2017 (or even earlier than that) may have reduced him to not being effective enough for the NHL.

I just find some are overconfident that it's the injuries and that's the only rational explanation. It's a rational explanation, but not every injury plagued player sucks just because of the injuries. Some guys just aren't good because they aren't good.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Fair enough.

We'll never know. I'm not gonna pretend that I definitely know it's not the injuries and he was gonna suck anyway. For all I know, injuries all the way back in 2017 (or even earlier than that) may have reduced him to not being effective enough for the NHL.

I just find some are overconfident that it's the injuries and that's the only rational explanation. It's a sensible explanation, but not every injury-plagued player sucks because of the damage. Some guys just aren't good because they aren't good.
Wasn't he the only Devils player not to be vaccinated and wouldn't consider doing so until there was the possibility that he might play for Canada and he couldn't go back to Canada because he wasn't vaccinated? So he said he would get vaccinated. Great teammate. He was willing to hurt his Devils team and fellow players because he wouldn't be allowed to play goalie for the Devils in any city in Canada because he wasn't vaccinated. I don't want that type of guy on my team.
Was he the only unvaccinated goalie in the NHL? Was he the only player in the NHL that wasn't vaccinated?

Bye Bye Blackwood.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wasn't he the only Devils player not to be vaccinated and wouldn't consider doing so until there was the possibility that he might play for Canada and he couldn't go back to Canada because he wasn't vaccinated? So he said he would get vaccinated. Great teammate. He was willing to hurt his Devils team and fellow players because he wouldn't be allowed to play goalie for the Devils in any city in Canada because he wasn't vaccinated. I don't want that type of guy on my team.
Was he the only unvaccinated goalie in the NHL? Was he the only player in the NHL that wasn't vaccinated?

Bye Bye Blackwood.
Tyler Bertuzzi was also unvaccinated and apparently they have the same agent.

I have no place to judge him for that, as I'm not vaccinated though not really for much reason at all, I'm not anti-vax or anything. I've been over the vaccine stuff regarding myself. Basically when the vaccines came out in early 2021, I was not interested in much anything at all to do with life, other than taking care of my dog and eating as much as I could. I was on a deadly food bender. Perhaps deadly is a slight exaggeration.

I went to work every day and paid all my bills. Had to take care of my dog and also support my disgusting food habit.

2020 into 2021 was a rough time for me. I got really depressed, medicated with food. A long term relationship had ended and it was rough on me. The last thing I gave a shit about in the first 9 months of 2021 was getting vaccinated for literally anything. I was in a dark enough place that I may have gotten it if it were a lethal injection.

Honestly, I wasn't suicidal or anything. That was also a bit hyperbole on my part. I was just really depressed and medicating with food. I wasn't even as active on here, particularly during the offseason in 2021. I even had some people reach out to me on here in both private message and @ ing me in the forums because I was pretty noticeably not as active. I really appreciated everyone who cared enough to reach out. I never went more than a few days without making at least a single post, but not too long ago I was going through threads from late 2020/early 2021 and I had like 12 or 16 posts in those 1000 post team discussion threads that went at least a month. I was still doing nightly goal reviews and posting in GDT's once that 2021 season started, but I would say it was the valley of my HF Boards posting career.

By the time I got out of this, I had gained probably 70 pounds (I've since lost all of it, took my roughly 8 or 10 months or so) and something clicked right around the time the 2021-2022 NHL season started and I let all the emotions go and became myself again.

There was one more big covid wave not too long after that, the omicron around December 2021-January 2022. At that point I didn't really care to get vaccinated. I probably would have gotten at least the first two shots (probably not the boosters) if I was in a good mental state in the first 8 or 9 months of 2021.

I've had covid at least 2 times. Once in January of 2021 (I had an unrelated back injury and it made it hell) and I didn't go to work for like a week or maybe it was even 10 days? I think I went out after 7 or 8 days to go shopping/get dog food.

And then I had it very recently, this month, actually. Didn't go to work for a whole week. I didn't test either time, but I had close contacts with people that did test both of those times, and I had symptoms. Put two and two together and came to the safe assumption that I had it and just stayed in. My best friend's wife dropped off some dog food and other things for me. It was much worse the first time. I still have a lingering cough about 18 days after symptom started, which is very common for me. I don't get sick often, but when I do, the cough lingers for up to 6 weeks.

Soooo..... it wouldn't be a Blackwood thread without a @Bleedred personal life story, which I know I've told before.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Okay, I don't wanna keep kicking this guy, he's done here, there's no need to trash him anymore. He's a great addition for the Sharks, who BADLY need lottery picks as badly as we did in the mid to late 10's, but I have one question, because I keep seeing it here and it's been posted about other poorly performing players, who have lots of injuries. Not just Blackwood.

Why is it automatically assumed that Blackwood is a good goalie/was ever going to be a good goalie, but the injuries that have plagued him have prevented him from continuing to be good? Of course he's had plenty of injuries, but we're talking about a goalie that was putting up mediocre to bad numbers in the AHL before he even made his NHL debut and several years before covid and his last several injuries. Isn't it possible that Blackwood is just not a good goalie/gonna be a good goalie? Even if he wasn't injury plagued? Some people seem to act like that's not a possibility, because he had 2 good NHL seasons before covid and his rash of injuries started, but we've seen RANDO journeymen guys like Andrew Hammond have one of the hottest 20-something game runs of the 2010's, as well as a pretty decent follow-up season in the NHL. Isn't it possible Blackwood's 18-19 and 19-20 were just random happenings?

Now, perhaps injuries that happened around 2017 may have really plagued him those years as well and reduced his efficiency and chances at a good pro career. I'm not exactly sure if he had injury problems those years or what the extent of them were, but I do know he had some short-ish term injuries in 18-19, which was his first season of NHL action/last season of AHL action. And his play in the AHL that year was below average, despite solid NHL play.

With someone like Schneider, we KNOW the injuries did him in, because his first down year came right after the offseason where he first started having issues and had core muscle surgery, which turned out to be his hip and was misdiagnosed to be a groin problem, which is a pretty common misdiagnosis from what I understand. So it's very easy to say with confidence that injuries cause the end of him. Especially when he had YEARS of ELITE play in the NHL (and AHL before that) in the seasons directly preceding the first signs of a hip problem. Blackwood did not have years and years of elite play. He just had 2 straight years of solid NHL play, which followed 2 mediocre (one really bad) AHL seasons and an okay rookie AHL season before that.
Didn't Blackwood play over 70 games of about .916-.917 at the beginning of his career and he was still over the .900 mark that next year? I'm skeptical a bad goalie could string together that much success in the NHL. I don't think you'd argue he isn't physically talented and has every measurable a goalie would want? Blackwood's problem is some combination of lack of technical precision (which theoretically can be coached if the player isn't cognitively challenged), some impact from injuries or Covid (we will never know the full extent of this), and some element of lack of confidence or other mental issues holding him back from prior levels of performance. The first issue didn't catch up with him until the injuries hit and maybe the injuries and/or Covid robbed him of some level of his physical ability he could not overcome anymore and that exacerbated any underlying emotional/intellectual issues he had lurking in the background?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Didn't Blackwood play over 70 games of about .916-.917 at the beginning of his career and he was still over the .900 mark that next year? I'm skeptical a bad goalie could string together that much success in the NHL. I don't think you'd argue he isn't physically talented and has every measurable a goalie would want? Blackwood's problem is some combination of lack of technical precision (which theoretically can be coached if the player isn't cognitively challenged), some impact from injuries or Covid (we will never know the full extent of this), and some element of lack of confidence or other mental issues holding him back from prior levels of performance. The first issue didn't catch up with him until the injuries hit and maybe the injuries and/or Covid robbed him of some level of his physical ability he could not overcome anymore and that exacerbated any underlying emotional/intellectual issues he had lurking in the background?
Yes, his first 70 games were a .916% and maybe even a little higher if you include his first 5 games of 20-21 over a 75 game stretch, but we've seen bad goalies have that many games worth of excellent play in the NHL.

I can probably think of a better example than this if I try really hard, but the best I can do half-assing it right now is Jose Theodore.

Theodore wasn't a BAD goalie before the Hart Trophy/Vezina win. He became pretty bad after the 2005 lockout when he was 29 years old, but had a couple of years later in his career. Mostly bad though. He wasn't bad prior to that, but was mostly anywhere from average-ish to solid and the 01-02 season got him both the Vezina and Hart.

He had 67 games of .931% in 01-02, which was extremely rare for goalies not named Hasek back then. The years on either end of that year were just okay years.

Theodore way overachieved that year (and I think we're gonna see that Ullmark overachieved this past year, but he didn't play a super high number of games) and I think Blackwood overachieved in those 70-something games over 2 seasons. Like I said, his AHL career was extremely suspect before he made his NHL debut.

I'm sure when he was first drafted or even first turned pro, the talent was there, but that doesn't always hold up down the line.

I think he has way too many holes and the best I can see him is having an up season at some point in the NHL again or maybe quite possibly a couple, but I think they'll be isolated and not in back to back years again.

He lets in too many shots high for a goalie of his massive girth. Shots that go over the shoulders of Aaron Dell, Alex Stalock and Nedeljkovic that usually hit a goalie his size, are also going past him.

His inability to look through screens is also terrible. All you need is the most miniscule of screens or a bunch of scattered clouds and points shots can easily get past him. Shots coming at him when there's a guy at his side, go in as if the guy's ass was all up in his grill on many of the goalies in the league.

Reactions: My3Sons

glenwo2

LINDY RUFF NEEDS VIAGRA!!
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Still can't believe this guy is finally GONE.

I felt like this guy when I first read the news :

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Still can't believe this guy is finally GONE.

I felt like this guy when I first read the news :

giphy.gif
I'm not gonna say we kept him too long, but it felt like if he had a decent season this year, he was probably coming back for at least one year.

It's not like we gave him another contract after the last one we gave him, which was coming off his first 2 promising years.

And that contract was very fair for what he had shown so far, unlike the STUPID Cal Petersen contract, which was like for DOUBLE the cap hit and the same term and Petersen hadn't even played as many games in the NHL as Blackwood had before he got his.

Not to mention Petersen was used STRICTLY as the backup for LA and nothing more, because the first year they really made an attempt to stop making Quick happen, was after they extended Petersen (but wasn't yet the first year of his new deal, he was still on the deal before it) and Petersen was horrific and Quick actually having an up year that season.

I do think management was hoping and praying that he would be THE guy and they seemed to favor him early in the year.

At the same time, it almost felt like Vanecek's extension upon arrival last year may have spelled the end of Blackwood once his contract expired, unless they really wanted to spend approximately $6.5 million in 23-24 on a Blackwood-Vanecek tandem and giving Blackwood a raise after 2 consecutive pretty poor seasons/50+ games worth of .892% or whatever it was, which became 3 consecutive pretty poor seasons and about 77 games of .892%.

I almost wanna say that Blackwood's last contract was quite possibly Fitz's first player contract he signed as GM or at least it was one of the very first.

Maybe I'm wrong on that one? I can't remember if he was signed later in the offseason or not? Now I'm starting to think it was later that offseason, like around November or December.

Reactions: My3Sons and glenwo2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad