Post-Game Talk: Birthday Boy Bertuzzi Bashes the Avalance!

Scion

May 25, 2012
We could really use a reliable secondary puck mover after Rielly.
Liljegren show's flashs of being this player but it can also be inconsistent.
Any of Hanifin, Weeger, Anderssen etc would help in this regard but you'll have to pay a hefty price but maybe we should.
A good puck mover is rendered ineffective if they don't have the size to withstand heavy players below the red line or the speed to get first touch on retrievals. It's a big reason why Liljegren can be susceptible against aggressive forechecking teams despite being a good puck mover himself.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Not every game at all. I thought they would lose to Ottawa a couple of weeks ago. I also thought they would lose last night. But it's not really about that. It's more about having patience and letting a team gel and mature over time. I think that is all we are seeing now. The only surprising aspect of this season for me is whatever the heck has happened with Samsonov. I haven't seen a slingshot like this in a long time. The guy was dead and buried on New Year's Eve, and last night he looked like a completely different person.
I’m just joking with you, i appreciate your positivity. I said it last year and I’ve been saying it this year, the East is there for the taking. They play this style of hockey and get adequate goaltending, they can do it

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So he basically forfeited a shot at the EN for nothing?
He tried to take it into a safer area and ensure the goal. Players do it all of the time instead of shooting right from center. This time, it hit a rut and bounced over his stick when he went to shoot. With hindsight, he would have been better off just shooting from center and getting some chance to put away the game, but if it didn't go in, shooting or carrying like he did didn't really change whether or not it went back down the ice again. And quite frankly, we never should have allowed the puck to go the entire length of the ice for a good shot in 5.5 seconds anyway.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If I'm the only one, well...but I'm growing tired of the bash on JT wagon. He signed for what he signed, and you're bitching...wtf...you claim to be pro player and diss the fella who came home at a discount. Come on. Yes, he is declining, no doubt, but we knew that would happen and I remember that as much of the folk here say, 'oh god, that was terrible', there were a whole lot more folk who were 'pro' the signing than 'con'.

The thing I don't understand, reading this shit, is how Leaf fans scream how much they appreciate 'honest', 'hard working' players. And outside of Riellly, I can't think of any player on our team who offers a more honest effort than John Tavares.

Yes, he has declined, he ain't what he was, he's slow. But, I've never seen him play a game where I think he didn't give, overall, an 85% effort, and usually more. FTR, I think Rielly should wear the C. That said, John Tavares represents the Toronto Maple Leafs, my team, in a 'PROFESSIONAL!' way. He deserves respect. I wish others on this team gave the same effort relative to their skills, as JT. We would have been, and would be, a better team.
I've never had a problem with JT. I never liked the signing as I think he was not what we needed.

Similarly I've never had problem with his work ethic. I've been saying for a year or more that he's slowing down and needs to play 3C or the wing.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I've never had a problem with JT. I never liked the signing as I think he was not what we needed.

Similarly I've never had problem with his work ethic. I've been saying for a year or more that he's slowing down and needs to play 3C or the wing.
I've been saying for years that Gardiner should play Left Wing. Previously Kaberle on the Wing...

;)

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I wished there was a way we could move JT, but his contract is untradeable unless he gives the ok, but who would take on that hasben.
After July 1 when the leafs pay his signing bonus he’s only owed 910 k. Tavares at under a million would be great value for a team that can absorb the cap hit i.e Buffalo.

I still don’t think they have the stones to ask him to waive his NMC but if it means we can keep Bertuzzi and sign a RD then it’s hard not to want to have that talk.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
After July 1 when the leafs pay his signing bonus he’s only owed owed 910 k. Tavares at under a million would be great value for a team that can absorb the cap hit i.e Buffalo.

I still don’t think they have the stones to ask him to waive his NMC but if it means we can keep Bertuzzi and sign a RD then it’s hard not to want have that talk.

Please send him out. Worst captain ever

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I've been saying for years that Gardiner should play Left Wing. Previously Kaberle on the Wing...

;)
The thing that was so maddening about Gardiner is that he was usually quite good IMO. It's just that he made the absolute worst mistakes at the absolute worst possible times.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
This streak really has been invigorating. The buy-in and energy from all 4 lines is huge. We all know no matter how much talent, the hungrier team will still win many nights, even inferior. Effort has been questioned (as with any fan base sometimes likely) But the boys are buzzing four deep, so refreshing.
This is the "core 4" issue everyone has screamed about for years, and breaking it all up has been HUGE. I honestly think it adds a new hunger all throughout the lineup.

- Matty and Mitch (and Knies no slouch) are grooving and you KNOW both are hungry to get goals/wins.
- LUV Willie with Domi and Bert (and their summer teeth. Sum'er in Domi's mouth and sum'er in berts, between the 2 there's a mouthful lol) . Willie is world class and the other 2 have been shuffled around finding a spot, and this looks good. You can tell they are engaged and snarly enough, and give Willy room. As someone said this could be a huge line in the playoffs.
- Third line of JT with McMann and Robertson has been good. JT seems to be playing better, and 2 capable guys that are hungry to belong.
- Fourth line has been getting plenty of icetime and tilting the ice. Reaves has been solid and if he can stay that aggressive with his presence, it is huge for the team you can see it.

I really think the shakeup makes all 4 lines have kinda something to prove and makes everyone just a bit edgier and hungry.

Loving it!

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A good puck mover is rendered ineffective if they don't have the size to withstand heavy players below the red line or the speed to get first touch on retrievals. It's a big reason why Liljegren can be susceptible against aggressive forechecking teams despite being a good puck mover himself.

Yeah, if you have speedy, skilled puck carriers like like the Avs crew, the best thing you can do is initiate a chip or dump and chase game and either get them retreating on the boards or having to gather up a puck on the end walls and just hammer them early and often. Or every time they pinch you get up in their face. They won't be making those crisp clean plays from a bump back for long. But to be fair we don't have the perfect roster for that kind of hockey either.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Delusional

Dion took a by comparison garbage team in 2013 v Bruins to Game 7 and got shafted by the refs along the way pretty bad. That team went to war and delivered more in that series than this group ever has.

JT Keefe teams have done nothing but collapse.

He is trash.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
This streak really has been invigorating. The buy-in and energy from all 4 lines is huge. We all know no matter how much talent, the hungrier team will still win many nights, even inferior. Effort has been questioned (as with any fan base sometimes likely) But the boys are buzzing four deep, so refreshing.
This is the "core 4" issue everyone has screamed about for years, and breaking it all up has been HUGE. I honestly think it adds a new hunger all throughout the lineup.

- Matty and Mitch (and Knies no slouch) are grooving and you KNOW both are hungry to get goals/wins.
- LUV Willie with Domi and Bert (and their summer teeth. Sum'er in Domi's mouth and sum'er in berts, between the 2 there's a mouthful lol) . Willie is world class and the other 2 have been shuffled around finding a spot, and this looks good. You can tell they are engaged and snarly enough, and give Willy room. As someone said this could be a huge line in the playoffs.
- Third line of JT with McMann and Robertson has been good. JT seems to be playing better, and 2 capable guys that are hungry to belong.
- Fourth line has been getting plenty of icetime and tilting the ice. Reaves has been solid and if he can stay that aggressive with his presence, it is huge for the team you can see it.

I really think the shakeup makes all 4 lines have kinda something to prove and makes everyone just a bit edgier and hungry.

Loving it!
They have definitely gone to a new level. The big 3 have for sure reached new heights and the depth guys (McMann, Knies, Robertson) are much better than last year with Engvall, ZAR etc.

It feels like we are 1 D-man away from possibly doing something special.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Cale Makar isn't exactly a behemoth

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yeah, if you have speedy, skilled puck carriers like like the Avs crew, the best thing you can do is initiate a chip or dump and chase game and either get them retreating on the boards or having to gather up a puck on the end walls and just hammer them early and often. Or every time they pinch you get up in their face. They won't be making those crisp clean plays from a bump back for long. But to be fair we don't have the perfect roster for that kind of hockey either.
Thats why the only line that seemed to have repeated success forechecking against the Avs was our 4th line.
Avs is really us on steroids. Makar is better than Reilly in everything. Toews is what we want McCabe or Lilly to become. Mack is more explosive than AM, while AM is the better scorer. Rantanen is pretty much a bigger and shooting version of MM. Landy(when healthy and playing) is a physical version of JT. Rojo is just Domi with teeth, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad