Better top 6, Oilers, Blues, or Senators??

Better top 6, Oilers, Blues, or Senators??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vakarte

May 30, 2022
Oilers:

Kane - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Hyman - Draisaitl - Yamamoto

Blues:

Buchnevich - Thomas - Tarasenko
Saad - O'Reilly - Kyrou

Senators:

Debrincat - Stutzle - Giroux
B. Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson​

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
The Oilers top 6 should be pretty distinctly number 1 here between McDrai being the two best players listed and Kane and Hyman likely being middle of the bunch amongst everyone else. Not only that, but the Oilers 4th best forward in Nuge isn't even listed and likely fills in on the wing.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Edmonton. They can load up McDrai on the fly whenever they want for even more of a push if they need to.

Last edited:

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Close between the Blues and Oilers for me. Pretty sure the Blues’ top 6 outscored the Oilers and was way better defensively but of course the Oilers have the two best players.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Once again I'd like to see a few games before I would conceivably say anything about the top six of the Sens.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Oilers.

Don’t think it’s particularly close either.

RNH plays in the top 6 as well at certain points, if McLeod can lock down the 3C spot when needed the Oilers could arguably have the best top 6 in the NHL.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I guess it's nice for the Blues to be mentioned with other teams fancy pants top 6 forward groups but they're not built in a way that would make them stand out on a list like this. They're much better in a top 12 forwards type of list where the quality of their 3rd and 4th lines do stand out.

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Close between the Blues and Oilers for me. Pretty sure the Blues’ top 6 outscored the Oilers and was way better defensively but of course the Oilers have the two best players.

Of the names mentioned:
Oilers scored 182 goals in 425 games (0.428 gpg)
Senators scored 166 goals in 427 games (0.389 gpg)
Blues scored 156 goals in 450 games (0.347 gpg)

Reactions: capazzo

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Of the names mentioned:
Oilers scored 182 goals in 425 games (0.428 gpg)
Senators scored 166 goals in 427 games (0.389 gpg)
Blues scored 156 goals in 450 games (0.347 gpg)
I was talking about points not goals and I'm unsure why Saad is in the OP over Schenn or Barbashev

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I was talking about points not goals and I'm unsure why Saad is in the OP over Schenn or Barbashev
A similar point can be made about Nugent-Hopkins who plays regularly in the top 6. The points totals also are based on only 1/2 a season for Kane.

Things become somewhat closer in terms of production because JP and Yamamto are the weakest links in the groups by a fair bit. Yamamoto played a fair bit in the Oilers bottom six. JP played less but when he did his production dropped of significantly. Overall though I think the Oiler's top six, no matter how it is configured, is the strongest simply because of the immense advantage due to McDavid and Draisaitl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Love

Love

Feb 29, 2012
A similar point can be made about Nugent-Hopkins who plays regularly in the top 6. The points totals also are based on only 1/2 a season for Kane.

Things become somewhat closer in terms of production because JP and Yamamto are the weakest links in the groups by a fair bit. Yamamoto played a fair bit in the Oilers bottom six. JP played less but when he did his production dropped of significantly. Overall though I think the Oiler's top six, no matter how it is configured is the strongest simply because of the immense advantage due to McDavid and Draisaitl.
Yeah that’s a fair take. After all this is about the top 6 not the forward group as a whole.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
I think it’s St. Louis.
Their first line simply puts up better results than Edmonton’s first line. And while Edmonton’s second line is a little better offensively, Oilers wingers have a tendency to cheat and disregard defense when playing with Draisaitl.
On top of that, St Louis’ forward core is also one of the league’s most productive group when trailing. Which is somewhat an universal indicator of offense since players aren’t prioritizing defense.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't even really know how to vote here. It's kinda hard not to just default to the one that has arguably the two best players in the league. But the rest of that Top-6 is kinda cruddy. Hyman is alright, but other than that it's two superstars and a lot of filler. So as a group...they're not really very strong. But like their team as a whole, i think the quality of McDavey and Draisaitl kind of carries the day.

The Senators group is kind of the opposite. It's a much "deeper" or more "balanced" group. But the two Centers are the weakest, or least proven. It's hard to pick that group over McDavid and Draisaitl. Makes for a kind of weird poll.

Reactions: Bileur and NyQuil

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
I don't even really know how to vote here. It's kinda hard not to just default to the one that has arguably the two best players in the league. But the rest of that Top-6 is kinda cruddy. Hyman is alright, but other than that it's two superstars and a lot of filler. So as a group...they're not really very strong. But like their team as a whole, i think the quality of McDavey and Draisaitl kind of carries the day.

The Senators group is kind of the opposite. It's a much "deeper" or more "balanced" group. But the two Centers are the weakest, or least proven. It's hard to pick that group over McDavid and Draisaitl. Makes for a kind of weird poll.
Lol what?

Nevermind the fact that Hyman is an absolute beast, especially when it matters as shown in the playoffs, Kane is “kinda cruddy”? What an awful take. Regardless what you think of him as a person, he is still a very good hockey player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad