Biggest Chokers Showdown: Toronto Maple Leafs VS San Jose Sharks

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
There were at least a few years during the Thornton era where the Sharks went into the playoffs as a presumptive favorite for the cup.

Of this whole Toronto cycle of failure, the only two times they had legit path were 2019 (if they get through Boston they go to the finals in their place and should beat St. Louis), and probably 2021 with the Canadian division setting them up for an easy path to the semifinals. Otherwise they always had Tampa, Washington, or Boston in their way.

The canadian division also had to go through Vegas, and then arguably the best assembled team in the cap era in Tampa. Certainly not an easy ticket, when taking it all in account.

As for the question, I think maybe the more apt comparison for the new version of the Sharks could be the Carolina Hurricanes.

The leafs are perennial 1st round exiters and we are 8 years into this matthews window. I don't know if I can find an appropriate comparison in history but it would have to be an underachiever that just kept losing in the first round over and over for several years in a row.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I agree the current Team over the last number of years, as an organization, deserves a choker label. But context is important. The SJS team noted were actually considered contenders. Beside about a dozen Leafs fans on this board (the ego, chip on the shoulder type), a few homer media folks, and some fans that don't actually watch hockey, I'm not sure this team has actually been considered a serious contender for the last few years. So with actual expectations considered, I still need to go with the Marleau / Thornton era Sharks.
Yea. Theyvwere a better team than the keafs. choked at going all thexway and winning a cup.
Leafs only choked at winning two rounds

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
It’s really hard to top a reverse sweep.

That 1997 draft is kind of unique when you think about it. The top 5 picks were Thornton, Marleau, Jokinen, Luongo, and Brewer. Two HOFers, one guy who broke the games played record, and two others with over 1000 games played. Combined for zero Stanley Cups.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Toronto AINEC

At least San Jose won rounds
Thinking 'No team has done less with more' during the TML-Bos series. They did show some fight towards the end of that series which was surprising and may serve them well going forward if they find a way to get a quality Goaltender.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I mean. Is Steve Yzerman considered a choker? He didn't achieve much until being way older than Matthews is right now.

Point being, let's wait until their careers are over first.
Did Steve Yzerman play for a perennial cup contender,stastically speaking? Leafs have finished top third in the league every season since 17-18. In Yzermans time that would have been a top 7 team in the league

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Aside from the Montreal series when have the Leafs ever been a favourite?

According to Hfboards they should be swept every series by whoever plays them.

I'll bypass the hyperbole in your last sentence, but let's flip the tables and ask the question of when the leafs were clear underdogs in a series? Besides the loss against the capitals, I don't think anyone would have considered it to be a huge upset if they had won any other series that they have played in this matthews era.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
The leafs are not the 60-75 point kings or jets going against the Oilers. They have had between 45-54 wins(or equivalent pace) in every season except 16-17.

Saying 'we have never been the favorites' is pure cope. Their problem is they overpay 3 complete loser rich kids who have never cared about winning. Nylander might be overpaid too but he performs relative to his skill level.

They won't win anything with this core, they were lucky to get a worn out Tampa last year or they would have lost in the first round again.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
SJ and WSH were pretty much the same before WSH finally won a cup, if not we would talk about WSH here. At least SJ would win a few rounds before getting knocked out of the playoffs. First round is the Stanley cup of the Leafs

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
For single series choke? San Jose. Overall? Toronto and it's not particularly close. San Jose actually reached a final.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The Thornton/Marleau era Sharks are closer to the current Hurricanes or Oilers than they are the Leafs.

Reactions: Chinaski89

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The part where a Canadian team "had a real shot" is the part you didn't read. Or understand. Or both.
There is no „shot at winning the Stanley Cup“ that is more „real“ than actually BEING in the Stanley Cup finals. See if you can understand this highly exotic concept.

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
The Joe Thornton/Patrick Marleau San Jose Sharks are widely known as one of, if not, the biggest choking cores in NHL history, but are they any worse than the current Mitch Marner/Auston Matthews Maple Leafs core? The current Leafs have won 1 playoff series in 8 years whereas the Sharks actually managed to get past the first round a few times and even made it to the SC Finals.

The results speak for themselves, this current Leaf core has performed even worse than the Sharks in the post-season which is flabbergasting considering all the talent they have on the team.
Sharks never had a Nylander. Maybe Heatley for a couple years, but that’s it.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Wasn’t Jumbo around 36 when the Sharks finally made the final? Lot of runway left for these Leafs (or at least Matthews) before you can declare this race run
Not really. You are a choker until you are not.

goflyakite

Apr 29, 2011
Ontario
people who still say this are f***ing clueless.

The Sharks lost to teams equal or better than them in the standings every year except 2009, when Anaheim pulled a VGK/Mark Stone special with Teemu Selanne before the start of that series. Other than that they performed as well or better than anybody could have reasonably expected.
Not that I ever bought into it (as Thornton was my favourite player), but gonna be honest I never even knew this. Thank you for informing me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad