Speculation: Bilingual Coach candidates Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
There's no doubt it will be Hughes. Given his history with Gorton, the instant that he went straight to round two without going through round one, it was a fait accompli.
Round 1 was so-called because according to NHL procedures permission to talk to employed candidates lasts only for two weeks. So all those under contract with another club had to be formally met within a narrow-ish window.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Like Gorton this will be a pure legacy play for Hughes should he be named GM and decide to leave his agency.

He can always return to the agency in 5-7 years after the GM gig
Will his colleagues in his agency just carry on during his haitus and will he receive a smaller percentage of new contracts signed?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Will his colleagues in his agency just carry on during his haitus and will he receive a smaller percentage of new contracts signed?
Sure Hughes interest as partner will simply be transferred to a blind trust until his conflict of interest role (GM) ends, upon which time he simply goes back to partner.

Happens all the time in politics & business

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Round 1 was so-called because according to NHL procedures permission to talk to employed candidates lasts only for two weeks. So all those under contract with another club had to be formally met within a narrow-ish window.

I told you, bro. Just listen to me, your life will be simpler.

Reactions: salbutera

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That’s interesting. We know the new GM will be the successor of Jeff Gorton once he has completed his mission impossible, but the new AGM to eventually replace the new GM when he bolts is also a high priority?! We’re not talking about a long tenured GM like Bergy was?

It is.
One of the reasons why Bergevin was here so long is possibly the lack of adequate replacement.

(Concretely, it just means bringing the likes of Marc Denis and Emilie Castonguay to the fold)

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
In retrospect, when Geoff Molson decided that both the GM and head coach had to be bilingual, was he seeking two people who:

1. spoke English and passable French like Bob Gainey?

2. spoke passable English and a Francophone like Dominique Ducharme?
Spoke both languages fluently like me. :naughty:

Reactions: Gyfu

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Hughes is brought in, we are truly in a different era of the habs org. Gorton-Hughes...that's two real big outsiders. Gorton for the fact that he has no ties to the city or team and Hughes for the fact that he's not a former player, but an agent.

Of course it remains to be seen who they hire as coach, but if Hughes is brought in, I'm truly excited to see where the direction of this team will go.

Of course, it could go spectacularly bad, but I'm hoping for a clean break from tradition, in terms of history, team building philosophy and style of play.

The nod to the greats, building from the net out, bringing in grinders, that all needs to end.

After that disaster of the Bergevin regime, even on the worst luck, a Hughes-Gorton tandem would never reach such depths (“spectacularly bad”). That’s not even a contingency I could reasonably entertain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad