Confirmed with Link: Big Z (Zdeno Chara) signed to 1 year, $795,000 deal

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I am hopeful too, but I have always been more of a prove it kind of fan when it comes to prospects. Samsonov is at the sink or swim point. We have seen that in managed back up goalie games he is an overmatch and we found that last year he wasnt ready for starting goalie games. That should come with experience.

I am concerned about both McMichael and Fehervary. The hype here had McMichael on the 2nd line pushing Vrana and now it looks like he is marginal for taxi squad duty. I dont get the treatment of Fehervary at all.

Yea, it seems like this bunch is better than the Pens bunch but the Pens seem to get legit contributions from young players out of nowhere and the Caps dont.

Lol, no it didn't, anyone penciling him in was putting him over Sprong before Sheary was around on line 3. Why do you do some of the things you do?

And why do their young players contribute out of nowhere? Because they get thrown to the wolves when Pens players get hurt, nobody gets the choice to hold them back because they haven't played in enough games yet, and they learn on the job.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
what the f*** are starting goalie and backup goalie games and how are they different?

Back up goalie game. Front end of a back to back on the road in Ottawa. Starting goalie game. Saturday afternoon on national tv against the Penguins. Starting goalie games. 3 games in one week. All against playoff rivals.

You know this.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lol, no it didn't, anyone penciling him in was putting him over Sprong before Sheary was around on line 3. Why do you do some of the things you do?

And why do their young players contribute out of nowhere? Because they get thrown to the wolves when Pens players get hurt, nobody gets the choice to hold them back because they haven't played in enough games yet, and they learn on the job.

yea, the Caps have been too healthy these recent years. its true that the Pens get heavy damage from injuries and are forced to try things. All I was saying is that comparing the Caps kids and the Pens kids and saying the Caps kids are better doesnt account for the track record. Thats all.

And yea. McMichael over Sprong seems an easy suggestion. What does getting Sheary say about Sprong or McMichael? My take is that a lot of this including Fehervary is dealing with the weird roster and callup situation they have to deal with.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Sadly this is where we are with Sammy. Not a preferred scenario, but certainly no one's fault. Just shitty luck for the team and especially Hank.

What's funny about Tex's concern more broadly though is that for years, the Caps did the same thing and guys sank or swam... And everyone complained that the org didn't develop guys the right way. Now we're patient and slow with our kids and that's suddenly a harbinger of doom.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
Yup. Thats where I got that from. Thanks. Meanwhile, I have been interested to see that NHL Network had Chara on a 2nd pair with Orlov on the right and no non Caps media has Jensen in the lineup at all. NHLN had the Caps 3rd pair as Siegenthaler and TVR
Wow. That’s a total shock. I definitely was not expecting either of those scenarios. I honestly can’t see it. A) because of what we discussed with McCarthy having a strong preference for righty - lefty defensive pairs and B) because it seems clear that Shultz was handpicked (and for a decent chunk of change) just months ago to play on the second pair. I mean, if he struggles and Laviolette decides to give someone else a shot eventually, sure, that makes more sense, but to start the season that way seems a bit odd to me given how and why they constructed the roster this way.

I also feel like Jensen is a nice potential complement to Chara with his speed and his upward trending game last season. He was also a valuable PK presence and I could see him and Chara being the first D pairing on the PK in the regular season at least. Then again, there are a lot of variables and a lot of defensemen and Laviolette has made a point of emphasizing a new start for everyone and open roster battles. Plus, with COVID, and a packed schedule, who knows who will be healthy. I guess a lot could change pretty fast in the next month or two. All the more reason for the Caps to have such great depth.

Reactions: Capagonia

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I dont have unrealistic expectations for McMichael. I hope he can take up Eller's role when he is done with it. I just dont see a replacement for Backy or Kuzy there.

As to Fehervary, I am fully support that defense is a part of hockey that places a premium on experience. The young defensemen that make an impact are highly offensively skilled players. Fehervary is a defender. He needs the time. That said, I see the Caps make room for him last season and even skate him up the lineup. To go from there to 10th on the depth chart concerns me. I didnt have unrealistic expectations of him, but thought he was on the team this season. Instead he is so far away that he couldnt hit it with a rock.

I am not trusting in young players. Who has been the last caps young player to really succeed? Vrana is on the hotseat after two bad playoffs and Burakovsky failed. Siegenthaler just got cut out. I am hopeful but not counting my chicks

if you don’t have unrealistic expectations of McMichael then why are you “worried” about a 19 yr old not looking like a Backstrom or Kuzy replacement (at 19)?

Caps are trying to win now. Unfortunately when additional regular NHLers get acquired, guys like Siege (at least on paper) or Fever get bumped down. They’re victims of numbers but the games still need to be played. Roster spots are up for grabs and guys will be in and out of the lineup. I just don’t see any point for concern right now.

I feel like the cupboards finally have some inventory and it’s refreshing as hell not to have to look at TV dinners beyond your top-12/top-6.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
I would be shocked to find Chara doing anything other than playing Orpik's role. 3rd pair. 1st pk.
I agree. Thats a big role. Some people seem to think that Chara is going to be a 8 mim per game fill in. I expect he will have a major role on this team and play full season barring any injuries. In his own words from the interviews, he is looking to have a big role on the Caps and prove that he can still handle the big responsibilities. No way he sings here if management tells him he would be rotating between the other 3 D.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wow. That’s a total shock. I definitely was not expecting either of those scenarios. I honestly can’t see it. A) because of what we discussed with McCarthy having a strong preference for righty - lefty defensive pairs and B) because it seems clear that Shultz was handpicked (and for a decent chunk of change) just months ago to play on the second pair. I mean, if he struggles and Laviolette decides to give someone else a shot eventually, sure, that makes more sense, but to start the season that way seems a bit odd to me given how and why they constructed the roster this way.

I also feel like Jensen is a nice potential complement to Chara with his speed and his upward trending game last season. He was also a valuable PK presence and I could see him and Chara being the first D pairing on the PK in the regular season at least. Then again, there are a lot of variables and a lot of defensemen and Laviolette has made a point of emphasizing a new start for everyone and open roster battles. Plus, with COVID, and a packed schedule, who knows who will be healthy. I guess a lot could change pretty fast in the next month or two. All the more reason for the Caps to have such great depth.

I feel like those media sources are out of touch of sorts.

Does anyone here have Jensen not playing? To the OP, I’d look for better media resources lol...;)

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I agree. Thats a big role. Some people seem to think that Chara is going to be a 8 mim per game fill in. I expect he will have a major role on this team and play full season barring any injuries. In his own words from the interviews, he is looking to have a big role on the Caps and prove that he can still handle the big responsibilities. No way he sings here if management tells him he would be rotating between the other 3 D.

I’ll wager 18+ mins a game on good nights (assuming primarily 3rd pair role). Primary PK, lead protection time...going to be very interesting.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Chara can still shoot. Big. Having him adds the possibility of a left shot pp2 with Orlov and Chara and Vrana as the triggers. Both Orlov and Chara are effective shooting a one timer

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Chara can still shoot. Big. Having him adds the possibility of a left shot pp2 with Orlov and Chara and Vrana as the triggers. Both Orlov and Chara are effective shooting a one timer
I dont know chara isn’t really know for his shot

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
I feel like those media sources are out of touch of sorts.

Does anyone here have Jensen not playing? To the OP, I’d look for better media resources lol...;)
I can’t disagree. I mean, if the Caps are that down on Jensen at this point, then I would just trade him before his value becomes that much lower by them benching him to start the season. Paying 2.5 million AAV for the next three seasons for a player you want to bench to start the season doesn’t seem particularly sustainable.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I just don’t see any point for concern right now.
Yeah, me neither. The only area I might have some concern with is if there's not strong communication going on regarding what they need to improve upon but, like you said, they're a win now team. It takes a special talent to just waltz in and fit. Of course MacLellan is going to make moves that provide more reliability and experience when they're freely available. Fehervary being mentored by Chara can do nothing but good for him. That's way more valuable than sending him to Hershey to play games IMO. Similarly, McMichael should only benefit by being around the team more once again, practising, training and generally preparing with them. He's referenced Backstrom in somewhat similar terms.

It's a process. These aren't future All-Stars most likely. They don't need to be and. That level of talent in a draft pick is probably not in the fold until they're washed and picking in the lottery again. The days of being able to snag Carlsons & Kuznetsovs in the back half of the first round was extremely fortunate. We don't really know Laviolette's tendencies when it comes to on the job training but in a compacted season where he wants to hit the ground running of course it's preferable to have a totally low maintenance group to get that immediate buy-in minus any glaring weak links. The big question will be in goal and just how ready Samsonov is take over. That's a far more crucial piece than however McMichael & Fehervary ultimately pan out (certainly in the near-term anyway).

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Yeah, me neither. The only area I might have some concern with is if there's not strong communication going on regarding what they need to improve upon but, like you said, they're a win now team. It takes a special talent to just waltz in and fit. Of course MacLellan is going to make moves that provide more reliability and experience when they're freely available. Fehervary being mentored by Chara can do nothing but good for him. That's way more valuable than sending him to Hershey to play games IMO. Similarly, McMichael should only benefit by being around the team more once again, practising, training and generally preparing with them. He's referenced Backstrom in somewhat similar terms.

It's a process. These aren't future All-Stars most likely. They don't need to be and. That level of talent in a draft pick is probably not in the fold until they're washed and picking in the lottery again. The days of being able to snag Carlsons & Kuznetsovs in the back half of the first round was extremely fortunate. We don't really know Laviolette's tendencies when it comes to on the job training but in a compacted season where he wants to hit the ground running of course it's preferable to have a totally low maintenance group to get that immediate buy-in minus any glaring weak links. The big question will be in goal and just how ready Samsonov is take over. That's a far more crucial piece than however McMichael & Fehervary ultimately pan out (certainly in the near-term anyway).
what do you think mcmichael and fehervary will be?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
what do you think mcmichael and fehervary will be?
Middle of the lineup contributors, although I'm a little less sure of that with Fehervary from an offensive standpoint. Vrana didn't join the Caps until his third post-draft season (only a quarter of the season at that). McMichael should be ready for that. Fehervary wasn't all that likely to make the team, despite any wishful designs last season. While they like his skating and maturity there wasn't an obvious role for him beyond Laviolette's general up-tempo style. He could have competed with Siegenthaler but probably lacks some of the strength to play that PKing role just yet. Maybe it would be better at some points of the season for him to play in the AHL and try to dominate all facets while biding his time. We'll see if they're comfortable with that plan depending on health, the schedule, etc.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
yea, the Caps have been too healthy these recent years. its true that the Pens get heavy damage from injuries and are forced to try things. All I was saying is that comparing the Caps kids and the Pens kids and saying the Caps kids are better doesnt account for the track record. Thats all.

And yea. McMichael over Sprong seems an easy suggestion. What does getting Sheary say about Sprong or McMichael? My take is that a lot of this including Fehervary is dealing with the weird roster and callup situation they have to deal with.

it says neither is proven at this level, so they want as many options as possible.

same as adding Chara and TVR for Jensen and Siegenthaler.

MOAR is better.

at this pace? I expect another vet F on a PTO, and perhaps even another G.

I’m not kidding.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I can’t disagree. I mean, if the Caps are that down on Jensen at this point, then I would just trade him before his value becomes that much lower by them benching him to start the season. Paying 2.5 million AAV for the next three seasons for a player you want to bench to start the season doesn’t seem particularly sustainable.
I don’t think they are down on Jensen. I think they wanted more depth, and this COVID year has created opportunities that one wouldn’t usually expect.

So they are taking advantage of it.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
it says neither is proven at this level, so they want as many options as possible.

MOAR is better.

I’m not kidding.
Ding ding.

Using what things "look like" from other seasons to try to get a read on this one seems like it's going to lead you to some false conclusions as often as not. When the Caps were snapping up FA defensemen it looked like, in any other year, something would have to give and someone was moving out. Now we're sitting with 8-9 and nobody seems like they're budging.

I'm not certain that any move means anything specific at this point. It's "been obvious" what the Caps plan on defense is to some people here for a while now but they were just as surprised as everyone else when Chara showed up.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Middle of the lineup contributors, although I'm a little less sure of that with Fehervary from an offensive standpoint. Vrana didn't join the Caps until his third post-draft season (only a quarter of the season at that). McMichael should be ready for that. Fehervary wasn't all that likely to make the team, despite any wishful designs last season. While they like his skating and maturity there wasn't an obvious role for him beyond Laviolette's general up-tempo style. He could have competed with Siegenthaler but probably lacks some of the strength to play that PKing role just yet. Maybe it would be better at some points of the season for him to play in the AHL and try to dominate all facets while biding his time. We'll see if they're comfortable with that plan depending on health, the schedule, etc.
interesting. maybe personally im overrating them but who knows

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

I’m not kidding.
They put out the camp list last night. While it's subject to change--McMichael should be added when he's available--there weren't any PTOs other than Anderson.

They're probably done adding other than maybe if Sprong, Anderson or some of their other fringe options don't impress then they could look to waivers if some appealing league minimum options become available. They should also have some trade options should they be comfortable sacrificing some active roster depth for futures or perhaps value waiver-exempt taxi squad options. Something like Carr & Pinho with McMichael as the taxi squad options at forward could certainly stand to be improved.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

MOAR is better.

I’m not kidding.

The forwards are different than the defensemen. If both McMichael and Sprong were proven, they would still want Sheary because just a small COVID outbreak can wipe out a group of players of the same position.

Chara is....Chara. They had a chance to bring in Chara after clearly missing the departed Orpik. He is on the team regardless. I will be surprised if TVR replaces Jensen in the 6. I again feel like they are loading up with bodies because of COVID and the quarantine required to call up from Hershey and the taxi squad availability. Not because they dont like their players on defense

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
They put out the camp list last night. While it's subject to change--McMichael should be added when he's available--there weren't any PTOs other than Anderson.

They're probably done adding other than maybe if Sprong, Anderson or some of their other fringe options don't impress then they could look to waivers if some appealing league minimum options become available. They should also have some trade options should they be comfortable sacrificing some active roster depth for futures or perhaps value waiver-exempt taxi squad options. Something like Carr & Pinho with McMichael as the taxi squad options at forward could certainly stand to be improved.
I haven’t seen the FA list, but I believe there are still a lot of veteran players that haven’t even signed a PTO. So I still think they will add.

I’d wager injuries will happen as well. The spot that looks most vulnerable is G.

The F’s are deep enough, but you can certainly see the cut off point for who should make it and who won’t. It’s pretty clear.

That said, the D delineation line is even more stark. Top 10 easily, with 2 (LuJo and Shilling) as obvious AHL players. Fever will play in Hershey, and I’d wager LaDue is taxi squad, with the other 8 on the 23man roster. They won’t be able to bank space as the LTIR is allowing a lot of these guys to be on the 23.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad