Prospect Info: Biggest Prospect Bust Post 2006

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wondering who you guys think is the biggest prospect bust since the 2006 draft, I tried to keep it above 3rd roundish, but added some 4ths in there.

Notes
- I did not add Hishon because he has some serious talent, but has met some unfortunate circumstances.
- I added 4th round pick Nermark, because everyone here thought it was a solid pick and had some good hype before the draft
- I added 4th round pick Silas, because we essentially gave up two picks to get him.

Last edited:

member 116861

Good thing you said post 2006 or else the unanimous answer would have been EJ.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs haven't really had one.

Some of the second rounders (Cann, Cohen, Gaunce) haven't developed that well, but you're not going to bat 1.000 with second rounders. Hishon developed well before his hockey life turned into an injury nightmare.

Stoa is probably the biggest disappointment in the last ten years.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Some of the second rounders (Cann, Cohen, Gaunce) haven't developed that well, but you're not going to bat 1.000 with second rounders. Hishon developed well before his hockey life turned into an injury nightmare.

As you say Freudian, if you want to stay competitive for long periods of time, you need solid drafting like the Blackhawks, Sharks, Bruins, and Blues. With Pracey our 2nd rounders and beyond have been pretty solid, but when we had that old guy who retired after the 2007 or 2008 draft, we had some of the biggest fail 2nd rounders I have ever seen. I mean you can look beyond 2006 and see how many 2nd round busts we had with mentioning Stoa as you did.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Nigel Williams and it isn't even close. He was supposed to be one of the next big things in hockey. I remember some people had him as the second best defensemen in the draft and saying he might actually have one of the biggest upsides in the draft. There was one mock draft that I saw back then that had him at 11th, I thought he was going to be a steal at 51... boy was I ever wrong. :laugh:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I went with Burki, I was never big on Nigel Williams or Cohen. Burki I thought was for sure going to be a 2nd line winger for the Avs. Now he is in the Swiss A league and is an average player at best there.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm starting to suspect Nermark was Avs throwing their Euro scouts a bone, to acknowledge they exist.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Nigel Williams and it isn't even close. He was supposed to be one of the next big things in hockey. I remember some people had him as the second best defensemen in the draft and saying he might actually have one of the biggest upsides in the draft. There was one mock draft that I saw back then that had him at 11th, I thought he was going to be a steal at 51... boy was I ever wrong. :laugh:

I don't really remember the Williams hype except that he was actually a solid player in juniors. Remember we traded him not because of talent, but because of his ass personality.

IMO the two players who had the biggest hype I have ever witnessed for the Avs were Delmas and Stoa.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't really remember the Williams hype except that he was actually a solid player in juniors. Remember we traded him not because of talent, but because of his ass personality.

IMO the two players who had the biggest hype I have ever witnessed for the Avs were Delmas and Stoa.

It was almost all pre-draft hype. James Mirtle had him in his top 10 IIRC, and almost all mock drafts had him in the top 20 (most were around 14-17). Some stories came out after the draft around the hockey people that I know that he interviewed very, very poorly and that killed his stock. This was a typical PL pick in the fact that he was willing to overlook a lot and try to get the pure talent (which Williams had in droves).

I remember seeing it as basically another 1st round pick at 51. :laugh:

I remember the Delmas hype train was pretty strong. I hated that pick from the beginning. Using a 2nd round pick on a 1B starter (with very average numbers) in Lewiston just never sat well with me.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It was almost all pre-draft hype. James Mirtle had him in his top 10 IIRC, and almost all mock drafts had him in the top 20 (most were around 14-17). Some stories came out after the draft around the hockey people that I know that he interviewed very, very poorly and that killed his stock. This was a typical PL pick in the fact that he was willing to overlook a lot and try to get the pure talent (which Williams had in droves).

I remember seeing it as basically another 1st round pick at 51. :laugh:

I remember the Delmas hype train was pretty strong. I hated that pick from the beginning. Using a 2nd round pick on a 1B starter (with very average numbers) in Lewiston just never sat well with me.

Especially trading Brad Richardson who was always a solid 3rd line player.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

Stoa or Wolski.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
No one on the list.

Stoa in terms of my expectations, though I know that was 05.

I don't think that injuries can be considered a bust though to me Hishon was the worst pick. There were a lot of good players picked in that range who were safer picks.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Joey Hishon.

Don't care if he isn't an option.

Agreed. Not sure why he's omitted due to not staying healthy. He was a first round pick and was dominating the OHL before the injury. He isn't playing hockey now. That's a massive, massive bust.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Agreed. Not sure why he's omitted due to not staying healthy. He was a first round pick and was dominating the OHL before the injury. He isn't playing hockey now. That's a massive, massive bust.

Yup.

Ask the Islanders who their biggest bust is. Injuries shouldn't get you a free pass, even if you perform well outside of injury.

To me, getting an injury is just as unlucky of an event as getting drafted by a team that doesn't fit your style or your development placed in the hands of people like Joe Sacco, Tony Granato, and some of the other not so bright figures that have passed through this town.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I don't consider injury problems as a bust because it was an outside influence compared to his actual hockey talent. To me bust is someone who had all the hype and talent to succeed and make millions a year, but were never cut out for the NHL.

Someone like Blackburn isn't a bust
Someone like Stefan is a bust

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I don't consider injury problems as a bust because it was an outside influence compared to his actual hockey talent. To me bust is someone who had all the hype and talent to succeed and make millions a year, but were never cut out for the NHL.

Someone like Blackburn isn't a bust
Someone like Stefan is a bust

didn't stefan have injury problems too?

not that bad they would have ended his career abruptly but ones that hurt this development and play?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It sounds like we have differing interpretation of bust and some use it more to mean disappointment in a general sense and some define it as not having talent/drive to turn into a good hockey player.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Hishon

Other; Williams. Everyone expected him to be very good defenseman, but I guess he was more like boom or bust prospect and he became bust, so no biggie.

Huis Clos*

No one on the list.

Stoa in terms of my expectations, though I know that was 05.

I don't think that injuries can be considered a bust though to me Hishon was the worst pick. There were a lot of good players picked in that range who were safer picks.

Scouts can now determine when players are going to take elbows in the ear?

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
To me, getting an injury is just as unlucky of an event as getting drafted by a team that doesn't fit your style or your development placed in the hands of people like Joe Sacco, Tony Granato, and some of the other not so bright figures that have passed through this town.

I'm not going to go out of my way to praise Sacco, but one thing he definitely did well in Colorado was develop prospects. Duchene, ROR, Stewart, Jones, Yip, Wilson, Landeskog, Elliott, Barrie, Olver only rarely played below expectations, with most of them well exceeding expectations.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
For me it was a tie between Delmas and Gaunce. Went with Gaunce as I got my hopes up more with him, but Delmas was hyped more in my opinion. Boy was that draft terrible, all we have to remember it by is Olver iirc.

What's funny is people say the Avs are great with 2nds and then we put up a list of terrible 2nds.

Last edited:

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Went with Cohen. Remember how disappointed I was when we traded him but it actually seems it was the right move (although the return was Matt friggin Hunwick).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad