BJJ/Grappling Thread

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Since we have a Muay Thai thread, why not have one for the ground game? Whether you do BJJ, no-gi, judo, catch wrestling, let's discuss it here!

Anyone here roll? I've been doing BJJ on again, off again for about a year. Finally back in a groove, so hopefully I can maintain that and make it a habit.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Since we have a Muay Thai thread, why not have one for the ground game? Whether you do BJJ, no-gi, judo, catch wrestling, let's discuss it here!

Anyone here roll? I've been doing BJJ on again, off again for about a year. Finally back in a groove, so hopefully I can maintain that and make it a habit.

After my running season is finished, I'm hoping to start some BJJ, I did TKD as a kid, but my ankle can't take the impact of kicking, so I think BJJ would be a bit better suited. Also being a promoter, I would like to learn more.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
After my running season is finished, I'm hoping to start some BJJ, I did TKD as a kid, but my ankle can't take the impact of kicking, so I think BJJ would be a bit better suited. Also being a promoter, I would like to learn more.

Right on. When Mike Goldberg was brought in to do the UFC pbp back in the 90s, he had to take a BJJ class so he knew the names of the moves.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I've been doing BJJ for a couple of years now after several years of practicing some sambo. Too bad the area doesn't have a black belt school, oh well, grappling/BJJ are just starting to grow in Siberia.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

Yeah, I roll. Tried a bit of everything, and stuck with BJJ and Judo.

However, 1 day a week of Judo takes more of a toll on me than 5 days a week of BJJ.

Even if you are going easy on each other, helping ease the other guy down rather than full throwing him is hard on the muscles. Full throwing is hard on the hips even after you learn to contort for minimum damage lol

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm slowly getting back into a steady routine of BJJ, not 5 days a week mind you, but trying to get up to 3, in addition to cross training, which at this point I'm trying to keep to cardio as I have a lot of weight I need to lose. Doing heavy lifting in addition to the BJJ isn't too kind on my joints.

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
Been training Jiu-Jitsu sporadically for a couple years. I'm in university so I can only devote a couple months to training in between classes. Currently I'm doing Krav Maga until my next college class starts but may switch back to grappling afterwards.

Out of all the martial arts I've trained the Gentle Art is my favorite.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
I have recently started with BJJ and I like it so far. I am old.. 37 :) so I need to learn to calm down and not try so hard.
Looking forward to a long journey since it seems like a thing you can do relatively risk free for a long time. I think I enjoy the martial art/ self- defense aspect of it more than the competitive side.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I have recently started with BJJ and I like it so far. I am old.. 37 :) so I need to learn to calm down and not try so hard.
Looking forward to a long journey since it seems like a thing you can do relatively risk free for a long time. I think I enjoy the martial art/ self- defense aspect of it more than the competitive side.

How are you liking it so far?

I have been putting off starting BJJ for a few years for various reasons, but I am a similar age to you so I'm curious how it is starting at that time.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
2 of my friends have been practicing Judo for several years. At times, I go along also. I’ve learned some things but it’s difficult to go against someone who out-classes you. I try a few things here and there but ultimately end up tapping.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium

I have been putting off starting BJJ for a few years for various reasons, but I am a similar age to you so I'm curious how it is starting at that time.
I love it. Some other white belt stepped with his knee on to my lower rib cage the other day and it hurt like hell and I had to stop the practice. I have had some problems finding a comfortable sleeping position for the last few nights since then so taking a few days off right now . Sucks getting old and getting bruises :) In a few months I might even get enough skills to submit someone.

Reactions: m9

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Purple belt here. Trained under Ryan Hall before moving back to the NY area. Haven’t trained in a few months while getting settled in.

Why are you putting it off?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Purple belt here. Trained under Ryan Hall before moving back to the NY area. Haven’t trained in a few months while getting settled in.

Why are you putting it off?

Mainly due to a couple of bad injuries from other sports - needed surgeries, etc. I didn't really want to get into a new sport until I was fully recovered, which will probably be next year at this point.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Mainly due to a couple of bad injuries from other sports - needed surgeries, etc. I didn't really want to get into a new sport until I was fully recovered, which will probably be next year at this point.

I hear you. Totally agree with letting your body heal up.

I couldn’t recommend it enough when you get healthy though. There are few things I enjoy than a good roll.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

With him getting some attention because of the end of the McGregor/Khabib fight, here are some highlights of Dillon Danis rolling. Not saying that he could beat Khabib in an MMA fight at this point in their respective careers, but he certainly wouldn't have an issue on the ground with him like McGregor did...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
In a straight grappling match? For sure. Danis is a cut below the elite of the elite.

He’d get knocked out really quickly though.

Oh no doubt. He doesn't have the stand up to be a good MMA fighter at this point. BJJ/Grappling though, he's very, very good.

I still think it's funny that his BJJ coach tossed him out of his gym over Danis shit talking other fighters on instagram...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Marcelo Garcia is a saint.

Not at all surprised.

I don't know Danis, but I can say I know a few people who have met him and he's a very likable guy from all accounts. Very personable and very down to earth. He may trash talk on social media, but that's more of a generational thing, IMO. Garcia had his reasons and I'm sure it must have been tough kicking out your home grown protege, but good for him for standing by his principles.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
BJJ is basically an injured man's martial art. You can roll with very few high impact moves and change your game ad infinitum to avoid getting more damage.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Anyone catch Gordon Ryan submitting Josh Barnett? Ryan winning didn't really shock me, but how he made it look so easy did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad