News Article: Big Read: Evander Kane Problem Child

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
The fault lay not with Kane's character but with fan's conception of what a Canadian hockey player ought to be, and the media, PR consultants play that fictional hero persona out in high definition hoopla. Kane the hockey player in our conceptual imagination ought to embody the virtuous Canadian values such as being a: team player, hard worker, taking one for the team, wakes up early to practice, drinks beer, makes the pp goal, eats meat and potatoes fixes the toilet with the plumber duck tapes the antenna and donates a puck to Billy in the hospital..you get the picture. Kane's not like that but most hockey players aren't either

Yep. For sure. He had his faults, but I never really had any time for all the winging about what he posted or didn't say. I think a lot of it was trolling anyways. I hoped he could eventually mature, grow his game, and enjoy being a Jet, and equally some Jets fans could learn to appreciate that not all early 20-something Hockey players will grow the same way. In the meantime, as long as he followed the plan on the ice and played hard, I was happy with Kane, and it seemed as though he generally did just that. For all the times I rolled my eyes at some of his shot selections, or lack of use of his teammates, I was never unhappy to see him on the ice for the Jets.

I'll have no hate for the guy when he comes to town next year... I could see him tweeting something leading up to the game to change that perspective though. :laugh:

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
Yeah, East Vancouver is a pretty large area and it's NOT all the Downtown East Side/East Hastings strip.

It would be like saying all of Winnipeg north of Portage is just like Ellis.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Kane is definitely getting booed when he comes back to the mts centre.

Book it.

He will get booed.

I won't be one of the fans that booes him though.

Life is too short, he earned his pay, never took a shift off, onward and upward.

DesertHombre

Oct 10, 2013
I'll predict Evander Kane and Blake Wheeler go toe to toe in a scrap when Evander faces his old team next season. That would add some drama and intrigue to the situation.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Sounds like his agent has his PR firm is in full rebuild mode after what he has done to his reputation over the last while.... This is a fluff piece and far from real reporting.

I agree.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I don't miss Kane in the least, was asking for him to traded since the summer. Hmmm trades him and Bogo for Staff and Myers, what you know we're better team. Shocker...

Loving Myers

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Loved Kane, but this is clearly PR

I don't get how it matters on this one. Not only talking to you obviously ;)

It's not like we are asking ourselves if we should go and buy one of those Evander Kanes and now have are supposed to come to an opinion based on outsider information.

But I for one never knew that he was of humble upbringing. I actually thought it would have been the other way around: Parents both former athletes, family from Vancouver (all I know is that Vancouver is expensive as hell). Things like that. It seemed to make "sense" on top of it because of his "cockiness".

I never knew his father started working with him on rinks before he actually started to play hockey for a peewee club. I didn't knew that Evander Kane had to live in a room with his two younger sisters and payed for the families house during his rookie season. I never knew the "cocktail"-story Thorburn told the author, which obviously isn't PR at all :laugh:

It doesn't matter if it is true that his father never used a whistle or he started at the age of 5 instead of 4 as mentioned because it reads better. Of course this has PR written over a lot of sentences in that article but people think bad enough about Evander Kane already, why not publish something about him that people could ACTUALLY could like. No person is as good as they seem to be in their best moments and no person is as bad as they seem to be in their worst.

And I'm certainly NOT saying all those things because I'm a naive media slave that believes everything he's reading or watching..... as a studied science journalist.

We all have our own opinion about Evander Kane - this won't change it and nobody said it was supposed to do so.

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
I personally didn't care about what he did outside the rink. He's got money and he is definitely free to choose what he does with it. If I had millions, I will do whatever I want with the money.

However, I am glad to see Kane the hockey player gone. I loved his hitting but that is pretty much where it stops. His hockey IQ was terrible (watching what Drew Stafford does with the puck shows how bad Kane was with the puck). Heck even as a goal scorer he never finds the soft spots a true goal scorer will find in front of the net - so I still have my doubts if McDavid can turn him into a 40 goal scorer.

Gosh I cannot remember the last time the Jets took a shot, missed the net and resulted in the other team having an odd man rush the other way. It used to happen quite a bit with him.

Kane really reminds me of some players from my kids hockey games. Some kids standout and dominate due to their skating ability and score buckets of goals in the league games. Then fast forward a couple of years, those same kids are barely visible anymore - the other kids have worked on their all round game and improved while the fast kids just kept relying on their skating and never developed anything else.

jggmalloy

Tobi-Wan Kenobi
Oct 30, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
jetsnation.ca
The fact that Evander Kane is no longer in Winnipeg but is still such a hot and negative topic proves that he was subject to hatred. Pure hatred.

"HAHAHAHA Kane's in Buffalo!

Good luck Bogosian."

They wanted him gone, he went, and it's as if he's still here. "He was so cocky." "He took a picture with his money again." "He had no class." Like I, you or anyone should care. Richards and Carter have no class and it doesn't matter, they're champions at almost every level. Like someone said previously, he gave it his all every shift. That's all Evander Kane ever owed to this city. What he did with his money, his personal life or anything else - other than maybe murder - it shouldn't concern us.

Kane didn't do any harm to anyone here. Yet, now that he's gone, he's still being talked about negatively.

I'm not one for using the word "haters," but, when Evander Kane uses it, it's granted - he has a few of them.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I had no problem with Kane tweeting about his lifestyle or the pics with money or what he had shaved into his hair. What I did have a problem with was when he did things like favouring the tweet that had him rumoured to be going to Philadelphia or in the interview when he was asked point blank about wanting to stay in Winnipeg and the answer he gave did not dispel anything and only made it muckier. He seemed to be playing a game that created a circus around those very topics.

I liked the effort he gave on the ice but was not always happy with his style of play offensively but sure loved his physical play and that he was a demon on the forecheck, etc.

In the end there were some things I liked about Kane and some things I didn't.
When he comes back to Winnipeg I would not even consider booing him and I would hope he doesn't get booed but he probably will.

This was an article in Sportsnet magazine so it was most certainly a fluff piece. Good article though in my opinion. I have the magazine as I was given a subscription and it has been pretty much the only article that featured the Winnipeg Jets I have seen.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Not a hater ... more of a watcher ... and the "he gave it all his every shift" mantra conveniently papers over several bouts of inconsistency punctuated by wincing-a lot-skating-hard-sore-wrist-Kane in the last 1.5 years or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad