Speculation: Bilingual Coaches and GM Candidate List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Mom

Sep 17, 2014
I see one potential Hall of Fame player...and then a bunch of other good to really good players.

I mean it's a cool story...nothing that screams GM wizard.
I get the points you are making.
I understand the relief we all have with the Gorton hire.
and, your concerns that now Molson is going to be going back to the Old Boys club.

Here's MAYBE what's happening though:
Maybe Molson and Gorton already have an idea who they're going to hire?
and..... that hire IS going to be "outside the box"
So, let's bring in Gainey.
When we announce the hire, we have Gainey with at the press announcement.
So, if there's "fires" with the press....
Gainey, calmly speaks and puts them out.
Sounds plausible to me....

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Excited with Vigneualt / Therrien getting canned. We can now hire Alain and put Michel on retainer to take over in 4 years

Reactions: atrud66

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I get the points you are making.
I understand the relief we all have with the Gorton hire.
and, your concerns that now Molson is going to be going back to the Old Boys club.

Here's MAYBE what's happening though:
Maybe Molson and Gorton already have an idea who they're going to hire?
and..... that hire IS going to be "outside the box"
So, let's bring in Gainey.
When we announce the hire, we have Gainey with at the press announcement.
So, if there's "fires" with the press....
Gainey, calmly speaks and puts them out.
Sounds plausible to me....
Like I said, I’m not jumping to conclusions, just commenting on the Gainey news.

Well aware that it might have very little meaning at the end of the day.

Reactions: Mr Mom

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Excited with Vigneualt / Therrien getting canned. We can now hire Alain and put Michel on retainer to take over in 4 years
Ahhhhhhhh, the Rinse and Repeat Era is back on!!
AV will probably work again as a head coach, but Toenails will always be an Asst......always just keeping his foot in the race....lol

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If they bring solely ex-habs oldies, Yep, you would be right. Would make no sense.

But I remember a time when Lou Lamoriello was also seen as an old fart who we wouldn't have taken here. So....isn't it too convenient to automatically associate age with ideas?
It's not so much that it's an ex-Habs oldie, it's that we recycle the same people. What new fresh outlook on organizational structure and team building would a Gainey bring?
Time to leave history where in belongs, in the past. I do not know the extent of his advisory role, if Gorton is simply reaching to hear about his experience as a GM here then fine.
Gainey last left us with Gauthier, and after that we asked for an oldie to advise in selecting a new GM which lead to Bergevin. So, ya, I'm feeling less confident than I did a week ago.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Gainey was GM a little over decade ago. He knows the demands of a modern GM in Montreal. It’s a gruelling market. Gainey is clearly there to guide Gorton on just how demanding it is.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It's not so much that it's an ex-Habs oldie, it's that we recycle the same people. What new fresh outlook on organizational structure and team building would a Gainey bring?
Time to leave history where in belongs, in the past. I do not know the extent of his advisory role, if Gorton is simply reaching to hear about his experience as a GM here then fine.
Gainey last left us with Gauthier, and after that we asked for an oldie to advise in selecting a new GM which lead to Bergevin. So, ya, I'm feeling less confident than I did a week ago.

Frankly, I'M stunned. Molson goes totally out of his way to bring somebody that TOTALLY responds to what most people here were saying about BEST CANDIDATE POSSIBLE NO MATTER THE LANGUAGE...something i never thought possible, and then...boom....Gainey is named in a committee.....that's it. Confidence dropped...Yes, I know. Molson has to go to. But he is the owner. And despite the fact that I'm CLEARLY not his fan, he named Gorton. And I will tell you that there is NOBODY that will be named that we have never heard about BEFORE Gainey was nominated.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Gainey was GM a little over decade ago. He knows the demands of a modern GM in Montreal. It’s a gruelling market. Gainey is clearly there to guide Gorton on just how demanding it is.
Gorton was a GM in New York…working under James Dolan.

Just saying.

Reactions: Andy and tazsub3

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Frankly, I'M stunned. Molson goes totally out of his way to bring somebody that TOTALLY responds to what most people here were saying about BEST CANDIDATE POSSIBLE NO MATTER THE LANGUAGE...something i never thought possible, and then...boom....Gainey is named in a committee.....that's it. Confidence dropped...Yes, I know. Molson has to go to. But he is the owner. And despite the fact that I'm CLEARLY not his fan, he named Gorton. And I will tell you that there is NOBODY that will be named that we have never heard about BEFORE Gainey was nominated.

I don't get the nomination, I'm disappointed, but out of all the oldies Gainey is probably the one I preferred most.
I don't know the extent of his responsibilities so will wait and see.

Reactions: 417

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Gainey isn't the one making the decision, Gorton is. Gorton is the one with a fresh outlook.

FFS, the only thing we know is that La Presse is reporting that Molson contacted Gainey (and Gainey accepted) to be part of a committee set up by Gorton to advise the Canadiens on hiring the next GM. I'm as hopeful as anyone else that the Habs will finally modernize their hockey operations, but there isn't anything objectionable about getting input from probably the best GM the Habs have had in the cap era. We just went through a decade of Bergevin and his foxhole buddies/bicep club, getting different points of view (even an ex-Habs oldie) is not a bad thing. Not everything from the Gainey era or the Bergevin era was bad. Understanding what works and what needs to be improved is what Gorton's doing and having some access to that institutional knowledge isn't bad.

Gorton was a GM in New York…working under James Dolan.

Just saying.

Gorton worked under Sather and Davidson in New York, not Dolan. I'm sure Dolan meddled (because its Dolan), but its not quite the same. Then again, Gainey answered to Pierre Boivin when he was GM, not Gillett.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Gorton worked under Sather and Davidson in New York, not Dolan. I'm sure Dolan meddled (because its Dolan), but its not quite the same. Then again, Gainey answered to Pierre Boivin when he was GM, not Gillett.
I think you missed the point of my post.

I was merely responding that the New York market is also grueling and working for James Dolan is no picnic.

So Gorton is well versed in the aspects of being a GM in a demanding market.

That’s all I was saying.

Edit - he worked in Boston while Harry Sinden was there, again, not exactly a picnic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad