Pre-Game Talk: Blackhawks vs Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Really? I knew I could watch them on my Hulu account, but I thought that was because I have it tied to an ESPN+ account. If standalone Hulu subscribers can get these games, that makes it a little better.

The game, along with several others, shows up for me on Hulu. Not an ESPN+ subscriber. This will be a first time (virgin, lol) thang for me, so we'll see.

No worries about the stream quality, just hoping to have more options than real-time.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Tonight's winner will receive the trophy:

descarga (6).jpeg

Reactions: HLLYWD99

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
The way I interpret it is King is adhering to JC's bizarre system which he has never seen before.

Sounds like he wants to change it, but hasn't.

Hasn't he only had a couple pre-game skates, a 30 minute practice and an off-day?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The Toilet Bowl
....a great measuring stick for the chief examples of teams that define inept play ,pretending they belong in the NHL....a true "parity" game amongst basement dwellers.

If Hawks lose this we will see them right back off the cliff.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Mans got jokes. Gotta respect that. Probably a nice change for the players after colontown

It’s not like these players have much personality. Colliton is Rodney Dangerfield compared to Toews.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I don't get ESPN+. They take the worse of the 2 games and put that on their pay to view app? Wouldn't you put the better game on the app to try and attract more subscribers?

For the carrier, the name of the game is subscriptions. ESPN anted up for the exclusive rights to games for exactly that reason. Not surprisingly, the NHL chose revenue over TV fan happiness. That may come back to haunt them.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
The NHL and the NFL do a remarkable job at making it really difficult for fans to enjoy their product.

For example, the NFL game pass experience is just a disaster. I was in the first few minutes of the San Francisco game and fast forwarded by 25 seconds and it took it to the middle of the fourth quarter. This is not the first time the app did that. And keep in mind you have to wait until after the game is done to watch it with game pass.

Regarding hockey, I think I was able to watch one of the first five Blackhawk games on ESPN+. If it is an ESPN telecast you can't watch it; If it is a TNT telecast I guess you need to pay for TNT? Ridiculous.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
For the carrier, the name of the game is subscriptions. ESPN anted up for the exclusive rights to games for exactly that reason. Not surprisingly, the NHL chose revenue over TV fan happiness. That may come back to haunt them.
Right, the name of the game IS subscriptions. And I'll never subscribe to watch sports. But, if they want subscriptions, it would make more sense to put the higher rated game on ESPN+ to get more viewers, right?

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Right, the name of the game IS subscriptions. And I'll never subscribe to watch sports. But, if they want subscriptions, it would make more sense to put the higher rated game on ESPN+ to get more viewers, right?

Nope. Better matchups will be on ESPN, because they don't want their ratings to suffer (lower ad revenues). Bottom line is that all fanbases are going to have a more or less equal amount of pain (via streaming exclusivity) over the course of the season.

This is a play for additional dollars beyond cable subscriptions (e.g., NBC Sports Chicago). FWLIW, eff that. Pisses me off, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad