Better season next year: Cale Makar or Auston Matthews?

Who will have the better 2022-23 season?

• Total voters

Rynewed

Sep 16, 2022
Makar has more awards as a defenceman than every other defenceman in the history of the NHL through age-23, except for Orr. You really think there are another 1/2 players that will match this in the coming years?
I dont think Makar on a team not named Colorado or Tampa would be winning as many awards, so Id argue that one or two of these upcoming kids could replicate if they were ready by 20 and joined the top team in that respective conference.

It doesnt change Makar's carer achievements and hes certainly on pace to be an all-time great. But yes, I do think one or at most two of these young studs just breaking out or coming up will match Makar's play.

If it turns out he's the McDavid of defense, then I was wrong and hes generational. But id like to wait about as long as McDavid has been dominating to be making such claims. It wont just be Makar at the top for half his career I dont think, were currently witnessing a big influx of star level defenseman, and I just think he lead that pack in terms of being drafted in 2017 and maturing so quickly

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Weird comparison. Points and goals heavily favor the guy with 60 goals and 2nd in ppg (.086 behing McD).

They are comparable talents but I'm not sure what metrics you'd use to demonstrate superiority by a lower scoring player.

If he wins the Hart it's convincing but that also favors Forwards.

When you’re talking about top 5 players it's a game of inches.
Matthews was actually third, behind Kucherov as well

per 82 paces:
McD: 126.1
Kuch: 120.4
Matthews: 119.1

Lol. You can't correct someone by changing what is being measured. Points per game is not per 60. It's an interesting fact though. It will really help this Makar comparison. Thanks.

Krewe literally used ppg, same as you.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Here's a better question - who had the better year last year all things considered - Matthews or Makar?
How is that a better question ? One guy won the Cup, Conn Smythe and the Norris. That's a no brainer, you'd have to be extremely misinformed or biased to suggest Matthews had the better year last year.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Rynewed

Sep 16, 2022
How is that a better question ? One guy won the Cup, Conn Smythe and the Norris. That's a no brainer, you'd have to be extremely misinformed or biased to suggest Matthews had the better year last year.
Id say Matthews had the better regular season

But including playoffs yeah its Makar no contest

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Without a functioning WAR metric we can all agree on, it's really hard to compare defencemen and centres anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad