"Big" name? Who has the best one?

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
So my brother and I were talking the other day and we were trying to decide which Jets player has the name best suited to have "Big" in front of it every time it's mentioned during a game.

Here's what I mean. For our first example, lets use Randy Jones.

"...Big Randy Jones ties up his man along the boards"

Or maybe Ron Hainsey

"...Big Ron Hainsey glances up ice and then saucers the puck to Wheeler"

Or maybe ironically, Tim Stapleton

"...Big Timmy Stapleton carries the puck across the blueline...!!"

Is anyone on my level here? Are you guys picking up what I'm putting down?

There are a couple other options, but I don't think they roll off the tongue as easily as the ones above.

Big Buff is too nicknamey.

Big Zach Bogosian doesn't really work either...Z is not conducive to putting "Big" in front of it.

Big Nik Antropov is suiting, but he's Kazakh and doesn't really suit the ideology of what the "Big" nickname entails.

Anyway, help me out here.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
pancake_bunny.jpg

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I really have no clue what this thread is about but will give it a try.

Big Bogosion rides Upshall hard into the end boards and Upshall is slow getting to his feet.

Big Buff lands a solid right to the head of George Parros and Parros seems unfazed.

Big Blake Wheeler splits the D and goes top shelf on Khabibilin and the Jets win in overtime 3-2.

Big can be used for any player who is actually considered a "Big man"

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I really have no clue what this thread is about but will give it a try.

Big Bogosion rides Upshall hard into the end boards and Upshall is slow getting to his feet.

Big Buff lands a solid right to the head of George Parros and Parros seems unfazed.

Big Blake Wheeler splits the D and goes top shelf on Khabibilin and the Jets win in overtime 3-2.

Big can be used for any player who is actually considered a "Big man"

Big Blake Wheeler's not bad. Big Bogosian doesn't really work.

It's more about the whole "Package" idea of saying his name, along with the personality of the player. It's like how Kelly Moore would always call John Erskine "Big" John Erskine back in the day of when he still did the play by play on CJOB. The guy DOES have to be somewhat big, but it needs to roll along with his name. Some names are just easier to say it with than other.

Big Ron Hainsey has to be the best. Either Big Ron Hainsey or Big Jim Slater, even though Jim's not that big. Jim is just a name that needs to have "Big" in front of it.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
I actually saw a guy last night who had his jersey personalized as "Big Buff" :shakehead

Aerial

Oct 14, 2011
This thread is 100% awesome. I get what you're saying here completely.

Big Ron Hainsey is my #1 pick too. It just flows nicely, followed closely by Big Jim Slater.

This is hilarious.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
This thread is 100% awesome. I get what you're saying here completely.

Big Ron Hainsey is my #1 pick too. It just flows nicely, followed closely by Big Jim Slater.

This is hilarious.

You don't know how important it is to me that someone understands what I mean with this thread. I thought before I clicked "Submit" that "As long as I reach ONE person with this thread, it's worth it".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad