Bill Haslam set to join Predators ownership group

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If we never hear a word from Haslam's mouth, and nothing else changes in how the Preds run, it will go nowhere. The NHL will accept him as long as he shuts up and pays his money.

From the NHL's standpoint there isn't really much to lose either. You take his money, give him an opportunity to not piss people off (very preferably just sit in the background and keep his mouth shut) and if he brings controversy than you Sterling him and take credit for "doing something."

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
What’s amusing about this is the Haslam’s don’t need the NHL. They have a money machine running and dabble in sports as a fun hobby. I’m pretty sure that Haslam, as an owner, will do or say pretty much anything he wants to. That said, he seems to be a nice enough guy and probably will be a good owner for Nashville. But make no mistake, he won’t fear Bettman and his tired,old NHL cronies and if push comes to shove, he’ll take his dough and go on to his next interest. For now, it’s good he bought in as a local owner.

Reactions: bdub24

CRay

Feb 9, 2021
What’s amusing about this is the Haslam’s don’t need the NHL. They have a money machine running and dabble in sports as a fun hobby. I’m pretty sure that Haslam, as an owner, will do or say pretty much anything he wants to. That said, he seems to be a nice enough guy and probably will be a good owner for Nashville. But make no mistake, he won’t fear Bettman and his tired,old NHL cronies and if push comes to shove, he’ll take his dough and go on to his next interest. For now, it’s good he bought in as a local owner.
I think he will be more visible and hands on than the current group but doubt he will be a maverick owner. Not sure what he would or could do to buck Bettman, the rules, bylaws and caps are clearly defined. Agree the more local skin in the game the better.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't see how you can say "he seems to be a nice enough guy"... ? I mean, he basically supports messages of hatred and intolerance, openly. Even if he smiles and talks calmly while doing it, how is that "nice"? :dunno:

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I don't see how you can say "he seems to be a nice enough guy"... ? I mean, he basically supports messages of hatred and intolerance, openly. Even if he smiles and talks calmly while doing it, how is that "nice"? :dunno:
I have no idea what he said or who he even is, but the political agenda behind these hypnotic buzzwords "hate" and "intolerance" is so twisted and rotten that I am siding with Haslam on this one

• Haha

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I have no idea what he said or who he even is, but the political agenda behind these hypnotic buzzwords "hate" and "intolerance" is so twisted and rotten that I am siding with Haslam on this one
It's always helpful if people self-enroll themselves. Thanks! :handclap:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I could care less what his opinions are as long as the team is a success and he doesn't try and use the team to drive home those opinions, whatever they are.

I want to watch and talk about hockey, not his or anyone else's political or social views. That has always been a strict non starter here.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
+1 to Amrourboy on this.
Besides, don't most rich folks invest in sports as a tax benefit anyway? As long as he gets what he needs and is hands off, don't care.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I could care less what his opinions are as long as the team is a success and he doesn't try and use the team to drive home those opinions, whatever they are.

I want to watch and talk about hockey, not his or anyone else's political or social views. That has always been a strict non starter here.

+1 to Amrourboy on this.
Besides, don't most rich folks invest in sports as a tax benefit anyway? As long as he gets what he needs and is hands off, don't care.
This kind of apathy is part of what's bringing our society to the brink of disaster. Just keep that opiate flowing into my veins, and don't tell me where it comes from, who is supplying it or profiting from it. :(

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Sorry. You do realize your descriptive words chosen promote exactly those things you attempt to describe? Peace and love are much better words all should be using. This is my only post on this since I’m focused on hockey here and perhaps unlike some, I feel political viewpoints are unnecessary here.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Sorry. You do realize your descriptive words chosen promote exactly those things you attempt to describe? Peace and love are much better words all should be using. This is my only post on this since I’m focused on hockey here and perhaps unlike some, I feel political viewpoints are unnecessary here.
Gotcha. Ok, so Haslam what... "openly opposes peace and love"? People being scared of words is another problem. And people conflating "politics" with simple morals and basic human decency is another problem.

Reactions: Mass

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Haslam got the n the DDC show on 102.5 this past week. Was interesting to hear his thoughts on this whole transition process and how he framed his vision for the future. From what he said, I don’t think the Preds will be in the bottom half of the league for player salary any longer after the transition is completed for his stake in the team. He has deep pockets and a desire to win the cup. Those two combined could end up being a great thing for the Preds and the fans.

Reactions: BigFatCat999

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
cringe article.

Wonder what they would say if a Conservative/fundamentalist Muslim tried to buy part of the Preds.
Probably the same sort of pushback that happens when those folks buy soccer teams. Some complaints, some fretting about what they stand for and where their money came from, and in the end the transaction goes through.

I'm not fond of the guy or what he's done, but, meh. So long as he doesn't change the Preds' uniform to white sheets or something I'll cope.

Reactions: Armourboy

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, I think I had one which was innocuous as well, and a slight discussion of political issues/politics is not really out of bounds when talking about what a recent former politician brings to a franchise.
Well and again, I don't think there is really any "politics" involved here. Like when the Ottawa owner made some bad remarks - there was a big thread about it, because he was an NHL Owner exposing some awful personal beliefs. Haslam is in the same category, just his mode of expression happens to include time spent as a politician, but it's not truly "political". He's just an owner with some disgusting personal beliefs. All of it should be on-topic for discussion.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Lol sure chief
But what does that mean? Nobody cares one bit if Haslam had a D or R label on him. So how exactly is it political, if that is what you are arguing? He's anti-LGBTQ at the least. That's a personal belief, it's not a political issue.

Or maybe he just "pretends he is" for political reasons? Is that what you think? If so, it's not really a distinction which should matter?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
OK, you hate the guy's politics:

1) Big deal. Disagreements happen. This is how democracy, neighborhoods, and countries are formed, via compromise.

2) You are rooting for the team, not the owner. There are players on the team who's politics you hate but you still want them to win!

3) I'm an extreme moderate; I fiscally conservative, I am liberally social, and I am a clown. EVERYONE HATES ME! But y'all still deal with me.

4) If the above is not enough; realize he is footing the bill for Preds management. You are USING him for fun!

Reactions: bdub24 and Viqsi

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
OK, you hate the guy's politics:

1) Big deal. Disagreements happen. This is how democracy, neighborhoods, and countries are formed, via compromise.

2) You are rooting for the team, not the owner. There are players on the team who's politics you hate but you still want them to win!

3) I'm an extreme moderate; I fiscally conservative, I am liberally social, and I am a clown. EVERYONE HATES ME! But y'all still deal with me.

4) If the above is not enough; realize he is footing the bill for Preds management. You are USING him for fun!
I emphasize: IT'S NOT POLITICS!!!! Jeezus. You people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad