Post-Game Talk: Big Fish

3 Stars

• Total voters

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't think anyone prefers to win this way, and when we say things in the heat of the moment in the GDTs, it's in jest.
You think it's in jest, but in my experience, shooting percentage and the fans' perception of compete level correlates basically 1:1.

Scoring when you don't deserve to is finding a way. Not scoring when you do deserve to is blowing it, and blowing it is not really trying hard enough.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
why is this such a bad explanation lol

there's so many examples of teams with shit loads of talent just not scoring for periods at a time
You mean like how one of the best teams in the league just missed the playoffs last year for absolutely no reason and now everyone is floored that they've won 12 in a row?

Reactions: UnSandvich

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
You think it's in jest, but in my experience, shooting percentage and the fans' perception of compete level correlates basically 1:1.

Scoring when you don't deserve to is finding a way. Not scoring when you do deserve to is blowing it, and blowing it is not really trying hard enough.

Yes, they certainly are blowing it. Missing wide-open or completely open nets is not blowing it? Ask anyone who watches any sport besides hockey that when you have a brilliant chance to score and you don't. That's blowing it.

And, getting into it with you on a Monday morning is exactly what I need right now. lol

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Maybe the NHL will be nice and gift us an playoff spot in April because our expected goals was actually good and we were just unlucky

The point of the advanced stats is not to be gifted a spot. The point is that they are indicative of which team is controlling the overall play, and over a large enough sample size, the team that controls the overall play tends to win more games. On a game-by-game basis, that's not always true, but over 82 games, it tends to work out.

I said before the Flyers game that the Flyers had a good record but were a bad team poised to fall off a cliff. Now, they have lost 6 in a row and are falling down the standings fast. We're looking for the opposite to happen with the Rangers. If they keep carrying the play, they will hit an extended hot streak when their luck turns.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
why is this such a bad explanation lol

there's so many examples of teams with shit loads of talent just not scoring for periods at a time
you mean teams that have a proven track record?

Why are we comparing our team to elite 5v5 teams? If they bust out of it and move to the upper echelon of 5v5 teams, great... They have to prove it first.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
You mean like how one of the best teams in the league just missed the playoffs last year for absolutely no reason and now everyone is floored that they've won 12 in a row?
iu

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes, they certainly are blowing it. Missing wide-open or completely open nets is not blowing it? Ask anyone who watches any sport besides hockey that when you have a brilliant chance to score and you don't. That's blowing it.

And, getting into it with you on a Monday morning is exactly what I need right now. lol
Yes but I'm the voice of reason. I've told you guys before - that's always bad.

Reactions: UnSandvich

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Getting caved in but "finding a way" to score 4 goals despite never having the puck looks like "battling."
Correct. When they didn't have the puck as much in the past they battled more, they were more desperate and it showed in their game. Now they have the puck more and often look content that they have it with the odd fit of desperation like we saw at the start of the third in sj.

Thanks for quoting my word but not quoting my text while criticizing it.

A+

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
They really do need to diversify their portfolio when it comes to offensive plays. We're watching the same plays or types of attempts over and over.
Disagree- when we find open nets repeatedly and bang the posts on good looks, we're doing something right and need to continue that.

The game against LV, period 2 and 3 were an absolute abomination though

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Correct. When they didn't have the puck as much in the past they battled more, they were more desperate and it showed in their game. Now they have the puck more and often look content that they have it with the odd fit of desperation like we saw at the start of the third in sj.

A+
Well you've demonstrated that you associate grit with shooting percentage like I said, so thanks for that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
lmao this is a perfect response. Someone made the joke (a decent one) about cashing in xGF a few games ago and now it's become a meme on here for Gallant haters
Like...yes.

Yes?

Yes.

The answer is yes.

We're going to "cash in" and score a bunch of f***ing goals. That's how math works and that's how hockey works.

It's a matter of when, and I've said from the beginning that it can go entire seasons.

You know, like last year? When the team put up 110 points getting absolutely f***ing ANNIHILATED every night from December thru March.

But then it becomes "they tried harder then." The entire roster made up of mostly the same guys became worse shooters and lazier people over the summer.

That makes sense but "hockey is random" doesn't.

And also bullshit. I read about this team being soft and lazy all last year as recently as game 4 in Pittsburgh, but now their commitment was the difference. Get your stories straight.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also friendly reminder for you "Thanksgiving" folks (that is completely arbitrary and playoff odds increase in severity with each passing day; you're using Thanksgiving to be pissed about something) that we ARE in a playoff spot. And if we fall one point out of one before the vaunted Thanksgiving, that doesn't change the fact that we're in the hunt. Terrible and out-of-it teams heavily inflate the Thanksgiving and Christmas odds thing. Thanksgiving is Thursday and we're in the race. It's over. We did it if that means something to you. Mission accomplished.

I'm sitting here defending a team that's IN the playoffs from people afraid they're going to miss it.

One thing that is very clear at the Thanksgiving turnstile is that everyone and their dog has a decent record and we're not going to have eight teams sprint from the pack like last year.

Which makes sense because 2022 was a massive outlier. 108-point teams were playing game 1 on the road.

Last edited:

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Yes but I'm the voice of reason. I've told you guys before - that's always bad.

Disagree- when we find open nets repeatedly and bang the posts on good looks, we're doing something right and need to continue that.

The game against LV, period 2 and 3 were an absolute abomination though

This is not dissimilar from when you complained that the Yankees' offense was only trying to hit homers. So this is like them hitting warning-track shots repeatedly but now you're saying, yes, keep going for the fences instead of spraying the ball all fields to get runs in, because one day that ball will get over the fence.

You told your son to stop doing the Yanks home-run swing @romba LOL

Yes, I brought baseball into this thread!

95% of the offense is E-W pass-happy shit.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is not dissimilar from when you complained that the Yankees' offense was only trying to hit homers. So this is like them hitting warning-track shots repeatedly but now you're saying, yes, keep going for the fences instead of spraying the ball all fields to get runs in, because one day that ball will get over the fence.

No.

It's more like I've been telling the Yankees they're doing offense fundamentally wrong (which is true) just like how the Rangers have been doing hockey fundamentally wrong for several years (also absolutely true).

Then the Yankees start to contact hit and spray the ball to all fields, they produce an elite line drive rate, but their BABIP tanks for no reason other than life's not fair, and because their line drives are getting caught, I'm worried they're going to give up on finally playing correctly and go back to playing like shit because "we won games when we did that."

That's what's happening.

I don't want to go back to AV pocket-pool hockey because "Igor was good at making 40+ saves."

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

A+
can't believe you lot found a way to make controlling the play look bad lol

so the thousands of mad posts about how bad they were at 5 on 5 last year were just a dream? this board had this team pinned as lazy entitled assholes pretty much all year until game 5 against Pittsburgh.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

More like the yanks getting robbed from wall climbers 5 times a game and home runs ending up 6 inches foul over and over (goalies making dumb deflection/tip saves over and over, missed/flubbed open nets, post after post), and nearly every single line drive/ground ball/regular fly ball (point shot) ends up somehow being an out.

Gauthier finally tipped in a shot, so that's one inning where they string a walk and 2 grounders into a measly run and won 1-0.

Reactions: will1066

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
No.

It's more like I've been telling the Yankees they're doing offense fundamentally wrong (which is true) just like how the Rangers have been doing hockey fundamentally wrong for several years (also absolutely true).

Then the Yankees start to contact hit and spray the ball to all fields, they produce an elite line drive rate, but their BABIP tanks for no reason other than life's not fair, and because their line drives are getting caught, I'm worried they're going to give up on finally playing correctly and go back to playing like shit because "we won games when we did that."

That's what's happening.

I don't want to go back to AV pocket-pool hockey because "Igor was good at making 40+ saves."

More like the yanks getting robbed from wall climbers 5 times a game and home runs ending up 6 inches foul over and over (goalies making dumb deflection/tip saves over and over, missed/flubbed open nets, post after post), and nearly every single line drive/ground ball/regular fly ball (point shot) ends up somehow being an out.

Gauthier finally tipped in a shot, so that's one inning where they string a walk and 2 grounders into a measly run and won 1-0.
Fine! You win this time, He-Man!

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
it's obvious the players didn't like their previous coach. Good players came back, Bergeron didn't retire, they regrouped to come back with a fresh approach and now they are enjoying life and playing good hockey again.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
it's obvious the players didn't like their previous coach. Good players came back, Bergeron didn't retire, they regrouped to come back with a fresh approach and now they are enjoying life and playing good hockey again.
Not that team.

The Devils were one of the most effective teams in the league last year. All that changed is that they stopped getting completely unsustainable goaltending simply because that's what unsustainable means.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Were you advocating for bringing in Trotz??
If I'm being bored out of my skull might as well have the more competent coach doing it? Anyway that was more tongue in cheek. Looking at this org's ability to hire dire dino coaches what else is there but gallows humor?

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Not that team.

The Devils were one of the most effective teams in the league last year. All that changed is that they stopped getting completely unsustainable goaltending simply because that's what unsustainable means.
They also brought in a coach from Florida to fine tune the offensive game... :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad