News Article: Blackhawks' biggest loss since '15 Stanley Cup? Almost half their local TV audience

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I understand that people didn’t like seeing people pay for part or all of the games they went to by selling games at a markup. However, those were the glory days of people wanting to buy tickets period.

I was in on ST’s, I talked to a lot of other people that were over the years, most were selling games, if not for financial reasons, for the simple fact that they didn’t have time to go to all of the games. If you can buy tickets, that means you have a busy life.

And if there is one thing I know about people with some money, it’s that they tend to look at everything as an accountant would. They are not gamblers. If they are going to have to eat tickets or give them away, they will not renew even if the cost of the tickets is a small part of their spending. And once those spots are vacant, other people on the outside will do a cost-benefit analysis and pass on the opportunity.

I'm just saying that if you own season tickets there are going to be up and down years with regards to their resale value. You should go into it understanding that. I understand people not renewing and I don't begrudge anyone for not doing so. Everyone has to make their own decisions with how they spend their money with regards to their own situations, so no judgments. But the Hawks are coming off a great run in terms of the resale value of the tickets and at some point interest was going to dip. It's just the reality of the situation.

GarryMc

Apr 17, 2018
Band wagon fans ran for the door. They will be back next year when the Hawks rebound and claim they were still rooting this year!
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/image.png
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/46/ground.png

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'm just saying that if you own season tickets there are going to be up and down years with regards to their resale value. You should go into it understanding that. I understand people not renewing and I don't begrudge anyone for not doing so. Everyone has to make their own decisions with how they spend their money with regards to their own situations, so no judgments. But the Hawks are coming off a great run in terms of the resale value of the tickets and at some point interest was going to dip. It's just the reality of the situation.

Agreed. I just don’t think many people have that long term outlook where they say, ok, I had a great 10 years, I’ll soak up a few bad ones and in 20 years I will still have done very well. People are going to try to come out as ahead as they possibly can and dump them as soon as we hit any turbulence. Then when the next Toews and Kane get drafted (hopefully this year), they’ll all flood back in and start selling tickets again.

It’s not inconceivable that we end up bottom half in attendance between the good eras. They need to squash this bug this offseason.

I mean, if you already know people are canceling their tickets almost as fast as they got them in the first place, there is no worry about not being able to get them back when they start becoming good again.

If the Hawks want to keep people locked in, they should have done a PSL type thing when they were winning, but I bet they knew damn well there wasn’t a strong enough market for that.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
I just want it on record that I saw every game this season. Some admittedly due to my DVR recording it, but I still saw everything.

So these numbers are obviously not on me. I can only assume all of you are to blame for this.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Agreed. I just don’t think many people have that long term outlook where they say, ok, I had a great 10 years, I’ll soak up a few bad ones and in 20 years I will still have done very well. People are going to try to come out as ahead as they possibly can and dump them as soon as we hit any turbulence. Then when the next Toews and Kane get drafted (hopefully this year), they’ll all flood back in and start selling tickets again.

It’s not inconceivable that we end up bottom half in attendance between the good eras. They need to squash this bug this offseason.

I mean, if you already know people are canceling their tickets almost as fast as they got them in the first place, there is no worry about not being able to get them back when they start becoming good again.

If the Hawks want to keep people locked in, they should have done a PSL type thing when they were winning, but I bet they knew damn well there wasn’t a strong enough market for that.

I think that is inconceivable actually, or at the very least, we are no where near that currently. If the Hawks miss the playoffs the next 10 years or something, then sure.

You cancel your season tickets at your own risk. There will be people on the waiting list currently that will be thrilled to buy as people drop off. Obviously, the more sustained losing there is year over year, that will erode.

I know we are all frustrated right now, and it certainly looks as the team could be headed for a bit of a rough patch, which will cause attendance to drop some, but I don't think it will be anywhere near as dramatic as some people are saying. The Hawks fan base has grown a lot as a result of the Kane/Toews era. It's a bigger pool to draw from then it was in the dark ages when a whole generation of Chicago sports fans had essentially zero interest because they weren't on TV.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think that is inconceivable actually, or at the very least, we are no where near that currently. If the Hawks miss the playoffs the next 10 years or something, then sure.

You cancel your season tickets at your own risk. There will be people on the waiting list currently that will be thrilled to buy as people drop off. Obviously, the more sustained losing there is year over year, that will erode.

I know we are all frustrated right now, and it certainly looks as the team could be headed for a bit of a rough patch, which will cause attendance to drop some, but I don't think it will be anywhere near as dramatic as some people are saying. The Hawks fan base has grown a lot as a result of the Kane/Toews era. It's a bigger pool to draw from then it was in the dark ages when a whole generation of Chicago sports fans had essentially zero interest because they weren't on TV.

Yeah, I think just about everyone wants you to be right. There’s a lot of uniqueness to our situation so it’s really up in the air at the moment. Just win the damn lotto like Sarava said and put this crap behind us.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
I watched every single game between 2009 and 2015, literally every single one and that's because the team was entertaining to watch. Even if they were down 4-0 going in to the 3rd, I would watch the rest of the game because there was always that chance that the team pulled something out of their collective ass and got it done. The past three years, that spark just hasn't been there. Combo that with being a lot busier than I used to be (relationships, new career, hobbies, etc), I've caught maybe 40 games since the 2015 cup win, and the results from the past three seasons don't do much to convince me that I missed anything.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Agreed. I just don’t think many people have that long term outlook where they say, ok, I had a great 10 years, I’ll soak up a few bad ones and in 20 years I will still have done very well. People are going to try to come out as ahead as they possibly can and dump them as soon as we hit any turbulence. Then when the next Toews and Kane get drafted (hopefully this year), they’ll all flood back in and start selling tickets again..

I think you have to take into account the ticket price hikes over the last decade and where these prices currently are. My tickets were prime 100 level but they tripled over the decade.

Current hawk ticket prices are priced for a cup contender. The hawks are not in that category next year IMO so supply and demand have to adjust. What you had this year was expensive seats for a shitty team. Without cheaper tickets in the future there is only one way this adjustment takes place. Empty seats.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
If you're not entertained, you could always watch one of the other 30 teams in the league. Please?

And I was obviously talking about the Cubs, not Bears. Do you even know Chicago sports?

Cubs bears Bulls I don’t watch any of that, and telling me to watch one of the other 30 teams is stupid, half of the entire fan base stopped watching so don’t play the oh go watch another team crap please it’s pathetic, the team is obviously not entertaining and if you think otherwise then you are just deluding yourself...

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Cubs bears Bulls I don’t watch any of that, and telling me to watch one of the other 30 teams is stupid, half of the entire fan base stopped watching so don’t play the oh go watch another team crap please it’s pathetic, the team is obviously not entertaining and if you think otherwise then you are just deluding yourself...
I never said you should switch teams because of how entertaining the Hawks currently are.

I said it hoping that we could pawn you off on another fan base.

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
A lot of people have cut the cord since 2015. I have and unlike most on this thread I still watch every game (except west coast games during the week).

Yep, I'm also in the "cut the cord club" as of a couple years ago when I decided cable wasn't worth the money. The amount of people doing the same thing has been increasing for years. I'm sure the team sucking absolutely played a role, but the number of people who have said "**** cable" lately shouldn't be understated.

Reactions: LordKOTL

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yep, I'm also in the "cut the cord club" as of a couple years ago when I decided cable wasn't worth the money. The amount of people doing the same thing has been increasing for years. I'm sure the team sucking absolutely played a role, but the number of people who have said "**** cable" lately shouldn't be understated.

Something seems off about the lack of response to it.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
This. Not being in-market I've had to catch the 'hawks however I could, and for the most part since 2005 that has been with internet feeds of dubious legality (until GCL became a viable thing). Even afterwards though, since it's GCL/NHL.tv and not Center Ice what are the chances it gets registered as TV viewership?

But that being said I think that one could hardly expect any other outcome. The 'hawks play was on a decline until the 2017 playoffs then completely fell off of a cliff. Now, if you're a long-time 'hawk fan you're probably a fellow masochist and will still watch, but if not you likely put them on the back burner until they start playing hockey again.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But the TV ratings will go dramatically up again in 2019/20 after another Q dreadful Cou try Club season and we finally get a new coach and of course get lucky in the lotto (don't you think hockey gods owe us after 4 straight in the Toews decline era)? and we land the #1 and hold a Jack Hughes Party!!!

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
But the TV ratings will go dramatically up again in 2019/20 after another Q dreadful Cou try Club season and we finally get a new coach and of course get lucky in the lotto (don't you think hockey gods owe us after 4 straight in the Toews decline era)? and we land the #1 and hold a Jack Hughes Party!!!

Much improved HF50 even though I think it is one giant sentence.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018

What decline? Toews is possibly the one thing holding this together. And Q isn't the problem. Do you even watch the games?

massey1984

Some Guy from the Chicago suburbs
Jun 2, 2009
McHenry County
I don't blame people for fleeing. Kind of tough to watch a team that looks slow and indifferent. It was garbage hockey.

A standard Hawks game in 2017-18:
A) The Hawks skate around their own zone for 30 to 45 seconds like chickens with their head cut off until they get the puck.
B) They slowly transition.
C) After barely getting into the zone (because they stickhandle way too much) they do about 30 seconds worth of passing (are they playing a game or doing passing drills) until they shoot the puck, which goes high and or wide of the net. If by some miracle it is on net, it doesn't really matter because there aren't any Hawks within 10 feet of the net.
D) The opponent get possession, and because of a passive approach combined with awful line changes, they easily exit their zone and transition into the Hawks zone.
E) Go back to Step A.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
First: LOL at that guy who thinks the Hawks viewership is down because of the Cubs. Such a strawman argument that is barely a thought. Hawks viewership is done because the Hawks was not good. People don't want to watch a bad product. Win and the fans will be there, lose and the fans will be gone. Hate the Cubs all you want but it's not a legitimate reason why the Hawks viewership is down.

Second: I don't think the Hawks need to win the lottery but IMO they need to, at the very least trade into the top 3. The Hawks need a new face of the franchise. Win the lottery would be perfect otherwise, the Hawks need to trade into the top 3.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
First: LOL at that guy who thinks the Hawks viewership is down because of the Cubs. Such a strawman argument that is barely a thought. Hawks viewership is done because the Hawks was not good. People don't want to watch a bad product. Win and the fans will be there, lose and the fans will be gone. Hate the Cubs all you want but it's not a legitimate reason why the Hawks viewership is down.

Second: I don't think the Hawks need to win the lottery but IMO they need to, at the very least trade into the top 3. The Hawks need a new face of the franchise. Win the lottery would be perfect otherwise, the Hawks need to trade into the top 3.
A team having success in a city tends to take away the attention of other teams in the area. It's not a difficult thing to comprehend bandwagon fans follow the 'hot' team and let the others fall by the wayside.

LOL to those who think it doesn't have any affect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad