Injury Report: Big Buff Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Actual quote, omitting the you knows and uhhs.

“There was lots of conversations in the summer and there was never any indication that anything was out of the normal til the night before training camp. Even at that point he didn’t know. I guess about a month later things looked good. It was like he wanted to play. Then he talked about the ankle situation.”
There you go muddying the waters with actual quotes.
Hyperbole, conjecture and rumours is how we roll round here!

I want to know dammit!

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Ignoring that Servavelli said there was going to be a contract termination over 2 weeks ago. Now not only are the Jets shipping him but teams are interested? The guy hasn't skated in 10 months, had ankle surgery, and clearly has shown zero signs he has any interest in playing this season. He just got back from a Caribbean vacation ie he's not out getting into game shape. He's clearly not playing this season. If a deal is to be made for Byfuglien it's an offseason deal not a trade deadline one imo.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Ignoring that Servavelli said there was going to be a contract termination over 2 weeks ago. Now not only are the Jets shipping him but teams are interested? The guy hasn't skated in 10 months, had ankle surgery, and clearly has shown zero signs he has any interest in playing this season. He just got back from a Caribbean vacation ie he's not out getting into game shape. He's clearly not playing this season. If a deal is to be made for Byfuglien it's an offseason deal not a trade deadline one imo.
If his ankle is healed, a genetic freak like him could train hard with a new team the next 4-5 weeks and be ready before playoffs. If he wanted to play, I have no doubt in my mind a guy like him would be ready. Even if a team dressed him as a fourth liner just to play in front on the pp. Buff is a guy I wouldn’t count out, especially if he went to a contender. I don’t think he wants to play anymore, but I bet getting traded to a team with cup aspirations could spark a guys love again.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
If his ankle is healed, a genetic freak like him could train hard with a new team the next 4-5 weeks and be ready before playoffs. If he wanted to play, I have no doubt in my mind a guy like him would be ready. Even if a team dressed him as a fourth liner just to play in front on the pp. Buff is a guy I wouldn’t count out, especially if he went to a contender. I don’t think he wants to play anymore, but I bet getting traded to a team with cup aspirations could spark a guys love again.

Not saying he couldn't be ready in 4 weeks, saying he has shown zero indication that he has any intention of getting ready. The guy didn't want to play for $8mm on a team with cup aspirations prior to the season but hes going to bust his butt for 4 weeks, move himself and his wife, take his kids out of school, to go play in the playoffs for zero money? I don't see it.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Not saying he couldn't be ready in 4 weeks, saying he has shown zero indication that he has any intention of getting ready. The guy didn't want to play for $8mm on a team with cup aspirations prior to the season but hes going to bust his butt for 4 weeks, move himself and his wife, take his kids out of school, to go play in the playoffs for zero money? I don't see it.
Forgetting one thing. Potentially healed ankle. That’s the difference. Buff beats to own drum so throw logic out window. Him and Jets relationship was stained. With a new team he may be willing to put the work in for a chance at cup. That may be more of a motivator than money.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Forgetting one thing. Potentially healed ankle. That’s the difference. Buff beats to own drum so throw logic out window. Him and Jets relationship was stained. With a new team he may be willing to put the work in for a chance at cup. That may be more of a motivator than money.

I think we'll find out it was Buff that caused the relationship strain rather than the other way around, so I'm not sure how much motivation there is to be had there. And I'm one of those idiots hoping that Buff doesn't go anywhere, just quietly and politely retires as a Jet so as to not further strain the relationship with the city/fans/team. Obviously the logical position is to get an asset, any asset back for him if you can.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I think we'll find out it was Buff that caused the relationship strain rather than the other way around, so I'm not sure how much motivation there is to be had there. And I'm one of those idiots hoping that Buff doesn't go anywhere, just quietly and politely retires as a Jet so as to not further strain the relationship with the city/fans/team. Obviously the logical position is to get an asset, any asset back for him if you can.
I agree, I wasn’t blaming Jets, just saying it was strained. But yes it would be tough to watch him play elsewhere but if it gets us a pick so be it.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Maybe.... but, it took the Jets like 2 years to convince Buff to get in better shape when he first got here...when I look up "training hard" in the dictionary, I don't see a picture of Buff. But yeah, you are right in that if a team just wanted him to stand in front of the other net and create havoc, he could do that no matter what shape he's in.

Reactions: sipowicz

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sure, but if a team wanted to secure his rights for next season they may want to get a jump on everyone else and give something up now for that.

Reactions: sipowicz

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

You're dreaming. He's not playing this year. He was a freak. Now he's an old guy with bad ankles.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

I don't know. Who says he'd move his wife and kids? He may just be living the single life for a few months playing playoff hockey. I feel like that could appeal to Buff.

I look at Carolina, who is reportedly looking for RD with Hamilton's injury that could use Buff this year and with Marleau and TVR coming off their books could afford Buff next year as well. Their 1st round pick is on the trade board... Just saying.

If there's someone that could walk off the street and play at an impact level in the NHL I would bet on Buff. If this is the end of the road for Buff and the Jets that's fine, but it would sure smooth the blow for me if we got some goodies out of his departure. Trouba left and the return makes me not ever even think about it anymore. It's a nice parting gift for the franchise and fans if it works out.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Actual quote, omitting the you knows and uhhs.

“There was lots of conversations in the summer and there was never any indication that anything was out of the normal til the night before training camp. Even at that point he didn’t know. I guess about a month later things looked good. It was like he wanted to play. Then he talked about the ankle situation.”

Heard a bit of an interview with (I think) Jim Benning. So many 'y'knows' and 'likes' that parts of it were complete gibberish. :laugh:

These guys have to speak publicly. These are just bad habits and they are not that hard to break. Come on you guys! Just try.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
:laugh:
I don't know. Who says he'd move his wife and kids? He may just be living the single life for a few months playing playoff hockey. I feel like that could appeal to Buff.

I look at Carolina, who is reportedly looking for RD with Hamilton's injury that could use Buff this year and with Marleau and TVR coming off their books could afford Buff next year as well. Their 1st round pick is on the trade board... Just saying.

If there's someone that could walk off the street and play at an impact level in the NHL I would bet on Buff. If this is the end of the road for Buff and the Jets that's fine, but it would sure smooth the blow for me if we got some goodies out of his departure. Trouba left and the return makes me not ever even think about it anymore. It's a nice parting gift for the franchise and fans if it works out.
Holy f*** now we are getting a first round pick!:laugh: Keep clicking the link lmao.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Buff plays this post-season, after being convinced out of retirement and getting surgery. He just doesn’t want to play for the Jets any more and was trying to get out of his contract his own way.

Not impossible. Buff is ..... unusual.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I think Buff plays this post-season, after being convinced out of retirement and getting surgery. He just doesn’t want to play for the Jets any more and was trying to get out of his contract his own way.

If, he was in playing condition, and he didn't want to play for the Jets anymore, all he had to do was show up and ask to be traded. And he could have gotten traded no problem... and paid. Lots of demand for a healthy Buff.

He didn't show up to camp and he's not getting paid. Who does that? To prove what?

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
Screenshot_20200221-082254_Instagram.jpg
Buffs Man Boobies say otherwise lol

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
:laugh:
Holy f*ck now we are getting a first round pick!:laugh: Keep clicking the link lmao.

I don't think he is anything less...he is a game changer, even a series changer, enough to get a club over the hump and get SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad