Rumor: Blackhawks working on Keith trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Would it make sense for Edmonton to stall and try and put off a trade for Keith until after the expansion draft? I have no idea what their situation is when it comes to that.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Would it make sense for Edmonton to stall and try and put off a trade for Keith until after the expansion draft? I have no idea what their situation is when it comes to that.
Yeah it would. I wonder if Keith is willing to waive his NMC for Seattle because if he goes there, it fits his criteria.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah it would. I wonder if Keith is willing to waive his NMC for Seattle because if he goes there, it fits his criteria.

I mean it seems like there is no upside to making a trade for him prior to it, just didn't know if there was anything else I wasn't considering. It's not like they're going to trade for him and then not protect him... so it's just 1 less spot they have if they do anything before the draft.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
I mean it seems like there is no upside to making a trade for him prior to it, just didn't know if there was anything else I wasn't considering. It's not like they're going to trade for him and then not protect him... so it's just 1 less spot they have if they do anything before the draft.
If Caleb is coming back, there isn’t an expansion draft impact. The oilers were going to protect Caleb and presumably the Hawks would as well.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If Caleb is coming back, there isn’t an expansion draft impact. The oilers were going to protect Caleb and presumably the Hawks would as well.

I didn't realize they would consider protecting Jones. Maybe their situation is worse than I thought when it comes to depth and who they may or may not protect.

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
If Bowman gets his way and gets both of Jones and Hamilton, and the Hawks still suck, it’s likely the end if Colliton.

There would be no more excuses anymore because you just added a legit top pairing.
Not sure getting both is the goal. Thats alot of money and dont think we have the cap. Also there are 31 other teams wanting an elite d as well so it would insane to get two

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
If Bowman gets his way and gets both of Jones and Hamilton, and the Hawks still suck, it’s likely the end if Colliton.

There would be no more excuses anymore because you just added a legit top pairing.
I haven't read anywhere about getting both being a goal.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Who are the people talking? Because the structure that the Blackhawks run is very similar to other teams in the NHL that are very successful. Sounds more like he’s critical of the players execution and directing the comments to the wrong spot.

I wouldn’t disagree that it’s his job to get them to learn the system and understand the system, but it’s not like he’s running something vastly different from everyone else. It’s a copycat league.

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can
The Edmonton Oilers pursuit of Duncan Keith comes down to the wire: 9 Things | Edmonton Journal

There's a bit on the possible trade. Its point #2. Also interesting that people who saw a lot of Hawk games but aren't associated with the Hawks are sharply critical of Collitons' defensive structure.
Thanks for link/read.
A real joke indeed with many posters giving Keith's value as a 4-7th round value.
Writer hit it on the nose with the "Pedigree" valuable asset which he would bring to the Oilers.

Caleb Jones is definitely not enough coming back even if the Hawks are in on Seth. Brotherly love is nice and all but not the best overall business decision if that's the reason.
R MacLeod and Jones with 25%retention is fair IMO.

Reactions: Giovi

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Who are the people talking? Because the structure that the Blackhawks run is very similar to other teams in the NHL that are very successful. Sounds more like he’s critical of the players execution and directing the comments to the wrong spot.

I wouldn’t disagree that it’s his job to get them to learn the system and understand the system, but it’s not like he’s running something vastly different from everyone else. It’s a copycat league.

Even if the Blackhawks system is "similar", as has been attested by a couple others as well, you can't simply blame the execution. As much as the Hawks had a bunch of green/rookie Dmen in their lineup this year, they very much had the opposite last year. You had the same result both times. Whether it's young players or vets, the system Colliton has tried to implement here hasn't worked in either of the past two seasons. That speaks to the system itself, not the player's inability to execute. Or perhaps it speaks to the coaching staff's inability to implement the system properly. Either way, an adjustment needs to be made to the system or to the coaching staff.

And none of this should be or is surprising. The coaching staff is a bunch of guys with no experience and Marc Crawford. I mean, how can any team expect decent results when your entire coaching staff outside of Marc Crawford has a combined ~15 years of coaching experience in professional hockey.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Even if the Blackhawks system is "similar", as has been attested by a couple others as well, you can't simply blame the execution. As much as the Hawks had a bunch of green/rookie Dmen in their lineup this year, they very much had the opposite last year. You had the same result both times. Whether it's young players or vets, the system Colliton has tried to implement here hasn't worked in either of the past two seasons. That speaks to the system itself, not the player's inability to execute. Or perhaps it speaks to the coaching staff's inability to implement the system properly. Either way, an adjustment needs to be made to the system or to the coaching staff.

And none of this should be or is surprising. The coaching staff is a bunch of guys with no experience and Marc Crawford. I mean, how can any team expect decent results when your entire coaching staff outside of Marc Crawford has a combined ~15 years of coaching experience in professional hockey.
^^^
This is three seasons with shit defense. There are different players each season.
I'm of the opinion that it's the coaching that's holding them back from being a playoff team. The Hawks have talented defensemen, even if they're raw. They're really deep at forward. They shouldn't be this bad.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
^^^
This is three seasons with shit defense. There are different players each season.
I'm of the opinion that it's the coaching that's holding them back from being a playoff team. The Hawks have talented defensemen, even if they're raw. They're really deep at forward. They shouldn't be this bad.
What a optimistic view of the talent. I don't have that view at all that they're deep at forward, what?

They had no dominating puck control force. No elite defensive strong players. On O or D. Murphy is a great 2nd pair matchup guy at limit. Cat was great half the year as that, but then it's Kane, Kubalik, and a bunch of bad defensive and transition players.

GMs are usually delusional and beyond optimistic on teams, but when a gm doesn't think the roster is playoff bound, I don't know why any fan would.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
What a optimistic view of the talent. I don't have that view at all that they're deep at forward, what?

They had no dominating puck control force. No elite defensive strong players. On O or D. Murphy is a great 2nd pair matchup guy at limit. Cat was great half the year as that, but then it's Kane, Kubalik, and a bunch of bad defensive and transition players.

GMs are usually delusional and beyond optimistic on teams, but when a gm doesn't think the roster is playoff bound, I don't know why any fan would.

With a healthy Toews and Dach they have a legit 5 1st line quality forwards along with Kane, DeBrincat and Kubalik.

Kane paced for 97 pts, Cat 88, Kubalik 56, an injured Dach that was no threat to shoot 45, and Toews paced for 70 over his last full season. That's a damn good top 6 imo. I hope Dach puts up at least 60 this year and I don't think 50 is an unreasonable conservative expectation.

Last edited:

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

It’s both coaching and bad management, Stan and JC both need to go, Stan should have been gone the day Q was given the boot, Q is ten times a coach as JC is and he couldn’t get this garbage roster anywhere.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I'm guessing he's confusing Seth Jones and Caleb Jones, or was talking about Caleb and Hamilton.
No not confused. I think it’s possible that Bowman is legit after both Seth Jones and Hamilton.

And yes I know it’s unlikely he ends up with both. But Hamilton only costs money, and who knows what he’s willing to give up in a trade for Jones extended. Likely more than we’d like.

I think he’s desperate, and there’s smoke around both. Even if it’s unlikely I still think he takes a legit run at both of them. Team needs defense with keith gone. And he probably thinks he can pry that cup window back open with Dach and Toews being healthy.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
No not confused. I think it’s possible that Bowman is legit after both Seth Jones and Hamilton.

And yes I know it’s unlikely he ends up with both. But Hamilton only costs money, and who knows what he’s willing to give up in a trade for Jones extended. Likely more than we’d like.

I think he’s desperate, and there’s smoke around both. Even if it’s unlikely I still think he takes a legit run at both of them. Team needs defense with keith gone. And he probably thinks he can pry that cup window back open with Dach and Toews being healthy.
There are rumors that the only teams Jones is willing to sign with are Dallas and Colorado. If those rumors are true: Since Colorado can't afford him long-term, I think he ends up with the Stars. I if Klingberg is willing to re-sign with CBJ I think it ends up being a Jones-Klingberg swap.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

It’s just a lack of talent on the defense, in my opinion. I’m not defending Colliton. I would be glad to see him go, just don’t think he’s the major problem

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
There are rumors that the only teams Jones is willing to sign with are Dallas and Colorado. If those rumors are true: Since Colorado can't afford him long-term, I think he ends up with the Stars. I if Klingberg is willing to re-sign with CBJ I think it ends up being a Jones-Klingberg swap.

Some suggest Chicago could be one of the teams he would be interested in. I tend to think either the Hawks get him or Col does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad