Islanders Point Blank: Bettman expects the cap to be $71 million in 2015-16

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/bettman-expects-the-cap-to-be-71-million-in-2015-16/

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman expects the salary cap for the 2015-16 season to settle in around $71 million, depending on the fluctuations of the Canadian dollar (AP, May 22)bettman-gary-130612-thumb-620xauto-326845

The $71 million would reflect a five percent rise from this season’s $69 million cap.

The Islanders’ cap number last season was $55.6 million. Currently, they have a cap hit of $33 million, not including Anders Lee, Brock Nelson, and Thomas Hickey, who are eligible for new contracts. (NHLNumbers.com)

Eric Bolton, Tyler Kennedy, Matt Carkner, Lubomir Visnovsky, and Michal Neuvirth are also not factored into that $33 million, as they are all unrestricted free agents.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
WOW, he said a few months ago (or Daly) that due to the poor Canadian Dollar value it was not expecting the cap to change... That would be a huge blow for all Canadian Teams

Currently at 23% and keep rising for the past year or so...

5.00M x 1.23% = 6.15M
that is without the income taxes... QC (51%) and ON (48%) have the two highest income tax/salary deductions in the NHL

EDIT: Sorry, I thought that I was on the main board... I came in peace

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Could more teams in cap hell, actually improve the isles chances of moving Grabner ?
While his salary will be $5m, his cap hit will be $3m.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Could more teams in cap hell, actually improve the isles chances of moving Grabner ?
While his salary will be $5m, his cap hit will be $3m.

It does, but it's a complicated situation. Obviously he's not a $5 mil player, and he's barely a $3 mil player after last season. I think the Isles will have to pay part of his salary in a trade, or they'll take a bad contract back. Who would that be? No idea.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It does, but it's a complicated situation. Obviously he's not a $5 mil player, and he's barely a $3 mil player after last season. I think the Isles will have to pay part of his salary in a trade, or they'll take a bad contract back. Who would that be? No idea.

I'd rather they retain some salary as opposed to trading one bad contract for another.

One of the Oilers beatwriters had proposed a Purcell for Grabner swap. Ugh.
Just keep Grabner if that's the return.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

The isles don't need to pay any salary. He's an impending UFA on that contract. While his value may be low overall, he's an attractive player to many teams. Isles will have no problems moving him.

There's plenty of junk at $3mil cap range and above.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
The isles don't need to pay any salary. He's an impending UFA on that contract. While his value may be low overall, he's an attractive player to many teams. Isles will have no problems moving him.

There's plenty of junk at $3mil cap range and above.

We'll see! If I was a team that was interested in him, I would expect the Isles to pay part of his salary and I wouldn't budge.

This is actually a good resource for team cap totals. Includes amount of space and players they'll need to sign. http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/

Those top three teams? Maybe they would be interested (Buffalo especially). But again, if I were those teams, I'd try to squeeze a mil or two out of the Isles.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
We'll see! If I was a team that was interested in him, I would expect the Isles to pay part of his salary and I wouldn't budge.

This is actually a good resource for team cap totals. Includes amount of space and players they'll need to sign. http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/

Those top three teams? Maybe they would be interested (Buffalo especially). But again, if I were those teams, I'd try to squeeze a mil or two out of the Isles.

Again, there's no need to eat salary. Either take some back, get back a lower pick in return due to his salary, or a trade for a team that believes they can get value out of him. Most likely, if grabs is traded, he could resign with said team for a decent contract.

You remember Isles traded a pick in the Vanek deal essentially for BUF to retain a good portion of Vaneks salary, right? All of sudden, Islds are eating salary. Not happening.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
3 mil doesn't get you much nowadays. This might be my bias talking here, but I can see a few of the teams with deeper pockets being interested in Grabner should he become available.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The story is updated with correct numbers. Our current total cap hit is about 55 mil but he says our number last year was 67 mil? That can't be right.

If I recall i think our cap number last year(at the beginning of the season) was something around 63M. It should be noted the Yashin buyout is finally off the books so you can subtract that from the 63M. You can also subtract Vish, Boulton, Carkner, Conacher and McDoanld's caphits

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
Isn't it nice not having to trade for Tim Thomas to meet the floor?
Isn't it nice having to be slightly concerned about the upper limit?

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
They got Viz for a 2nd and wiz for a conditional third. Grabner's getting a 2nd or 3rd with no salary retained. Whether Isles take back salary is another story. Since we all know how they operate, doubtful Isles take back any. They'll take back less of a pick vs. salary.

Sad but true

dtrain24

May 5, 2014
Farmingdale, NY.
The sad thing is we're having this discussion when just a few years ago, we thought Grabs was going to be a big part of this team's future following his rookie season.

It sucks because I really like Grabs, but trading him would be the best thing for the team going forward.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
The sad thing is we're having this discussion when just a few years ago, we thought Grabs was going to be a big part of this team's future following his rookie season.

It sucks because I really like Grabs, but trading him would be the best thing for the team going forward.

Yep, but all good things must come to an end. It is a real shame our staff could never properly utilize him. He was always in our loser of a HC's doghouse for some reason.

However, he was a waiver wire pick up. That speaks to some volume imo because Garth is going to be able to get some kind of asset back when he gets dealt.

It is a shame because Michael was a class act here. I loved watching him play, and I will cheer for him wherever he goes.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Yep, but all good things must come to an end. It is a real shame our staff could never properly utilize him. He was always in our loser of a HC's doghouse for some reason.

However, he was a waiver wire pick up. That speaks to some volume imo because Garth is going to be able to get some kind of asset back when he gets dealt.

It is a shame because Michael was a class act here. I loved watching him play, and I will cheer for him wherever he goes.

It seems like everyone thinks its a foregone conclusion that he's a goner. I agree that its certainly a possibility, but its also possible that he stays and we go into the season with 13 NHL-seasoned forwards. Its not like anyone else is kicking the door down behind him and we just saw last season how injuries can pile up. We very rarely faced the decision of scratching a decent forward (ironically the playoffs is where it first really came up).

If we can't get a 2nd rounder for Grabs (which I would take) or include him in a package to upgrade our blue line, I wouldn't mind at all keeping him and rolling into the season with some real depth. If we move him, we have 12 tested forwards and that's about it. We'll be going with the likes of Mallrat, CMac, Harry Z, etc. as the first option. That's not a disaster but not ideal either. Grabner, OTOH, as a 13th forward is a quality option to put on the 2nd - 4th line if need be.

Grabs' cap hit isn't going to be a problem for us. His salary, though, may get him his walking papers.....

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
It seems like everyone thinks its a foregone conclusion that he's a goner. I agree that its certainly a possibility, but its also possible that he stays and we go into the season with 13 NHL-seasoned forwards. Its not like anyone else is kicking the door down behind him and we just saw last season how injuries can pile up. We very rarely faced the decision of scratching a decent forward (ironically the playoffs is where it first really came up).

If we can't get a 2nd rounder for Grabs (which I would take) or include him in a package to upgrade our blue line, I wouldn't mind at all keeping him and rolling into the season with some real depth. If we move him, we have 12 tested forwards and that's about it. We'll be going with the likes of Mallrat, CMac, Harry Z, etc. as the first option. That's not a disaster but not ideal either. Grabner, OTOH, as a 13th forward is a quality option to put on the 2nd - 4th line if need be.

Grabs' cap hit isn't going to be a problem for us. His salary, though, may get him his walking papers.....

Yeah, I don't understand this either. The guy is coming off of an injury riddled season and did go under the knife. Nowadays it seems like everybody expects a speedy recovery with no hiccups. That's not real life. That's fantasy.

I think it would be absolutely silly to trade him as low as he is right now. It would absolutely be piss poor asset management (something Snow is not known for) and I think completely out of character for Snow to move him.

The facts: You have a 34 goal scorer with great legs coming off of an injury filled season. There is no logic to moving a guy like that right now. If next season starts and you see his speed really doesn't recover and he's a lost cause, then you ditch him and if he has even lower value then big dea. You go him for nothing to begin with. Better to hold on to a guy like this and see if he regains form then to just trade him for a low draft pick (unknown).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad