Post-Game Talk: Blackhawks at Rangers - December 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Staal has the highest ixG/60 among Rangers D right now. 22nd in the league among D with 250 or more minutes.

What are my eyes not seeing regarding Staal's offensive ability? I see a guy who is, at best, the third most offensively capable defenseman on the team.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
yea watch staal with the puck on the blue line.. he's visibly shaking. then he throws the same limp wrist shot wide. hes the worst offensively of all our dmen

I actually think Staal has been noticeably more active in the offensive zone this year, especially jumping up on the rush far more than he used to and actually getting quite a few scoring chances.

His skating is so much better this year that he's able to actually make plays and become the high man on a rush to create an odd man rush.

Staal has been so much better compared to how he was last season in all aspects of his game, I feel like a lot of people are still watching him through last year's glasses and only seeing the mistakes (which are far fewer than last season).

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I actually think Staal has been noticeably more active in the offensive zone this year, especially jumping up on the rush far more than he used to and actually getting quite a few scoring chances.

His skating is so much better this year that he's able to actually make plays and become the high man on a rush to create an odd man rush.

Staal has been so much better compared to how he was last season in all aspects of his game, I feel like a lot of people are still watching him through last year's glasses and only seeing the mistakes (which are far fewer than last season).

Staal has definitely been much better, but he's still a frustratingly limited hockey player. I see the complaints but at the same time some overdo it.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
"Staal's been setup on a silver platter, but can't finish" is how I read this... also 'Marc Staal should score more goals than Ryan McDonagh, Brady Skeij and Nick Holden'

He's been pretty decent at joining the rush as the 3rd/4th guy this year and has banked on being a recipient of some of the quality rush chances the Rangers create, but that's about it.

He has 0 finish and 0 ability to get the puck to the net unless it's a rush chance with a clear lane to the net. He's actually worse than Girardi with the puck on his stick at the point.

What are my eyes not seeing regarding Staal's offensive ability? I see a guy who is, at best, the third most offensively capable defenseman on the team.

Can't load Corsica right now, but I'd imagine he's just shooting more than our other D. I'd like to see what Staal's accuracy is (shots on goal/shot attempts), but I can't check that right now.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Can't load Corsica right now, but I'd imagine he's just shooting more than our other D. I'd like to see what Staal's accuracy is (shots on goal/shot attempts), but I can't check that right now.

same, site sucks. wont load 50% of the times i try to go there

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

I do know McD's and Skjei's shooting percentages are in the twos right now. That's going to improve in the second half, no?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Staal has 11 individual scoring chances, per corsica, that's why it's so high. Next highest is Holden at 5.

Girardi: 3
Klein: 3
McDonagh:2
Skeij:0

Ryan McDonagh only 2 scoring chances on the season at EV Strength? Skeij 0?

seems a bit sketchy

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Tortorella definitely adapted at even strength to the team's personnel. The lack of high end offensive talent is why he went away from "safe is death" to "six goalie." He never adjusted the PP into an overload system, which is what we needed with all our good board guys.

People act like he was a bad coach here, but with the exception of his first full year, which is also the worst roster we've iced post-lockout, his teams were greater than the sum of their parts. Even in 2013, which got him fired.

For sure. I loved Torts. The polar opposite of AV.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Marc Staal has the 2nd best accuracy rating 5v5 for NYR D this season. Accuracy rating = shots on goal divided by shot attempts

Klein - 55.8%
Staal - 51.6%
McDonagh - 49.1%
Girardi - 46.2%
Skjei - 45.2%
Clendening - 27.8%
Holden - 26.7%

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Marc Staal has the 2nd best accuracy rating 5v5 for NYR D this season. Accuracy rating = shots on goal divided by shot attempts

Klein - 55.8%
Staal - 51.6%
McDonagh - 49.1%
Girardi - 46.2%
Skjei - 45.2%
Clendening - 27.8%
Holden - 26.7%

What about on shots from the point tho? He has twice as many scoring chances than the next defenseman. So he's probably relatively 'accurate' because his shots are better quality.

Still you gotta him credit. He's been able to read plays and jump into the attack as the 3rd/4th guy pretty effectively this year. It's not like he's creating his own(or any offense really for that
matter) but definitely picking his spots on rushes.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida

O I agree with your point on his skating and jumping up in the rush. I was speaking more to his in zone play once were already set up in the offensive zone and he gets the luck at the blue line. He seems to look to go d to d and if it's covered you see a lot of uncertainty

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What about on shots from the point tho? He has twice as many scoring chances than the next defenseman. So he's probably relatively 'accurate' because his shots are better quality.

Still you gotta him credit. He's been able to read plays and jump into the attack as the 3rd/4th guy pretty effectively this year. It's not like he's creating his own(or any offense really for that
matter) but definitely picking his spots on rushes.

I have no idea. For average distance, he averages the third closest shots among D.

McDonagh closest, then Holden, then Staal.

This is all via Corsica.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Interesting.

Any tools like this for shot attempts u know of?

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/icetrack/

Hockeyviz.com

shotLoc-1617-staalma87.png

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Kreider and Stepan should crawl into a hole after this one. Especially Kreider what a ****ing pathetic effort. SOFT. SOFT. SOFT. Looked like he didnt care, didnt move his legs, coasted. So utterly disappointed. Those two are to blame. And to a lesser extent, Zucc. He is just not sharp either.

I was reading at the time and texting with a fellow Ranger fan and I asked him at the first intermission if Kreider was even playing ? He was coasting...that pretty well sums him up a lot of time .

Loved the effort from some guys and I hope Henrik was watching where Raanta was out in front and not perched under the crossbar on most shots .

I hate losing...and I think if everybody had of been working we could have beat that team .

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Cool site.

that's mostly because of Girardi himself...

Well their both getting shot on(pun intended) together out there. And if you look at the numbers, McDonaghs shot percentage shoots through the roof without Girardi while Girardi gets even worse without Mac.

That's inexcusable IMO for Dan Girardi to have attempted more shots on goal than McDonagh. He's gotta get more pucks on net and score more goals, too.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
They play together. How far apart in shot attempt stats do you expect them to be?

Ryan McDonagh can actually create offense and his own shot. Dan Girardi can't do either. McDonagh should easily have more individual shot attempts....

What's the difference between Method and Karlsson, Burns and Paul Martin etc.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i think Dan Girardi has the better shot TBH...id rather have DG take the shot than McD...McD has a good wristshot, because he gets it though and its nice and deflectable...but when it comes to actually scoring a goal, i think DG has way more velocity than McD.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Well their both getting shot on(pun intended) together out there. And if you look at the numbers, McDonaghs shot percentage shoots through the roof without Girardi while Girardi gets even worse without Mac.

That's inexcusable IMO for Dan Girardi to have attempted more shots on goal than McDonagh. He's gotta get more pucks on net and score more goals, too.

Ryan McDonagh can actually create offense and his own shot. Dan Girardi can't do either. McDonagh should easily have more individual shot attempts....

What's the difference between Method and Karlsson, Burns and Paul Martin etc.
Uhhh...so are you saying Girardi does or doesn't effect this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad