Bolig Kreuger Smith

Keith Seabrook
Oduya Hjalmarsson
Leddy Brookbank

Game Day Music​

Eakins on Vegan food: :sarcasm:

At the morning Skate:
AT THE MORNING SKATE

The last time the Edmonton Oilers and Blackhawks played each other, the Oilers put on a solid offensive performance but fell just short of beating Chicago on the road, falling 5-4.

"It's definitely something where we've got to look at the positives from that game," said Oilers defenceman Jeff Petry. "We did play well for the majority of the game. We had a few lapses and they capitalized on it. I think it's just a matter of sticking with the game plan and sticking with things that work for us and we should be alright."

The Oilers have seemed to play the Blackhawks well in recent history, winning 6 of 12 since 2010, with one of their six losses having been in overtime. The feeling around the dressing room is that there is almost a boost in performance whenever they take on Chicago, a team consistently near the top of the NHL standings.

"We've had some success against them and it's mostly been because of the way we've come out and played," said Oilers goaltender Devan Dubnyk. "We had a close one with them in Chicago and I guess, when you get a team that's as talented and plays as well as a group as they do, they're probably one of the best if not the best with how they play together consistently. If that's a little extra motivation to get up, we'll use it."

Sam Gagner is an Edmonton player who has seen much success against Chicago in his career with 21 points in 23 games against the Blackhawks.

EMBRACING A CHALLENGE

The Oilers will put their three-game winning streak on the line when they host Chicago tonight, but the team is not backing down from the challenge. The defenceman of the Oilers in particular have a vested interest in seeing where they measure up against a potent offence like the one presented by Chicago.

The 'Hawks boast three players with over 20 points on the season, and three more with over 15.

"It's something that we look forward to," said Petry. "It's a good test for us as a defensive core and as a team. We played well against them the majority of the game in Chicago but didn't get the result we wanted too. Here's a chance. We're coming off of three wins but it's definitely going to be a strong test for us tonight."

DUBNYK'S ROLL

The Oilers have remained successful as of late, partially due to the play of starting goaltender Devan Dubnyk. The Oilers' goalie was named the NHL's 'Third Star of the Week' for the week ending on November 24.

During that week, Dubnyk was 2-0-0 with a .50 GAA and .974 save percentage.

"It's nice and it's fun, it's been great. Obviously, those are nice things to get recognized for but definitely, you could say pretty easily, this week was a good team effort from everybody. I'm certainly happy to get that but going forward here, if we can keep up what we're doing as a group, that's where we'll get the success for sure."

KEEPING THE POWER IN THE POWER PLAY

The Oilers have been extremely successful on special teams lately. Edmonton ranks ninth overall in the NHL on the power play and a lot of that success is due to the Oilers new five-forward power play unit.

With putting five forwards on the ice for the power play, a team runs the risk of the opponents getting some short-handed rushes. But Oilers Head Coach Dallas Eakins thinks his team is up to the challenge presented by Chicago's penalty kill unit.

"Those five forwards understand that if there's a breakdown happening, someone hit the alarm," said Eakins. "Alarms should be going off in their heads to get the hell back and support. We can't just throw caution to the wind… When that unit or, and for that case, both units right now are getting good looks on our power plays, I'm not breaking them up just because we're playing against a team. Will I hold my breath a little longer if there's some close action at our blue line? Maybe so. But those five guys fully understand what they're out there against. They understand the danger and it's up to them to recognize it and get the hell out of there if there are problems brewing."

Sorry about the page layout. Had some issues with formatting and such....:shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
1-0 game, could go either way haha.
These are usually low-scoring affairs, right?

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
:handclap: outstanding responses. lol

Beyond ridiculous that he isn't playing.

Agreed. I understand Eakins wanting to run what's been working, but even he should know this team is better with Arco in the lineup in some capacity. There are a few guys who have had nothing to do with the wins lately..guys I would go so far as to say we have been winning DESPITE their presence on the ice.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
As long as we play well, I'll be happy. Chicago is too good of a team for us to reasonably expect a win. Getting a point in an OT or SO loss would be music.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
:handclap: outstanding responses. lol

Beyond ridiculous that he isn't playing.

no it's not.

I also look forward to Arcobello playing again, but I also don't see the need to change the lineup when the team is on their first winning streak of the year.
why mess with a winning chemistry?

If the Oilers lose tonight, I'll join you guys in screaming for Arco.
If Edmonton wins, he can sit a while longer.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
^^^^what he said^^^^

And.

Maybe it's better I can't see the images. It better not be more clowns Dorian2 or I'll go bat ****!:rant:

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
First post !

Been waiting for this game few days, but unfortunately Crawford is starting. Oilers is my team in NHL and Raanta was last year the number one goalie for my hometown team Ässät when "we" won the championship. Joensuu played here also during lockout. He was total beast in FEL !

Oilers win 5-3 (First two shots goes behind CC and Raanta gets his chance :) )

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
no it's not.

I also look forward to Arcobello playing again, but I also don't see the need to change the lineup when the team is on their first winning streak of the year.
why mess with a winning chemistry?

If the Oilers lose tonight, I'll join you guys in screaming for Arco.
If Edmonton wins, he can sit a while longer.

Not screaming for Arco...but you honestly don't see anywhere in the lineup he would be better than the person there? Not to mention this "win streak" has not included anyone remotely close to the calibre of Chicago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad