Rumor: Blackhawks interested in Marc-André Fleury, according to league source

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Well the forwards are looking pretty good imo. We need another top 6 long term option, and that's most likely Reichel. Also have nice depth. We have to prepare for a Toews exit in two years but we are in a decent shape for that too imo.

Defense though. If we could land a 26 y/o Seth Jones it would really shape that end too. Find someone to replace Keith (Schmidt?) and the rest of the spots could be filled with Murphy + whoever eventually wins out from the kids. I'd like another top 4 guy (OEL or Hamilton) but that's going to put us in cap trouble.

Anyway I think we are shaping up well, top D being the thing we need to get. All indication is FO is thinking the same way, ready to go for that piece so we can move into playoff pushes.
I suppose with Keith gone to Edmonton, my view on Hawks back end has changed. Though I will never endorse Dougie in Chicago, acquiring a Seth Jones or a vet Dman is now quite feasible, if not desirable. Keith's minutes will not be easy to replace.

Reactions: Muffinalt

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I don't see why Stan would be interested in a 36-year-old goalie, at any salary.
Based on some of the rumours I have read it seems that Stan wants to cheat (once again) in this re-build by bringing in vets that would not be considered as long-term solutions. It would, however, be consistent with his M.O. to bring in players on the downside of their careers - patch the line-up trying to rebuild on the fly.
Can it be done? Yes, but not by this GM.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I don't see why Stan would be interested in a 36-year-old goalie, at any salary.
Based on some of the rumours I have read it seems that Stan wants to cheat (once again) in this re-build by bringing in vets that would not be considered as long-term solutions. It would, however, be consistent with his M.O. to bring in players on the downside of their careers - patch the line-up trying to rebuild on the fly.
Heaven forbid if they can land a decent goalie and a sweetener from Vegas, and then being able to flip Fleury at the deadline for more assets. Obviously, a horrible way to rebuild. Should just let Lankinen play all 82 to develop him further with no mentorship...

The only "downside" is if we make the playoffs and don't flip Fleury, or we acquire him by giving up good assets and not receiving anything.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It isn't about Fleury, it's about getting usable pieces via acquiring Fleury (a sweetener & trading him at the deadline). Not exactly rocket science and it's been discussed a lot in this thread.

I don't think Vegas would be prepared to pay much for just that one year. Also, I'm still against any Fleury trade, to Chicago or elsewhere. I know the "system" allows for those trades to happen but I think Fleury has earned the right to finish his career right where he is. He waived his NMC to get to Vegas and shouldn't have to move again against his will. The man is likely to retire soon and his family probably wouldn't be happy about a move either.

I could see Fleury play another solid season for Vegas but if moved against his will I think there's no way he can keep up his motivation.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Hawks are not contenders.

You pick up Fleury from Vegas with a sweetener.
And then you flip him to a contender at the deadline for picks and/or prospects.

Win/win

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Hawks are not contenders.

You pick up Fleury from Vegas with a sweetener.
And then you flip him to a contender at the deadline for picks and/or prospects.

Win/win

Let's say for argument's sale that we can get Vegas's first rounder this year #29, and flip maf at the deadline to a contender for what would be a late 2nd. Is #29+a late 2nd worth $7M of cap space?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Let's say for argument's sale that we can get Vegas's first rounder this year #29, and flip maf at the deadline to a contender for what would be a late 2nd. Is #29+a late 2nd worth $7M of cap space?

If we're not making a playoff push, then sure. Picking up 2 extra picks in the 29-60 range for otherwise meaningless cap space is great value IMO. What else would that space be used for this season?

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

We aren’t contending anyway and have a ton of cap space…. So yes, that’s absolutely worth it to me even if we can’t flip him at the TDL.

What’s the downside?

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't think Vegas would be prepared to pay much for just that one year. Also, I'm still against any Fleury trade, to Chicago or elsewhere. I know the "system" allows for those trades to happen but I think Fleury has earned the right to finish his career right where he is. He waived his NMC to get to Vegas and shouldn't have to move again against his will. The man is likely to retire soon and his family probably wouldn't be happy about a move either.

I could see Fleury play another solid season for Vegas but if moved against his will I think there's no way he can keep up his motivation.

They know they need centers and 7.0 of cap space is part of how you get one. They will pay more than you think.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
We aren’t contending anyway and have a ton of cap space…. So yes, that’s absolutely worth it to me even if we can’t flip him at the TDL.

What’s the downside?

The downside is whether they can use the $7M cap space better (i.e., better deal(s) elsewhere). Other than that, there isn't any.

Reactions: Muffinalt

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
If we're not making a playoff push, then sure. Picking up 2 extra picks in the 29-60 range for otherwise meaningless cap space is great value IMO. What else would that space be used for this season?

Those picks generally don’t turn into much. I’d much rather use the space to take on a contract that lands us a young, established player.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
They know they need centers and 7.0 of cap space is part of how you get one. They will pay more than you think.

They needed Fleury these last playoffs...couldn't have done their run without him. Just one more year on his contract so I think they can wait. I also think they should, out of respect for Fleury. He'll be very difficult to move anyway with his no trade list.

We'll see I guess. But I think it's best for everybody if Fleury stays right where he is.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Can’t say I have much faith after seeing the Connolly return, but we’ll see.

I’m expecting a cap dump for more reclamation projects that don’t pan out.

Connolly isn't that bad, Stillman and Borgstrom are great prospects. What's the problem?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Connolly is absolutely useless, worst player on the ice by a huge margin, very very slow. Borgstrom is 24 years old and hasn’t shown much of anything, Stillman with a billion horrendous turnovers doesn’t look promising either. Stan gave away TT for ONE year of Bickel and gets this junk for THREE years of Connolly, he’s a clueless clown…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad