Cut/Released: Billy Butler

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Bizarre signing from day one. But Butler to me was the physical embodiment of A's baseball. High OBP, patience at the plate, etc.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
if i was him i would just wait til offseason, he cant play in playoffs so no point signing now

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
After the altercation with Valencia, multiple teammates stood up for Valencia and didn't say a word from Butler. Guarantee there is more to this than just baseball.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
After the altercation with Valencia, multiple teammates stood up for Valencia and didn't say a word from Butler. Guarantee there is more to this than just baseball.

this.

although the funny thing is that valencia has often been rumored to be a problem in the clubhouse. never heard anything like that about butler. funny thing is that he was actually not that bad this season but whatever, definitely won't miss him

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I remember seeing an article from a Jays guy about how the Jays getting rid of Valencia was vindicated because of that incident with Butler lol

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I remember seeing an article from a Jays guy about how the Jays getting rid of Valencia was vindicated because of that incident with Butler lol

I thought it was Valencia, too, until Crisp and Alonso immediately vouched for him and didn't mention Butler. Then Billy had to apologize for the incident while Valencia never did.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I thought it was Valencia, too, until Crisp and Alonso immediately vouched for him and didn't mention Butler. Then Billy had to apologize for the incident while Valencia never did.
I also saw Eric Hosmer tweet something about how Valencia is actually a really good guy or something like that.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I also saw Eric Hosmer tweet something about how Valencia is actually a really good guy or something like that.

the fact that hosmer stood behind valencia and not butler got me thinking that butler has most likely had clubhouse issues in the past that we never heard about, considering hosmer played with butler a lot longer than he did with valencia

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
I think it's funny Butler said he thought he helped the team when he actually got a chance to play.
What's so funny about it? He still was one of the better hitters on that team (even while being a slightly subpar hitter himself).

Gruß,
BSHH

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
That was the exact site I was looking at before writing my answer. With a wRC+ of 99, he was one of the better hitters in Oakland indeed.

Gruß,
BSHH

He's a DH. There's one other DH type on that team who has a wRC+ of 115. What do you do with Billy Butler then?

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
He's a DH. There's one other DH type on that team who has a wRC+ of 115. What do you do with Billy Butler then?
Davis often played as OF. Anyway, Butler could at least be useful as a PH. I understand that he wasn't overly popular in Oakland, but lets not pretend he held many better hitters back.

Gruß,
BSHH

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
it's not about holding better hitters back, it's just about admitting defeat and cutting a guy loose who was never a fit and was disgruntled because he wasn't being allowed to play while being ******. the dustup with valencia didn't help him either, especially when guys on other teams are siding with valencia who is a known scoundrel.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
it's not about holding better hitters back, it's just about admitting defeat and cutting a guy loose who was never a fit and was disgruntled because he wasn't being allowed to play while being ******. the dustup with valencia didn't help him either, especially when guys on other teams are siding with valencia who is a known scoundrel.
That was a weird signing from the beginning. I still wonder a) why the A's spent so much for a almost pure DH and b) which other teams Beane presumed to be interested in offering Butler a similar deal with most wealthy Al teams finding their DH spots already occupied.

Anyway, the brawl with Valencia must have triggered his demise. Otherwise, the A's would have been better off to keep him until the start of next season in order to try and find a new team for him.

Gruß,
BSHH

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg

So the Yankees obviously have signed Butler. Let's see whose endorsement deal he would like to discuss there...

Gruß,
BSHH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad