News Article: Big Read: Evander Kane Problem Child

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I took a look into the Around the League and OT thread but couldn't find it anywhere so I made a new thread.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/evander-kane-problem-child/

Pretty interesting read.

(...)

KANE HAS BEEN called a lot of things. Cocky. Selfish. A jerk. In hockey circles, “distraction†is the popular term. But that’s not how teammates characterize him. In December, Scheifele was delivering straight-faced hockey talk until the “#pushups†photo came up. “He got a little ribbing for it,†Scheifele said, grinning. Thorburn brought up the time Kane “carved†the acronym for “Young Money Cash Money Billionaires,†into his hair. (Thorburn thought it said “YMCA†at first.) And the guys in the room had recently given Kane a new nickname: “Cocktails,†the origins of which Kane called a “long, long story.†Thorburn got into it: “We’ll say, ‘Let’s go for drinks or for a beer,’ and he’ll always use the term ‘cocktails.’ ‘Let’s go out for a cocktail.’ And it’s just likeâ€â€”Thorburn paused to laugh—“you only hear that in movies, you know? He’s trying to be fancy and play along with his persona. We shut that down pretty quickly.â€

It all seemed like playful mocking. And it continued even after he was gone. In February, while Kane was calling his situation with the Jets “unique†and welcoming a “fresh start†in Buffalo, his former team was making light of the track suit incident. When coach Paul Maurice showed up to a scrum without a suit jacket on, he told reporters that despite his dress code violation, “My clothes aren’t wet.†Of course, only the guys in that room know the inner workings of Kane’s relationship with his teammates and how it may have changed after the shower episode and the healthy scratch. Zach Bogosian, dealt with Kane to Buffalo, refers to it as “the incident,†and that’s about all he’ll say. This is as far as Kane goes with the details: “Was I wearing a track suit?†he said at his first press conference as a Sabre. “No.†Then he laughed.

Fair or not, fans associate that wet track suit and those stacks of money with Kane. But if you talk to friends and teammates, at least half the picture’s not accurate. In December, Thorburn laughed when asked whether the money pictures posted to Instagram are a good representation of who Evander Kane is. “No, that’s not who Kaner is,â he said. “He’s a very caring guy, a good friend to have. But he does wear his flashy suits, his sunglasses, his headphones. He puts on a show.â€

(...)

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I'm pretty sure there still are a lot of people that like to read this article on THIS board + quotes from Thorburn and lines about Maurice.

'edit because another post was deleted

Last edited:

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Sounds like his agent has his PR firm is in full rebuild mode after what he has done to his reputation over the last while.... This is a fluff piece and far from real reporting.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I wonder how much time it will take before people stop being pissed about Kane. Seriously. Just silly. Actually pretty much what they say about him.

Yeah, I don't get it.

He was immature, but he played his heart out for us every single game.

I have no complaints about what Kane did in his time here.
I think we made a good move shipping him out, and I think that his time here had run out, but I'm not going to pretend I didn't like him as a player.

I loved the way he played the game for the Jets.
Wasn't the brightest hockey player, but did what he could with that limitation to the best of his ability.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Yeah, I don't get it.

I think we made a good move shipping him out, and I think that his time here had run out, but I'm not going to pretend I didn't like him as a player.

Wasn't the brightest hockey player, but did what he could with that limitation to the best of his ability.

Starting next season, I'm gonna watch every Sabres game until our Jets games start because of time zones. Kane + Bogosian + a lot of interesting young talent... what's not to like.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Sounds like his agent has his PR firm is in full rebuild mode after what he has done to his reputation over the last while.... This is a fluff piece and far from real reporting.

And if it is mostly true, think the damage that has been done or could have been done without Chevy's ability to fix it.

Got this off of wikipedia:

"East Vancouver has been the first home for many non-British immigrants since the 1880s. Historically, it was also a more affordable area and traditionally the home for many lower-income working class."

checks out so far.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Thanks for posting.

entertaining read. hope he does well in Buffalo!

still giddy about how good this trade worked out for us.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
The fault lay not with Kane's character but with fan's conception of what a Canadian hockey player ought to be, and the media, PR consultants play that fictional hero persona out in high definition hoopla. Kane the hockey player in our conceptual imagination ought to embody the virtuous Canadian values such as being a: team player, hard worker, taking one for the team, wakes up early to practice, drinks beer, makes the pp goal, eats meat and potatoes fixes the toilet with the plumber duck tapes the antenna and donates a puck to Billy in the hospital..you get the picture. Kane's not like that but most hockey players aren't either

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
Yeah, I don't get it.

Personally, I just simply did not like the distraction he became. After a while it just becomes really annoying to wonder what he'd be in the news for next. I love him as a hockey player, and I have nothing against him personally, but I'm glad he's gone.

I think it's the same for many others.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
And if it is mostly true, think the damage that has been done or could have been done without Chevy's ability to fix it.

"East Vancouver has been the first home for many non-British immigrants since the 1880s. Historically, it was also a more affordable area and traditionally the home for many lower-income working class."

checks out so far.

No offense, but I don't know too many people who have the misconception that East Vancouver is anything but a poor, working-class area of the city. Not exactly a place you would want to visit on the Lower Mainland. The area is notorious for crime, prostitution, hard drug use, and the worst HIV epidemic in Canada.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I still think Kane is going to score 40 or more in the next few years.

Sure hope Armia or Lemieux pan out.

White Out 403*

Maybe he should go on Oprah and cry for being such a whiney baby. A spoiled brat with a terrible attitude. Colour me unimpressed. I hope he scores 10 goals next year and demands a trade to new York or Los Angeles.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

checks out so far.

No offense, but I don't know too many people who have the misconception that East Vancouver is anything but a poor, working-class area of the city. Not exactly a place you would want to visit on the Lower Mainland. The area is notorious for crime, prostitution, hard drug use, and the worst HIV epidemic in Canada.

The article says he grew up in southeast Vancouver, which is not the same as East Vancouver. He could have been as much as 50 or 60 blocks south of East Vancouver. Lots of good neighbourhoods there. In fact there are lots of good neighbourhoods in East Vancouver too, lots of them with views to die for.

It's about a thousand times better than any of the crap the Winnipeg media produced.

Edit: re: East Vancouver. Actually the whole eastern part of Vancouver is classified as East Vancouver. I was associating the high-crime part with the East Hastings area, which is along the northern edge of Vancouver (not to be confused with the separate municipality of North Vancouver) and not representative of East Vancouver as a whole.

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I still think Kane is going to score 40 or more in the next few years.

Sure hope Armia or Lemieux pan out.

Armia has 2 goals in 17 games for St. Johns, does that say goal scorer? Some guys had him pencilled in on the second line for the Jets this season right after the trade despite the fact he couldn't crack the lineup of the worst team in the league!:shakehead:help:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Maybe he should go on Oprah and cry for being such a whiney baby. A spoiled brat with a terrible attitude. Colour me unimpressed. I hope he scores 10 goals next year and demands a trade to new York or Los Angeles.

Pretty sure Kane would entertain offers to play for the expansion LV BlackKnights for free if offered the chance, "cocktails" after the game, a little blackjack, room service a paid date or two....;)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Spot on.

Now that he doesn't have Brownie doin thangs his agent and their firm have to pick up the slack until he gets to Buffalo next fall. Either way water under the bridge so B of L to EK9 I hope things work out for him in Buffalo.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Yeah it's definitely a fluff piece.
Better to release it now while Winnipeg still has a chance in the playoffs.
It seems like most of the Jets are okay with him.
Wish him the best and hope people don't boo him when he returns to the MTS Centre.
If the Jets make the playoffs this season I can't say he wasn't partially responsible.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I've never had a problem with Kane his attitude or the way he acted but this article isn just vomit inducing. Sportsnet is so terrible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad