Confirmed with Link: Bissonnette to Tryout at Training Camp

Shaw65

Mar 13, 2011
Canada
The Blues have invited @BizNasty2point0 to a tryout at training camp

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=730485

The Blues have invited unrestricted free agent forward Paul Bissonnette to a tryout at training camp.

Bissonnette, 29, has played in 202 career NHL games, registering seven goals and 15 assists (22 points). He has a plus-7 rating and 340 career penalty minutes.

Bissonnette spent the past five seasons with the Phoenix Coyotes. He made his NHL debut with the Pittsburgh Penguins during the 2008-09 season.

The Blues begin training camp on Friday. The first practice that will be open to the public is Saturday at 1 p.m. at Scottrade Center. Doors will open at 12:30 p.m.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Biz has a pretty funny twitter account. But that being said, he'll either make the squad due to injury, or more than likely he'll be down in Chicago/looking for new employment in a few weeks.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I am actually not that surprised to be honest.

He probably won't even make the team, but I wouldn't mind it if he did and here's why: I think the Blues sacrificed a little bit of grit for some skill this offseason, which is fine because we needed to become more skilled and we have a better team now than we did last year. However, I was a bit worried about our defense being too soft. But now to make up for that, while Biz obviously is a forward, I honestly wouldn't mind having him on the roster just to have the option of playing both him and Reaves against certain teams if need be - like Colorado so both of them can take turns punching Bordeleau. We have the option of being a very skilled team from top to bottom while having a very physical 4th line, which is the way to go IMO.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I see army has entered his Hoarding phase...

Or St Louis is a desirable situation for a lot of these fringe guys:
The Blues are going to be good, and they play a style that Bissonette probably feels he can compliment well. And if he is in the AHL, he gets to be in Chicago (assuming he doesn't catch on somewhere else).

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I am actually not that surprised to be honest.

He probably won't even make the team, but I wouldn't mind it if he did and here's why: I think the Blues sacrificed a little bit of grit for some skill this offseason, which is fine because we needed to become more skilled and we have a better team now than we did last year. However, I was a bit worried about our defense being too soft. But now to make up for that, while Biz obviously is a forward, I honestly wouldn't mind having him on the roster just to have the option of playing both him and Reaves against certain teams if need be - like Colorado so both of them can take turns punching Bordeleau. We have the option of being a very skilled team from top to bottom while having a very physical 4th line, which is the way to go IMO.

I hear what you're saying, but at who's expense?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Blues will need to roll 6 lines this year:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Stastny-Frank
Berglund-Lehtera-Jaskin
Paajarvi-Mueller-Lindstrom
Bissonnette-Ott-Fraser
XXXXX-Porter-Reaves

OK, looks like we need to sign one more winger. Or bump Paajarvi down and put Rattie on the Mueller line. (I know, I have Mueller playing center...he's going to have to.)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I hear what you're saying, but at who's expense?
Good point, I'm not sure the answer of that either. But I think the answer might be Magnus Paajarvi unless he shows that he's really improved in camp.

So these guys are locked in to be on the team, IMO (barring a trade, these guys aren't going to Chicago): Steen, Backes, Oshie, Schwartz (going to count him even though he doesn't have a contract yet), Stastny, Tarasenko, Berglund, Ott, Lapierre, Reaves, Lehtera.

That's 11, and at least one of Mueller/Lindstrom/Jaskin should win a spot and fill out the other starting spot, so that's 12. For argument's sake let's just say that guy is Lindstrom.

So, if that is the case, then Jaskin and Porter will probably be sent to Chicago anyways for a few reasons. Mueller could be an extra or be sent down, and then there's Paajarvi, who I honestly think may be the odd man out now. If he doesn't outperform Lindstrom, Jaskin and Mueller (which I don't really think he will) then what do you do with him? Because as a 4th-liner guys like Bissonnette and even Colin Fraser and Chris Porter would probably be more useful playing alongside Ott, Lapierre, and Reaves. Not to mention they would make half of Paajarvi's salary, giving us a bit more room to sign Schwartz.

Gonna be a hell of a training camp.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Stastny-Frank
Berglund-Lehtera-Jaskin
Bissonnette-Ott-Fraser
XXXXX-Porter-Reaves

OK, looks like we need to sign one more winger. Or bump Paajarvi down and put Rattie on the Mueller line. (I know, I have Mueller playing center...he's going to have to.)

With all this off-season time, Armstrong has still failed to address the depth issue in the bottom 9. :shakehead

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Stastny-Frank
Berglund-Lehtera-Jaskin
Bissonnette-Ott-Fraser
XXXXX-Porter-Reaves

I know this post is kinda sarcasm, but after the disaster of the final 6 games last season, I love the fact we have 18(19 including Rattie) NHL-calibre forwards.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Or St Louis is a desirable situation for a lot of these fringe guys:
The Blues are going to be good, and they play a style that Bissonette probably feels he can compliment well. And if he is in the AHL, he gets to be in Chicago (assuming he doesn't catch on somewhere else).
It's crazy that last year we couldn't get anybody and this year everyone wants to crash on our couch

Biz is already at the informal skate today

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
Pure speculation on my part: I am curious whether the Blues want Reaves to fear for his job a little and to provide him some motivation and a reminder as to his role. I am not sure whether Reaves’ (pre-injury) downturn in “asserting†himself was his call or Hitch’s call.

OR perhaps the Blues wants some “enforcer†depth in the organization, and will try to sign BizNasty to a 2-way deal if he is short on options. When Reaves was injured, the increased liberties taken by other teams wee apparent.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
In a tweet, Reaves said his hand wasn't 100% after his surgery. He said he's 100% now and resumed boxing over the break

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm kind of confused about bringing him in in a PTO. I don't expect anything to come of it, but still. Reaves is better in just about every aspect.

A camp tryout isn't just a tryout for the team whose camp it is. Its a chance for him to get into pre-season games and have some current performance to use in assessing his role with other potential employers. Plus, what else are you going to do if you're in his position where no one has offered a contract (that you're willing to accept)?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
In a tweet, Reaves said his hand wasn't 100% after his surgery. He said he's 100% now and resumed boxing over the break

I thought that was pretty evident, that he was told he shouldn't fight or punch with that hand, even though he was otherwise cleared to skate.

Frankly, I don't think his fighting is that critical a role for the team. I just don't want him to be tentative out there, so its good to hear he'll be back to his normal style of play.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I thought that was pretty evident, that he was told he shouldn't fight or punch with that hand, even though he was otherwise cleared to skate.

Frankly, I don't think his fighting is that critical a role for the team. I just don't want him to be tentative out there, so its good to hear he'll be back to his normal style of play.
He did break Crosby.... lol

I'd say Toews too, but he kept on after that nasty shoulder to shoulder

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
A camp tryout isn't just a tryout for the team whose camp it is. Its a chance for him to get into pre-season games and have some current performance to use in assessing his role with other potential employers. Plus, what else are you going to do if you're in his position where no one has offered a contract (that you're willing to accept)?

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand why he accepted the tryout. I'm simply confused as to why we were the team to offer it to him. He doesn't have a prayer of making this team, and frankly I'd rather not have him taking a spot in Chicago.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
This doesn't really mean anything other than the Blues wanted an extra player for the early training camp rosters, and potentially another depth player to stick in Chicago. Biznasty gets to show he can still be a contributor, and will probably sign with another team after training camp. Nothing to get excited about, since we've already got a forward logjam.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
So if Biz signs a deal, wouldn't that leave less money for Schwartz? I thought signing Schwartz was a priority and money was tight.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
So if Biz signs a deal, wouldn't that leave less money for Schwartz? I thought signing Schwartz was a priority and money was tight.

It would have no impact. Contracts $925k or lower don't have any impact against the salary cap if they are in the AHL, and he sure as hell wouldn't be getting more than $925k.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad