Injury Report: Big Buff Discussion 2

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
I think his ankle was just too messed up to keep playing. At some point you take one shot too many and you're screwed for the rest of your life. Buff is still a young man and loves the outdoors. I think he made he right decision even tho I would have loved to see him finish his contract.
The big boys feel the miles a little bit more.
And our boy Buff had some glorious hard miles on him.

I'll never forget this one game. I swear he back combed his hair because he was running a strong Afro. Buff was cruising around the rink with no bucket during warmups. He had this larger than life aura and you just couldnt take your eyes off of him. Funny thing was he kept rubbing Chiarot out into the boards everytime he got near him. Lol Ben was just laughing it off but it looked pretty rough.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think his ankle was just too messed up to keep playing. At some point you take one shot too many and you're screwed for the rest of your life. Buff is still a young man and loves the outdoors. I think he made he right decision even tho I would have loved to see him finish his contract.
I also think the concussion he got was a bit of a eye opener for him as well .

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Ah, good for Buff. Enjoy retirement big man.

FWIW all the Byfuglien jerseys are on sale at True North Shop. Some are pretty sizable discounts, some not so much.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Article is the same info as we heard on illegal curve, nothing new. Buff coming back would be an extreme long shot.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I heard part of an interview with his agent last week? and he said they had a meeting with Minny but Buff said no.
He also said every single team in the league called to see if Buff wanted to play.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Agent also said of Buff "He's got enough money in the bank, he's won a stanley cup (in Chicago) and played a long time, and it probably got maybe a little stale - I don't know - in Winnipeg"

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I hate the athletic... useless rag
So, I’m assuming, as I can’t read the article without signing up to that drivel, that Buff is staying semi-retired?

The Athletic is the best sports writing I've read in a long time.

Its saying that Buff probably should've had surgery last offseason but did his usual hunting and fishing, and when he came back his ankle was messed up. He was already losing interest in playing and quit. They said its a hockey injury but Buff didn't care about the money and decided to just walk away. He met with Guerin a couple of months ago but decided against playing unless he was 100% committed.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Its saying that Buff probably should've had surgery last offseason but did his usual hunting and fishing, and when he came back his ankle was messed up. He was already losing interest in playing and quit. They said its a hockey injury but Buff didn't care about the money and decided to just walk away. He met with Guerin a couple of months ago but decided against playing unless he was 100% committed.

He went out the way he came in. Listening to Duncan Keith talking about how soon to be rookie Buff took all the phones in his house Off the hook in the summer so the Hawks couldn’t get in touch with him for rookie camp was hilarious.

Buff was Buff

God I miss him.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
To be honest, I love him even more after all this. I love people that really truly don't do it for the money but for the love of doing it. No matter what job or passion we're talking about.

I truly hope he has an amazing life going forward.
He did it for the money. When he made enough, he quit on his team and fans right as the season was starting. He had no passion for the game. He was just good at hockey. In high school he was cut and said he was okay with it as it gave him time to hunt and fish instead.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He did it for the money. When he made enough, he quit on his team and fans right as the season was starting. He had no passion for the game. He was just good at hockey. In high school he was cut and said he was okay with it as it gave him time to hunt and fish instead.

From the sounds of things, he wasn't going to be able to play for a good portion of last season anyway. No one who's only doing it for the money terminates a contract with $14M left on it when there are other avenues to make it without playing (IR).

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
From the sounds of things, he wasn't going to be able to play for a good portion of last season anyway. No one who's only doing it for the money terminates a contract with $14M left on it when there are other avenues to make it without playing (IR).
That was not a option. He didn't get the surgery in the off season like he should have. Tried to show up to get his money and found it he could not do it without the surgery. So he went for the surgery but had no heart to rehab and come back. That's on him for not getting the surgery done in April after the season and working hard to get back for the start of the season. He could have but choose not to because he would actually have the heart to work hard. He still went for surgery but went to the carribean instead of working hard to come back. In order to get his money he would actually have the heart to work hard to come back. No team would pay for a guy to go on IR without working on rehab to come back. Like his agent said he has enough money. He took his money and walked away instead of having the heart to play hockey. He has the right to walk away from the team and fans if he wants. It's the timing of it, he could have just retired at the end of the season and gave the Jets time to do something else. If I was a team mate of his I would be mad that he walked away at training camp.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

wasn't he told the ankle would heal fine on its own? wasn't there a whole ordeal regarding him supposedly passing the end of year injury report or physical, despite the injury?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
wasn't he told the ankle would heal fine on its own? wasn't there a whole ordeal regarding him supposedly passing the end of year injury report or physical, despite the injury?

That's wasn't really mentioned in the article. That was the rumour at the time, yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad