Bettman - Senators need a new home

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Bettman better be careful because Ottawa fans don't like to pushed and already hate their owner, any more negative push from him against the fanbase and attendance could get worse and not better.

And the stadium would be much further along if Melnyck had money to build it. Big delays are coming because he doesn't have th financing to pay for anything.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Can't really blame him. I mean, having teams in places like Phoenix and Miami makes the league as a whole easier to market while no casual sports fan in the United States is interested in watching their local team play Calgary or Ottawa.
Yeah, American sports fans don't want to miss the Arizona Coyotes.

Reactions: Inkling

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Come on now. The Oilers, Flames, and Sens were all in danger of relocating in the late 90's/early 2000's. The NHL hasn't exactly been trigger-happy with relocation in recent years. It's pretty much a last resort.

Bettman and the owners are just doing their due diligence to get public support and funding. At the end of the day they'll probably budge. I can't imagine the Flames or Sens going anywhere.
Why should public funds go towards billionaire owners and a League that makes billions on TV, marke ting, etc. etc.? Yet, Bettman makes threats and intimidates the fans/public officials that a team might move or relocate. Why should that be the public's problem? Public money is not from thin air (some people think it is, though) and that should be reserved for actual support structures, not given to billionaires. The whole thing with pro sports and public financing is insane, imho.

Reactions: ThePriorityDeal

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Why should public funds go towards billionaire owners and a League that makes billions on TV, marke ting, etc. etc.? Yet, Bettman makes threats and intimidates the fans/public officials that a team might move or relocate. Why should that be the public's problem? Public money is not from thin air (some people think it is, though) and that should be reserved for actual support structures, not given to billionaires. The whole thing with pro sports and public financing is insane, imho.
Agreed, although I mostly blame the cities for giving them the handout.

Can't blame owners for taking advantage of idiocy.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

I agree that public money shouldn't go towards it (never said it should), but I'm guessing that it will happen and Bettman is just speaking for Melnyk's interests.

These threats for relocation won't amount to much.

Last edited:

RitzFoods

Nov 15, 2017
Having been a Jets fan for the last 35 + years I can tell you I’ve seen this movie before, and it can end terribly.

The script goes something like this:

Local fans and team start talking about the need for a new facility. There’s all kinds of reasons for it; some valid, some not so much and some self-inflicted by ownership/management and yes even local governments.

That brews for awhile eventually percolating into local media then becoming a local public debate. People on both sides for and not for an arena weigh in, now it’s an issue.

Eventually, the issue finds itself on the national stage with scenes of empty seats at games then ownership, government and the league (and Grapes!) start pointing fingers. Then, the threats start.

In the case of Ottawa and Calgary it’s government that will have to save the day. They either will, or they won’t. But don’t kid yourself into thinking government will save the day because history (Winnipeg, Quebec) tells a different story.

In the end we (you and me) pay, and we do so with a smile.

In my opinion Ottawa absolutely positively needs a new, smaller multi-complex downtown to stay economically viable. Whoever thought that monstrosity rising out of nowhere in Kanata was a good long term idea?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Bettman better be careful because Ottawa fans don't like to pushed and already hate their owner, any more negative push from him against the fanbase and attendance could get worse and not better.

And the stadium would be much further along if Melnyck had money to build it. Big delays are coming because he doesn't have th financing to pay for anything.

Could someone fill me in on this? I thought that Melnyk had won the right to develop the parcel in question, and is intention was always to do so privately?

But I haven't heard anything lately, so I am assuming there is some delay. Is he really angling for city funding? Wow. What a turn of events that would be...

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Having been a Jets fan for the last 35 + years I can tell you I’ve seen this movie before, and it can end terribly.

The script goes something like this:

Local fans and team start talking about the need for a new facility. There’s all kinds of reasons for it; some valid, some not so much and some self-inflicted by ownership/management and yes even local governments.

That brews for awhile eventually percolating into local media then becoming a local public debate. People on both sides for and not for an arena weigh in, now it’s an issue.

Eventually, the issue finds itself on the national stage with scenes of empty seats at games then ownership, government and the league (and Grapes!) start pointing fingers. Then, the threats start.

In the case of Ottawa and Calgary it’s government that will have to save the day. They either will, or they won’t. But don’t kid yourself into thinking government will save the day because history (Winnipeg, Quebec) tells a different story.

In the end we (you and me) pay, and we do so with a smile.

In my opinion Ottawa absolutely positively needs a new, smaller multi-complex downtown to stay economically viable. Whoever thought that monstrosity rising out of nowhere in Kanata was a good long term idea?

You're wrong about pretty much everything here.

The proposed new arena in Ottawa is the result of the NCC finally deciding to do something with contaminated land that has sat empty for over 50 yeqrs. It has nothing to do with fans talking about it.

The team wants it because it will give them the keys to a billion dollar development in a prime location paid for by others who want in on the development. They're also hoping the government will pitch in money too.

The Canadian Tire Centre is not a monstrosity. It's the best NHL rink I've been in and I've been in 9 current NHL rinks. And the Senators are fine staying in western Ottawa. Melnyk selling the team will do as much for the franchise as moving them into the central core.

RitzFoods

Nov 15, 2017
The proposed new arena in Ottawa is the result of the NCC finally deciding to do something with contaminated land that has sat empty for over 50 yeqrs. It has nothing to do with fans talking about it.

You make it sound like the move to a new facility is opportunistic rather than their being market/economic drivers behind the need to move into a new facility. If that’s what you’re saying then I’ll agree to disagree.

Cheers.

EDIT: Changed word use from ‘move’ to ‘new facility’.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Could someone fill me in on this? I thought that Melnyk had won the right to develop the parcel in question, and is intention was always to do so privately?

But I haven't heard anything lately, so I am assuming there is some delay. Is he really angling for city funding? Wow. What a turn of events that would be...
Yes, the Renevous group who the Sens are partnering with have won the right to negotiate a development agreement with the NCC.

There's no delay, at least not at this time. An agreement is expected by the end of the year/early new year.

From there it's then a negotiation with the city. Unsure of what the Sens are asking for. My understanding the building is to be privately financed but there is also the cost of cleaning up the land which is contanimated and likely infrastructure costs too.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
You make it sound like the move to a new facility is opportunistic rather than their being market/economic drivers behind the need to move into a new facility. If that’s what you’re saying then I’ll agree to disagree.

It's pretty simple. If the NCC had decided to just sit on the land or just let cut rate builders throw up more cheaply built condos on the site, then there would be no discussion about a new arena for the Senators.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Happy 100th anniversary of the league everyone !!!

“But we never threaten communities. Whatever happens, happens, in the natural evolution. If a team needs a new building and can no longer survive without one and they can’t get one, then things happen."

Gary Bettman in Montreal this past weekend.

Reactions: OddyOh and Killion

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I still don't get why stadiums have to be so extravagant. When you buy a house, you buy one that you can afford. The NHL acts like it has NFL power and money. They should not be alienating their existing fan base in the attempt to bring in new fans.

Because the fans do want arenas with all the bells & whistles. Plus, the owners want to capitalize their revenue streams which is the real reason for building a new arena. These places are competing for entertainment money, so it better be an experience...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The cost of soil cleanup will be astronomical...and no one wants to pay for it. This will, if not kill the deal, delay it well into 2023-2024

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
The cost of soil cleanup will be astronomical...and no one wants to pay for it. This will, if not kill the deal, delay it well into 2023-2024

The city is refusing to pay for it. The team certainly will not.

So federal government? I expect so, this is the type of project they like. They'll make a show of fiscal restraint, but then paint it as an environmental project and do it.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
According to a very solid source, the Ottawa Senators have been sold to a group headed by a guy named Jeff Hunt (an owner of the Ottawa Redblacks of the CFL).

Eugene Melnyk has finally given up his pursuit of a new arena. I don't know yet what it means to their future in Kanata and if they will still build a new arena in Lebreton Flats.

This will be announced sooner rather than later.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
According to a very solid source, the Ottawa Senators have been sold to a group headed by a guy named Jeff Hunt (an owner of the Ottawa Redblacks of the CFL).

Eugene Melnyk has finally given up his pursuit of a new arena. I don't know yet what it means to their future in Kanata and if they will still build a new arena in Lebreton Flats.

If this is true and it's good news for the Sens. Jeff Hunt's group have been great owners in the CFL and revived a market that was left for dead twice.

As far as Melnyk giving up on the arena, my guess it his part in the Renezvous bid would be sold to OSEG too.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Very interesting indeed..... Lets just wait for an "official announcement" or verified report from a solid media source before we let that run wild huh?..... Yikes. :laugh:

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

You must know a Desmarais or someone close to them given your location...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad