Better Player? Ronaldinho or Ronaldo

Better Player?

• Total voters

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Seems a bit of revisionist history after '06. He won the Golden ball in the 1999 confederations cup, was captain of the 2005 team that won (and was MotM in the final against Argentina) and was fantastic in the 2002 WC. The problem with Ronaldinho is that you don't get as big a sample size at the NT level and unfortunately he wasn't as dedicated to football as he could have been (his extracurriculars are quite well documented).

Sure he had good runs and tournaments, but overall it was an underwhelming int-career.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Ronaldo : pace, finishing, strong as a bull
Ronaldinho : flash, dribbling, creativity

Hard to beat that description.

I think that granted consistent health Ronaldo may well have achieved enough to enter the Di Stefano / possibly Maradona (Evilo will fume at me, but I doubt I'll ever escape the grip of 1986) / Messi / Pele bracket. His 97-98 Serie A campaign was mesmerising- and he began the campaign as a twenty-year old, new to a league that was then the world's best by a clear distance.

In contrast, wonderful as Ronaldinho was at his peak, I don't think he achieved anything specific to place himself above a whole pack of other players who were wonderful for five years or so. Maybe he suffers unfairly in my perceptions because almost immediately Messi surpassed him.

Admittedly outright centre-forwards are being marginalised now, but none of Ronaldo's successors leave me awestruck as he once did.

Anyway, I loved watching both of them.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I dislike Ronaldo but you gotta respect his dedication, his consistency and his overall approach to the game. Ronaldinho was brilliant and a magician but didn’t do it for long enough to be considered among the greatests.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Well... doesn’t really seem like there’s a “split between them”.

And Seph, you either never watched Ronaldo , have a crazy bias distorting your view , or have no idea how to process what you watched.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Also, I’m noticing dribbling skills being attributed to Dinho , but not to Ronaldo.

Don’t kid yourself , Ronaldo was one of the best dribblers ever.

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
ronaldo had a better career but ronaldinho had better peak/prime.

Hell no. Ronaldo's peak was better. 2002 wc is better than anything dinho ever did and that wasn't even peak R9. And dinho didn't even have a prime, he was done at the top after 2 years.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Also, I’m noticing dribbling skills being attributed to Dinho , but not to Ronaldo.

Don’t kid yourself , Ronaldo was one of the best dribblers ever.

Agreed. R9 was basically CR7 and Messi combined. Pace, power, 2 footed, lethal finisher, dribbling, free kicks, IQ. He literally had no weakness

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Hell no. Ronaldo's peak was better. 2002 wc is better than anything dinho ever did and that wasn't even peak R9. And dinho didn't even have a prime, he was done at the top after 2 years.

Knee injuries had already slowed Ronaldo way down by 2002. A career highlight for sure, but not his best football.

His "bullishness" was arguably also the biggest cause of his curtailed peak career: carrying around so much weight makes players prone to knee and other leg injuries in this sport.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah, he turned himself into a pure finisher in 02 WC, but was hardly as good as his peak years.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Where still quoting on here as if its meaningful? Why is Deco's opinion on the matter any different from anyone else?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad