Confirmed with Link: Bishop traded to Stars for 4th round pick

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
It happens. I wasn't particularly high on Cernak going into that draft. Obviously it's not ideal, but I imagine there are a few teams that have buyer's remorse on their 2015 picks already.

At least it wasn't like spending a top 10 pick on Nikita Filatov and dealing him for a 3rd rounder three years later. I recall Yannetti mentioning that the Kings were hoping Paul Bittner would slide down a few more spots but he got picked #38. Bittner had 0 goals and 3 assists in 31 AHL games this season (I saw him play a few times for Portland and curiously they were using him as a center in Cleveland).

Yup,

Drafting is a crap shoot. We should all know this, by now.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Had they not made that Lucic trade, one of Matthew Barzal, Kyle Connor or Travis Konecny, would have been available for the Kings to select, and forwards on entry level contracts who'd be ready to make a contribution.

That shortsighted deal really did set the team back, didn't it? And man did the Bruins come out with a steal in the 2nd round with Brandon Carlo. Funny how their trades towards the future didn't hinder them from making the playoffs.

I like all those players but not one made a significant NHL impact this year. I don't know if that's what you're suggesting, but Konecny only had 4 more points than Trevor Lewis, Connor was good for 5 points in 20 games, Barzal 0 for 2. And all on far crazier offensive teams, Konecny at least with significant power play time. Those guys would have gotten eviscerated around here for that.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I like all those players but not one made a significant NHL impact this year. I don't know if that's what you're suggesting, but Konecny only had 4 more points than Trevor Lewis, Connor was good for 5 points in 20 games, Barzal 0 for 2. And all on far crazier offensive teams, Konecny at least with significant power play time. Those guys would have gotten eviscerated around here for that.

They wouldn't even be on the team, they would have played in the AHL longer, like they should have been.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Or it was the best deal available?

A month and a half before the draft and free agency? No way that is the best deal to be had.

The playoffs aren't even over yet. For all we know there could be a team that is not happy with their goaltending results by the end. Hell, one of the remaining goaltenders careers could end before the Cup is awarded for all we know.

Nope. Not the best deal out there.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Call me crazy, but I don't think Bishop is even that great.

Especially at the rumored Demands Bishop has in mind.

The guy will be 31 years of age during next season.

I wouldn't have gave up a 3rd or a 4th for his rights.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Definitely. When I read the alert, I just shook my head. :shakehead

Why do/did I have a feeling that Blake was going to get bent by other more experienced GM's when it comes to deals?

I don't think GMs go into deals looking to take advantage of each other when it comes to potential deals. I have heard interviews with former GMs who talk about respect and not wanting to burn bridges with the other GMs in the league.

If you gain a reputation for trying to take other guys to the cleaners on deals, that only hurts you and the organization you work for.

I got no problem with the return the Kings got in this deal. I'm sure they talked to a number of clubs who might have been in the market for a goaltender and this was the best return. Looking at who is left in the playoffs, I don't see a team that would have a pressing need to look to acquire Bishop.

You could wait closer to the expansion draft/NHL draft but by that point I think you will see more goalies in play to be moved so there is the potential for the market to become saturated.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I don't think GMs go into deals looking to take advantage of each other when it comes to potential deals. I have heard interviews with former GMs who talk about respect and not wanting to burn bridges with the other GMs in the league.

If you gain a reputation for trying to take other guys to the cleaners on deals, that only hurts you and the organization you work for.

I got no problem with the return the Kings got in this deal. I'm sure they talked to a number of clubs who might have been in the market for a goaltender and this was the best return. Looking at who is left in the playoffs, I don't see a team that would have a pressing need to look to acquire Bishop.

You could wait closer to the expansion draft/NHL draft but by that point I think you will see more goalies in play to be moved so there is the potential for the market to become saturated.

Lombardi got taken to the cleaners with the Lucic deal. I'd never do another deal with Boston after they flipped Jones to the Sharks, knowing damn well he was trying to avoid him playing in the west.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Solid asset management. To be honest, though there would be demand, I didn't expect to get a pick out of his rights.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lombardi got taken to the cleaners with the Lucic deal. I'd never do another deal with Boston after they flipped Jones to the Sharks, knowing damn well he was trying to avoid him playing in the west.

Only 4 Boston trades since then. One was Reilly Smith and Marc Savard's contract for Jimmy Hayes and it was within 24 hours of Jones to SJ. The other three were rentals--Stempniak, Stafford, Liles--for a mountain of picks. Could be nothing, but also might be GMs staying away.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Definitely. When I read the alert, I just shook my head. :shakehead

Why do/did I have a feeling that Blake was going to get bent by other more experienced GM's when it comes to deals?

This is an example of getting bent? At least expectations aren't low.

A month and a half before the draft and free agency? No way that is the best deal to be had.

The playoffs aren't even over yet. For all we know there could be a team that is not happy with their goaltending results by the end. Hell, one of the remaining goaltenders careers could end before the Cup is awarded for all we know.

Nope. Not the best deal out there.

So then what is Bowman's reason for trading Darling even earlier? All he got was a 3rd round pick, and it wasn't even Carolina's own pick. Darling is both younger, and most likely cheaper, than Bishop too.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Plus if that's the case, then there's some less leverage for Blake, through no fault of his own. But, terrible GM, can't do anything, everything is horrible, why even bother, no point to next season, and certainly not anything beyond that, fold the franchise.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
This is an example of getting bent? At least expectations aren't low.

So then what is Bowman's reason for trading Darling even earlier? All he got was a 3rd round pick, and it wasn't even Carolina's own pick. Darling is both younger, and most likely cheaper, than Bishop too.

I never said it was. I did imply that an inexperienced former player may get taken advantage of in deals because that has happened many times before in the past though.

Because Carolina offered a 3rd for a backup goaltender. The Kings "settled" for a 4th for a two time Vezina nominee.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Still stand by my assertion that it was the best trade available, especially after that Tweet above. Happy they could salvage him for anything. Maybe they'll package it with something else and move into the second round.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I never said it was. I did imply that an inexperienced former player may get taken advantage of in deals because that has happened many times before in the past though.

You said you had a feeling Blake was going to get, not might get, or could get, but a more definitive was going to get bent by more experienced GM's. As in, he no doubt got raked over the coals in this one. Enough to shake your head in response to it when you heard about it. That sounds like a little more than implying a general theory on inexperienced GM's.

Because Carolina offered a 3rd for a backup goaltender. The Kings "settled" for a 4th for a two time Vezina nominee.

That other teams know the Kings can't sign, and may have limited the number of teams he wanted to go to. Why would a team trade for his rights if there's no chance he signs there? So all the teams unhappy with their goaltending, or any potential career ending injuries for goalies still playing, may not matter at all to where the Kings could trade his rights.

And again, now you're moving the goalposts a bit. Now you're adding context. Your complaint was about the timing of the move, and all the possible reasons why weeks before the draft or free agency is a bad time to make the move. That Darling was a backup has nothing to do with that. He's been a hot backup name for the last few years. Unhappy teams, career ending injuries, they all apply to Darling's availability too. Why settle for just a 3rd weeks before the draft? That couldn't have possibly been the best deal out there.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

That's Lombardi's own fault. He thought he was getting good value. I don't think Sweeney went into that discussion with Deano rubbing his hands together thinking "I'm gonna pull a fast one here".

As the story goes and/or correct me if I am mistaken, Calgary was ready to offer sheet Jones and Lombardi knew of this so he decided to deal him as part of the Lucic trade.

You certainly can't fault the Bruins for flipping Jones and I am sure that was their intent. Surely Lombardi would have known this seeing the Bruins already had Rask.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I had convinced myself that Lombardi traded for Bishop with the expansion draft in mind. I'm surprised that he got dealt this early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad