Bettman on Quebec City October 3rd

AllezlesBleus

Mar 8, 2012
Belgium
A new declaration from Bettman on Quebec City at Bob McCown's sports show yesterday (October 3rd).

He is saying that Quebec City was not rejected only deferred just so that Quebec understand that the door is not closed.

It was a Board decision not to go with two new teams because the NHL wanted to offer a deeper expansion draft than they ever done and the Governors considered that losing two players per team was too much.

On Canadian dollar issue: he recognized that the situation got better since then.

The NHL have been in touch with people from Quebec City.

And then this: "I don't want to make any promises but they weren't rejected they were deferred and we know they want a team. And it's a long life in a small world and it's something that at the appropriate time perhaps we'll get an opportunity to focus on."

I have to say, as a Nordiques' fan, it's a little bit of water in what looks like to be a crossing of the desert. It's not much, but it will be enough to keep faith.

For the full interview go here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-time-sports/bettman-seattle-china-players-kneeling/

For the bit on Quebec City, go to 5:08

Reactions: Fenway

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I would agree. Though they can never guarantee anything, just like they didn't guarantee Vegas or Winnipeg before it happened. Clearly the door is open.

If Quebec was in the 'no not ever category' I think the league would just be more blunt about it and then there's no expectations to raise.

Still think the Seattle domino has to fall either expansion or relocation first then realistically there isn't anywhere else.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
I would agree. Though they can never guarantee anything, just like they didn't guarantee Vegas or Winnipeg before it happened. Clearly the door is open.

If Quebec was in the 'no not ever category' I think the league would just be more blunt about it and then there's no expectations to raise.

Still think the Seattle domino has to fall either expansion or relocation first then realistically there isn't anywhere else.

Sounds like they are keeping QC open for relocation, not expansion.

Relocation will likely occur first...
even for Seattle...
before expansion...

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
The league will continue to use QC as a relocation threat but will never actually put a team there.

Never?

Really, it took almost 8 years after the opening of the MTS Center in Winnipeg for an opportunity to present itself for relocation there. In Québec we're just beginning year 3 of the Centre Vidéotron.

We still live in relatively tumultuous times in the World of sports. Especially with "Cord Cutting" changing the sport TV revenues game.

An opportunity might present itself.... eventually. We'll see.

It did for Winnipeg, but didn't for Hamilton. (Altrough it was close for them a bunch of times) Who knows?!

We'll see, as always. And anyways we needed a new arena either way. The old Colisée is now almost 70 years old. So NHL team or not it was a necessary investment.

So, waiting is the best option, and in the meantime I am having an incredible amount of fun using my "Nordiques season tickets money" to periodically take trips to go watch MLB Baseball / NFL Football in the US. It's the NHL's lost if they dont want my money, not my loss.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I think we could see a team there potentially within 5-7 years. There are a few that are black holes financially and talent wise that aren't getting any better

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Like Hamilton.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
To be very honest

The NHL hve zero interest going Quebec land just like they had zero interest going Winnipeg airport (apologize to Jets fans, . They didnt have the choice.

That little pep talk Mr NY big time man made is to help Rogers and Videotron with their NHL TV contract, I mean, we're so dumb down here and will jump at our TV screens watch the clowns show..

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Not sure what to make of that. He's obviously being careful in his choice of words & posture. That the "door isnt shut, deferred, talking with Quebec" etc. I'm just not entirely buying this "teams didnt want to lose 2 players" rationale. Teams can easily afford to lose a couple, 4 or even 6 players beyond their Top 6 Forwards, Top 3 Defenceman & Starting Goaltenders the way the games being played, been played since 04. Could well be a contributing factor amongst others as to why QC wasnt granted a team through Expansion but in the scheme of things pretty far down the list. Overall however, positive interview, QC obviously held back, in abeyance, soft landing spot for sure, just a question of when & which club or whatever other winds buffet the Leagues ships elsewhere requiring Relocation & possible Expansion to compliment such that would see a return of the Nordique.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Bettman's speak of teams not wanting to do 2 expansion drafts etc...was really taking up some air time rambling around why the non-decision was made which he also referred to.

They didn't want to or know how to handle adding one to the east. They didn't have enough applicants to do both so just take Vegas by itself, wait for Seattle to get it's ducks ina row, start another one and lets see who comes out. 500 million or so is now well known. Sticker shock is dealt with and see if there are any more serious suitors.

Nothing more to it than that. Money is not an issue for Quebecor. The fact that they applied knowingly says it's so. The dollar has improved since bringing their costs down about another 30 million or so.

That's all there is to it.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
"I'm not saying yes, but I'm not saying no. So all you fans can keep fighting and tearing each other to shreds while we sort this out."

Thanks, NHL. I love a good toxic environment.

:laugh: .... yeah, no kidding eh?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
"I'm not saying yes, but I'm not saying no. So all you fans can keep fighting and tearing each other to shreds while we sort this out."

Thanks, NHL. I love a good toxic environment.
If fans are fighting and tearing each other to shreds in some kind of a toxic environment, that's the fault of the fans not the NHL.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Good to hear. If there was no chance of anything in Québec he wouldn't have said this. PKP is definitely active on this, he really wants that team.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
If fans are fighting and tearing each other to shreds in some kind of a toxic environment, that's the fault of the fans not the NHL.

Nice try rojac. If the NHL was open, transparent & honest with its fans rather than disingenuous & Machiavellian in pitting city against city, region against region & country against country then no. No you wouldnt have the same levels of toxic tribalism that so often rears its ugly head on chat boards, in the comments section of reports & articles, on talk radio & elsewhere. Absolutely beyond combative in dealing with just about everyone, be it the NHLPA, with their broadcasters & sponsors, with any number of clubs & most certainly municipal, county, provincial/state & federal authorities. Sullen, arrogant, condescending & overarching. The fans useful, to be played and like rooks, pawns on a board, expendable.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Sounds like Quebec City probably gets a team through relocation. Given the ? situations in a few Eastern Conference cities I think they should have a team within the next 5-7 yrs.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
I've always thought that if Quebecor truly believed the NHL had rejected the market they would have used their considerable media empire to let their feelings known "unofficially". The fact it went basically radio-silence showed they were playing the long game and must have had at least some assurances this was a temporary deferral and not an outright rejection.

The truth between the relocationists and the expansionists is possibly in between - it makes some amount of sense that given the smoke around some franchises there was appeal to keep Quebec open as a landing spot, with perhaps a given timeframe that after which they would be able to have an expansion team if all those potential fires petered out. This would make even more sense if the option were to await a possible but not guaranteed relocation for as much as 25% less money spent with the downside being the wait could be fruitless and they would need to pay the full amount for an expansion team after a certain amount of time.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Bettman & Co. know that no matter what they do, any NHL team would be welcomed as liberating heroes the moment they arrive in Quebec City. Couple that with being able to use Quebec City (and Seattle) as relocation threats to try to get new arena concessions out of cities, and there's really no rush on the NHL's part to put a team in that city. More likely than not, they fully intend to just sit and wait for an emergency relocation situation where a market needs to be able to buy and accept a team in the span of a single offseason should the situation in a troubled market ever have their bottom fall out. So, Quebec City will be kept in the league's back pocket and if the opportunity arises in a market like Seattle or Houston or Portland or Kansas City or Hampton Roads, they'll jump on it before the opportunity closes (a la Houston after Les Alexander decided he wasn't interested any more).

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Never?

Really, it took almost 8 years after the opening of the MTS Center in Winnipeg for an opportunity to present itself for relocation there. In Québec we're just beginning year 3 of the Centre Vidéotron.

We still live in relatively tumultuous times in the World of sports. Especially with "Cord Cutting" changing the sport TV revenues game.

An opportunity might present itself.... eventually. We'll see.

It did for Winnipeg, but didn't for Hamilton. (Altrough it was close for them a bunch of times) Who knows?!

We'll see, as always. And anyways we needed a new arena either way. The old Colisée is now almost 70 years old. So NHL team or not it was a necessary investment.

So, waiting is the best option, and in the meantime I am having an incredible amount of fun using my "Nordiques season tickets money" to periodically take trips to go watch MLB Baseball / NFL Football in the US. It's the NHL's lost if they dont want my money, not my loss.
I don't have any inside info, but I think Hamilton was a case of 1) protecting Buffalo and 2) the other owners not wanting Balsille.

Reactions: TRG

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
If Quebec was in the 'no not ever category' I think the league would just be more blunt about it and then there's no expectations to raise...

I'm not sure they'd exactly be blunt about it but I think they'd use some coded language that BoH wonks would be able to see through pretty quickly. Plus the expansion draft reason is so oddly specific it just might be true.

Overall this is not bad news for QC. The way Bettman talks about QC is reminiscent of the way he talked about Winnipeg before their return. Everyone back then thought he was full of it right up to the moment he helped usher them back.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad