NBA Bill Russell passes away

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

This interaction seems like it was staged

As if a publicist set it up to have Russell talk with Kobe at half court with a camera rolling

It also seems kinda awkward; Kobe forced to remain modest and respectful, Russell doing his best impression of a father figure handing out sage advice

It looks like a conversation they both would've rather had in private

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
How come I learned that one of the NBA biggest icon has died through Hfboards...
Canada has failed me on this one.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
NBA retiring #6 leaguewide:

Players who are currently wearing #6 will be allowed to continue wearing it (much like how MLB players who were wearing #42 when it was retired for Jackie Robinson were allowed to continue wearing it).

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Gretzky and Robinson make sense as league-wide retired numbers in NHL and MLB.but I'm a touch surprised they didn't retire Jordan's number first. But I'm not complaining, Bill Russell ain't exactly a bad pick. You're not gonna find another athlete as decorated as him in this lifetime

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Gretzky and Robinson make sense as league-wide retired numbers in NHL and MLB.but I'm a touch surprised they didn't retire Jordan's number first. But I'm not complaining, Bill Russell ain't exactly a bad pick. You're not gonna find another athlete as decorated as him in this lifetime

I'd say that Russell having his number retired makes more sense than Gretzky having his retired does. Jordan's case would be along the same lines as Gretzky's I guess. Robinson is probably the only number that I'd have retired league wide in a North American sport though.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'd say that Russell having his number retired makes more sense than Gretzky having his retired does. Jordan's case would be along the same lines as Gretzky's I guess. Robinson is probably the only number that I'd have retired league wide in a North American sport though.

Agreed on Jackie because the color barrier was such a huge deal. It marks the evolution of society and transcends sports. Gretzky yeah, if you're saying it's not as important in scale I agree. I think he got it because he almost doubles his competition and is a GOAT in every sense of the word. I don't particularly have a problem with it but it's not anything like Jackie. At the end of the day it doesn't affect me and I might as well bow to the GOAT. Bill Russell feels arbitrary in comparison but I know that there's never been a giant of the game before or since.

IDK if it was up to me it would just be Jackie Robinson as the sole number retired. If you're gonna do Gretzky and Russell what's stopping Babe Ruth, Mario Lemieux, and Michael Jordan?

Reactions: LightningStorm

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed on Jackie because the color barrier was such a huge deal. It marks the evolution of society and transcends sports. Gretzky yeah, if you're saying it's not as important in scale I agree. I think he got it because he almost doubles his competition and is a GOAT in every sense of the word. I don't particularly have a problem with it but it's not anything like Jackie. At the end of the day it doesn't affect me and I might as well bow to the GOAT. Bill Russell feels arbitrary in comparison but I know that there's never been a giant of the game before or since.

IDK if it was up to me it would just be Jackie Robinson as the sole number retired. If you're gonna do Gretzky and Russell what's stopping Babe Ruth, Mario Lemieux, and Michael Jordan?

I agree with that. I do think that Russell being retired is a bit reactionary and not really necessary, just as Gretzky's was. It isn't an offensive gesture or anything. Robinson is a different situation all together.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I sort of view Russell's #6 retirement along the lines of the main US Open venue being named Arthur Ashe Stadium, where it's more about their legacy off the court than on. Don't have a problem with the retirement, though do agree it's a bit reactionary. Still though, I do agree that nothing can top retiring #42, as Robinson represented a very important societal moment.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
With the exception of Jackie Robinson due to the historic nature of his career, I’m not a fan of retiring any number league-wide. I just think it sends the wrong message that a certain pinnacle has been reached that’ll never be surpassed, which isn’t a message that I think a league should be sending regardless of a player’s stats or accolades.

Not to mention that doing it for one player invariably begs for conversations about why not doing it for this player or that player as well. Just leave number retirements to the team(s) that the players set history with.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Jordan was a prick though. Russell is one of the few legendary figures in sports that you can't say anything bad about. Today's examples are Federer and Rafa unless I'm being ignorant.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad