Beware the 7 vs. 2 matchup

HFNHL Red Wings

TSN published some interesting stats on the winning percentage of lower ranked teams in the 1st round of the playoffs (record since 1994 when current format came into effect).
Unfortunately we only seem to have records for 4 years of playoff history but here's the stats fo the HFNHL.

HFNHL NHL
W - L W - L
8 v 1 1 - 7 12.50% 7 - 17 29.17%
7 v 2 4 - 4 50.00% 14 - 10 58.33%
6 v 3 3 - 5 37.50% 7 - 17 29.17%
5 v 4 3 - 5 37.50% 6 - 18 25.00%
Total 11 - 21 34.38% 34 - 62 35.42%

HFNHL Red Wings

Damn, all of a sudden the Wings pushing for #1 looks that much more ominous.

LOL. Finishing 2nd for either of us is improbable due to divisional seeding. It's most likely 1st or 4th for us Nick with you having the obvious advantage . Until just recently, you've managed to be pretty consistent while I've definitely had a few cold streaks along the way. I'd like to talk trash but I never seem to know what Red Wing team is going to show up for me these days.

This home and home series should be interesting, especially since I want revenge for that 5-1 drubbing you laid on the Wings a couple of weeks ago.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
LOL. Finishing 2nd for either of us is improbable due to divisional seeding. It's most likely 1st or 4th for us Nick with you having the obvious advantage . Until just recently, you've managed to be pretty consistent while I've definitely had a few cold streaks along the way. I'd like to talk trash but I never seem to know what Red Wing team is going to show up for me these days.

This home and home series should be interesting, especially since I want revenge for that 5-1 drubbing you laid on the Wings a couple of weeks ago.

Ah yes, forgot about the old divisonal thing, which might turn out to be similar to the NHL, where the 4-5 series are pitting two of the top four teams from each conference. The Sharks (or Ducks) would make a formidable opponent in the first round for either of us.

And yes, our up coming home and home should be interesting. I hope I get my guys back after the night off. We'll need it, as I'm sure there is menace on the minds of the Wings. I've been holding off on any trash talk, as one convincing win is just that, although I do feel I've built a team that matches up with your Wings much better. Of course, I wasn't really anticipating you getting Shanahan :shakehead

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Well, I am not positive but I think it was a 2-7 matchup when I got spanked by Buffalo last year....and it looks like it could be the same this year.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Well, I am not positive but I think it was a 2-7 matchup when I got spanked by Buffalo last year....and it looks like it could be the same this year.

Yeah, that was a 2/7 upset...

Martin Brassard's Canadiens also pulled off an upset in the first round as a 7 seed in 2004.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad