Bettman on the FAN today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Sometime between 130-630 with Mike and Chris. Could be interesting being that we are so close to a possible drop dead date, and from what JD said on the same show yesterday, we are nearing the 11th hour (or are at it now but you get the point). Should get a very good idea on where the season is going by what Bettman says today.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It is one day short of the day a deal was struck the last strike/lockout. And not a murmer of talks at all. I would say that the 11th hour has come and gone.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
It is one day short of the day a deal was struck the last strike/lockout. And not a murmer of talks at all. I would say that the 11th hour has come and gone.

Deal was done on Jan. 11th of 95, so were two days past.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Any chance that one of you who can hear it could post a recap? It would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
Same old rhetoric from "Count Chocula" Bettman:

Francesa offered Bettman the opportunity to give the fans an idea of a drop dead date, Bettman declined. :banghead:

Bettman claims that the polls show that he has the support of most of the fans and gets messages from the them to keep up the good fight (bullsh*t)

Bettman claims the NBC deal will help the sport grow and will end up being 10 times better than the last TV deal :lol

Bettman claims that he made the last "proposal" and the players looked at it for 2 hours and ran away (if you consider that a "proposal", I've gotta bridge to sell you)

Bettman says that calling Goodenow to meet might send mixed signals and the puck is in Goodenow's end.

Bettman says he misses hockey terribly and feels bad for the fans (quadruple bullsh*t) :lol

Bettman says that they can't have a third party come in to get the talks moving until the players show that they are willing to make a deal (no sense at all, doesn't a third party come in when the two sides have exhausted almost all means and still can't agree?)

BLAH BLAH BLAH, same old, same old rhetoric from Buttman himself. :madfire: :mad:

Last edited:

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
jratelle19 said:

Francesa offered Bettman the opportunity to give the fans an idea of a drop dead date, Bettman declined.

Bettman claims that the polls show that he has the support of most of the fans and gets messages from the them to keep up the good fight (bullsh*t)

Bettman claims the NBC deal will help the sport grow and will end up being 10 times better than the last TV deal (bullsh*t)

Bettman claims that he made the last "proposal" and the players looked at it for 2 hours and ran away (if you consider that a "proposal", I've gotta bridge to sell you)

Bettman says that calling Goodenow to meet might send mixed signals and the puck is in Goodenow's end.

Bettman says he misses hockey terribly and feels bad for the fans (quadruple bullsh*t)

BLAH BLAH BLAH, same old, same old rhetoric from Buttman himself.
yes yes gary bettman - hmmm - it just might be better to shut it down this year till someone comes along to steer the ship and show some real leadership - the players have come along way - i'd stay out till something really snaps - then a head will role - the count's head -

Last edited:

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
jratelle19 said:

Looks like Bettman is using the ever popular "Tag, You're It" negotiating strategy made famous in elementary schools across the US.

This is maddening....who cares who gave who the last proposal :mad:

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
CarlRacki said:
Any chance that one of you who can hear it could post a recap? It would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

WFAN 660 in NY on the Mike and the Mad Dog Show for the poster who thought it was on 590.

It was actually a lot shorter than I thought it would be, Bettman had a "meeting" to go to and got off the hook rather easily. Was only about 20 mins.

It should be up on their site by tonight or tommorow, as is what JD said on the show yesterday....http://wfan.com/chrismikeaudio/

EJsens1

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
jratelle19 said:
Francesa offered Bettman the opportunity to give the fans an idea of a drop dead date, Bettman declined. :banghead:

Big surprise. You'd think he'd announce the cancellation on this station???

Well, most polls around here and everywhere else would tend to agree with his comments here. Are you privy to some other information about the "true" polls of fans???

Bettman claims the NBC deal will help the sport grow and will end up being 10 times better than the last TV deal :lol

That's his perogative. I guess you can't say it won't hurt though, there is no evidence that suggests it could or couldn't work out.

How is this claim incorrect??? Explain to me how it really went down then.

If that is how he sees it, that's his opinion. Do you think he might say the honus is on the owners to come out and acknowledge that its their responsibility to make the next move after they made the last proposal, regardless of wether or not you think it was really a "proposal"???

Bettman says he misses hockey terribly and feels bad for the fans (quadruple bullsh*t) :lol

I've never understood this. I don't see how people actually think that owners and Bettman really don't want the players on the ice. They wouldn't be owners of teams if they didn't want to see the product on the ice itself, but at what cost??? That's how I see it.

Bettman says that they can't have a third party come in to get the talks moving until the players show that they are willing to make a deal (no sense at all, doesn't a third party come in when the two sides have exhausted almost all means and still can't agree?)

Makes sense to me.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
jratelle19 said:

Thanks. A little less objective than I might have liked, but I appreciate the effort nonetheless.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Craven Morehead said:
Big surprise. You'd think he'd announce the cancellation on this station???

He wasn't asked to cancel the season what are you talking about? Do you think he would cancel the season in a radio interview? He was simply asked if the league had in mind a drop dead date at which point any agreement would not save the season anyway. JD was saying yesterday, and as common sense would tell you, that we are about 10-15 days away from the absolute last day a deal could be made and we could save this season. Bettman was asked if this was true, about how much time was left on this season and about what date the league would finally let the fans no that they are pulling the plug on the season.

Bettman refused to answer despite being asked the question multiple times and said that the league has not even considered a drop dead date or anyting like that. I guess one morning he will just wake up and say, yep we can't have the season anymore I guess today is the drop dead date. More Bettman bs, I wish he could just answer questions truthfully for once.

Lanny MacDonald*

jratelle19 said:

Well, that started out objectively. I think I know where this is going.

Francesa offered Bettman the opportunity to give the fans an idea of a drop dead date, Bettman declined.

Why should he announce that on a radio show, and at this date? Greedenow (see, we can all play the name game) has historically been an 11th hour negotiator. By not announcing the drop dead date that ability is taken from him and the NHLPA.

OVERWHELMING support from the fans. I have yet to see a single poll that has not been at least 70% behind the owners. I'm not sure how you can call BS on it, but that's the sad facts. The players, and their supporters, are in the huge minority.

Bettman claims the NBC deal will help the sport grow and will end up being 10 times better than the last TV deal

The potential is there. The promise from NBC is to use HD technology and develop a vehicle for the NHL with the similar appeal of Monday Night Football. If the NHL can get a regular "game of the week" slot and be broadcast in high definition, I see no reason why the sport should not catch on and the contract prove to be a profitable one. It is no where near the cash cow up front, but in the long run a partnership with a major American broadcaster could prove to be even more successful.

That's true. The NHL did make the last proposal and the NHLPA took a cursory glance and flatly turned it down. You may not have liked the offer, similar to the feeling of those from the pro-NHL side in regards to the NHLPA's offer that included the rollback, but the fact was that the NHL made an offer that was built from the PA's offer.

That is true as well. The NHL was the last one to make an offer. Whether they liked the offer or not, the ball is in the NHLPA's court to counter. The NHL is not required to make the next offer. In fact it makes no sense for the NHL to make the next offer as they would appear to be negotiating against themselves. The puck is in the NHLPA's end. They are the ones who have the onus on them. Bargaining practices dictate so.

Bettman says he misses hockey terribly and feels bad for the fans (quadruple bullsh*t)

This is getting so old. A guy has been working for the league for over a decade and has been involved in many aspects of the game it is hard to fathom that he has not become a fan of the game. You don't pour so much effort into somethng if you don't enjoy what you are doing. Or are you suggesting that Greedenow doesn't like hockey either and that he is just sponging off of the game too?

And that is his right to say that.

BLAH BLAH BLAH, same old, same old rhetoric from Buttman himself.

You mean not like the same rhetoric we are hearing from the NHLPA, or have their membership hand fed when they say something other than exactly what comes out of Greedenow's mouth?

What did you expect? A capitulation and an annoucement of games starting tomorrow night? :shakehead

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
nyr7andcounting said:
He wasn't asked to cancel the season what are you talking about? Do you think he would cancel the season in a radio interview? He was simply asked if the league had in mind a drop dead date at which point any agreement would not save the season anyway. JD was saying yesterday, and as common sense would tell you, that we are about 10-15 days away from the absolute last day a deal could be made and we could save this season. Bettman was asked if this was true, about how much time was left on this season and about what date the league would finally let the fans no that they are pulling the plug on the season.

Bettman refused to answer despite being asked the question multiple times and said that the league has not even considered a drop dead date or anyting like that. I guess one morning he will just wake up and say, yep we can't have the season anymore I guess today is the drop dead date. More Bettman bs, I wish he could just answer questions truthfully for once.

Sheesh ... the guy can't win. When Bettman set the (now cancelled) Jan. 14 BOG meeting, players and pro-PA people griped that he was setting a drop-dead date in hopes it would cause them to cave. When he cancelled it, they complained that he wasn't trying to get anything done and his tactics were a failure.
Now he's getting ripped for not publicly stating a drop-dead date.
Maybe, just maybe, that's because he hasn't set a drop dead date.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
The Iconoclast said:
The potential is there. The promise from NBC is to use HD technology and develop a vehicle for the NHL with the similar appeal of Monday Night Football. If the NHL can get a regular "game of the week" slot and be broadcast in high definition, I see no reason why the sport should not catch on and the contract prove to be a profitable one.

Yes, and there will be unicorns and gumdrop rainshowers and...

The NHL regular season in a "Monday Night Football"-style week night slot on broadcast television? The NBA doesn't even have that. Yet NBC--currently in a tremendous ratings slide--would gladly replace its "Law & Order" lineup with regular season hockey?

Potential is one thing; reality is another.

<JESTER>

EJsens1

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
nyr7andcounting said:

Fine. Twist my words around how you see fit. The bottom line is that announcing a drop dead date means cancelling the season at some point. They 2 certainly have related value.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Well, that started out objectively. I think I know where this is going.

Why should you complain since you also have biased opinions yourself?

Why should he announce that on a radio show, and at this date? Greedenow (see, we can all play the name game) has historically been an 11th hour negotiator. By not announcing the drop dead date that ability is taken from him and the NHLPA.

Not just an 11th hour negotiator, but a good one to boot.

The players, and their supporters, are in the huge minority.

That's quite sad because the fans are being used and abused (deservingly I might add).

It is no where near the cash cow up front, but in the long run a partnership with a major American broadcaster could prove to be even more successful.

Wasn't ABC an important broadcasting company as well? Didn't the NHL get tons of exposure from the last Olympics? Doesn't seem like they provided a lot of help they provided to grow the sport. Moreover, HD won't increase the popularity of hockey. American fans can barely make their way to the arena in modest amounts to watch the game live. How will improved picture clarity help the NHL?

That's true. The NHL did make the last proposal and the NHLPA took a cursory glance and flatly turned it down. You may not have liked the offer, similar to the feeling of those from the pro-NHL side in regards to the NHLPA's offer that included the rollback, but the fact was that the NHL made an offer that was built from the PA's offer.

The last offer was BS and you know it. It's time for the NHL to make an offer that's actually palatable and rumours suggest it seems like they could be doing that. The hot potato is in Bettman's hand right now.

This is getting so old. A guy has been working for the league for over a decade and has been involved in many aspects of the game it is hard to fathom that he has not become a fan of the game. You don't pour so much effort into somethng if you don't enjoy what you are doing. Or are you suggesting that Greedenow doesn't like hockey either and that he is just sponging off of the game too?

Under his guidance, NHL hockey has vanished from some traditional hockey markets. He's extended a poorly built CBA twice, thus allowing the league health to be compromised. He doesn't relate to the average NHL fan. The product has suffered greatly during his tenure as he hasn't evolved the game enough to make it watchable. He's already been recognized in a couple magazines as one of the worst bussinessman in North America. He may be a fan of the game. But he's done a poor job of promoting it and letting it escape from those at the grassroots level of hockey. Some fan of the game he is.

You mean not like the same rhetoric we are hearing from the NHLPA, or have their membership hand fed when they say something other than exactly what comes out of Greedenow's mouth?

At least the NHLPA is the one making concessions.

Icono, I wholeheartedly agree with you that the NHLPA has got to give in. But we will never agree that the owners are clearly at fault for most of everything that has transpired.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
jericholic19 said:
Icono, I wholeheartedly agree with you that the NHLPA has got to give in. But we will never agree that the owners are clearly at fault for most of everything that has transpired.
Most people on the owners' side, and I'd wager this includes Iconoclast, wholeheartedly agree that the state the league is in is the result of the owners' throwing cash at the players and allowing their personal competetiveness cloud their business judgment.

HOWEVER, just because many feel the owners are responsible doesn't mean we automatically side with the players. If the players were to have their way, the league would get flushed down the toilet within a few more years. No, the scale needs to balance itself out a little by tipping back more towards the owners' side of things. It should be the players that are making the lion's share of concessions.

As for the drop-dead date issue, there's no way Bettman will announce one. I'd be surprised if he formally annouced the season was done at all. It keeps the PA guessing. There are a lot of guys, such as Daniel Alfredsson, waiting to bail to Europe the second Bettman announces the season is done. By not doing this, he keeps Goodenow and the players antsy and more likely to cave. And as Icono mentioned, Goodenow is known for working best with deadlines. By never announcing when midnight strikes, Bettman takes away Goodenow's 11th-hour advantage. Very crafty.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
Oh, there is no doubt that fans tend to lean towards the owners in the polls. What makes me laugh is his bs that he's getting encouraging e-mails from a lot of fans. Can't expect much from a ******* lawyer. Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to blast your hero.

I have no love for Goodenow, either, by the way.

The NBC statement was a lot of bull. Let me know how HD is going to keep up the fans' interest when the product on the ice is crap. It has been crap for at least 7 years and the league hasn't done a damned thing about it. Yet, there willing to risk it all over cost certainty. Oops, I didn't mean to ***** about your buddy, Bettman.

And if you think that the last offer by the league was a real proposal, then there's no use in me saying another word. That was an absolute joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad