Better Player? Modric or Xavi

Better Player?

• Total voters

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't know about that, I mean Xavi with the ball was unbelievable, but not too many players can read the game like Modric off the ball.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't know about that, I mean Xavi with the ball was unbelievable, but not too many players can read the game like Modric off the ball.

Xavis reading of the game is still quite great. But Xavis ability to dictate and control the game is matched no one except maybe Pirlo?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Yeah, Xavi couldn't read the game at all.

If you want to come out and say Modric is better than Xavi do you really need to start a thread?

Reactions: AdamParrot

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
And Modric is a superb passer, but you don't see me making the case that he's better than Xavi in this department.

Both are great players, both read the play at a great level, and both exhibit better strengths such as Xavi and his playmaking along with Modric and his overall BXB play.

And as the saying goes....offence gets you to the playoffs, defence wins championships thus Modric.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I'm so old I can remember Xavi before he was Xavi. That is to say, the time of Van Gaal, Serra Ferrer and Antic, when his ability was recognised, but the best precise way of using him was an open question.

He found his wings in early 2004 when Rijkaard brought in Edgar Davids on loan, freeing him to play further forward, then bringing in Deco the following summer as a more skilful, but still combative, foil.

I mention the above because it always amuses me when it's suggested that Messi was a product of Xavi, as though the latter had been dominating the European game for years on end. Indeed an unfortunate injury made him a peripheral figure for much of Barca's 2005/06 European Cup-winning campaign rather than a central one.

Great a career as Xavi had, I think his standing as an individual player is often overstated. But maybe that's because whilst I admired his style, I never really loved it- Iniesta gave me greater pleasure to watch.

I can't reasonably tout Modric over Xavi, but I've enjoyed watching him more.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
@Stray Wasp, I'm assuming 2014 is a typo. Some good stuff about his early career as he was misplayed. Stylistically he won't get the points Iniesta or Modric do, but he's underrated in that department (down in part to ignorance as people didn't watch him regularly).

Yes, but with the help of others, Modric was a central factor at both ends of the pitch. Xavi was at one side.

So Modric didn't have any help. Your narrative gets more ridiculous with every post.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You can’t say Xavi won championships without help if you’re comparing him to Modric. Both are crucial parts of championship teams, but both had help.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
@Stray Wasp, I'm assuming 2014 is a typo. Some good stuff about his early career as he was misplayed. Stylistically he won't get the points Iniesta or Modric do, but he's underrated in that department (down in part to ignorance as people didn't watch him regularly).

A typo indeed. Thanks for the correction.

I suppose it might be said that the system in which Xavi thrived was so full of players who wanted the ball that had he played more obtrusively he might have unbalanced the whole edifice.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Haha damn... they’re both exceptional .

I think it’s gotta be Xavi , though, doesn’t it? I can’t erase that Pep side from my mind.

Xavi just out-thought everyone , every second of every game, for years and he had to in order for that system to function . He was Guardiola 2.0.

I’m not sure I’ve seen someone make the correct decision with ball 99/100 like he did. Flawless for entire games after making a million passes.

Just a total freak of nature when it comes to processing the game.

Love Modric , but I gotta choose Xavi.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
A typo indeed. Thanks for the correction.

I suppose it might be said that the system in which Xavi thrived was so full of players who wanted the ball that had he played more obtrusively he might have unbalanced the whole edifice.

I think they're somewhat difficult to compare because they played in such different systems. Xavi was the engine room in a possession heavy system. While he was talented and more technically proficient than he gets credit for, it was his intelligence and reading the game that set him apart. There are some great videos yout there that demonstrate this. I actually think he could very well be a Guardiola level manager at some point.

Xavi was always good. He got much better during Spain's first Euro under that racist manager whose name escapes me. Then Pep got the best out of him after that and the rest was history. Prior to that he was played too deep. I actually remember a lot of Cules I knew at the time wanting him home prior to 08. In fact one of them disappeared when Xavi became elite and was never seen again.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I think they're somewhat difficult to compare because they played in such different systems. Xavi was the engine room in a possession heavy system. While he was talented and more technically proficient than he gets credit for, it was his intelligence and reading the game that set him apart. There are some great videos yout there that demonstrate this. I actually think he could very well be a Guardiola level manager at some point.

Xavi was always good. He got much better during Spain's first Euro under that racist manager whose name escapes me. Then Pep got the best out of him after that and the rest was history. Prior to that he was played too deep. I actually remember a lot of Cules I knew at the time wanting him home prior to 08. In fact one of them disappeared when Xavi became elite and was never seen again.

You mean after Van Gaal made him cry?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Van Gaal was so bad he made all Cules cry. He couldn't even field Rivaldo properly much less Riquelme. I can't imagine actually bringing van Gaal up here. In fact if you know your history it was a big deal back then because van Gaal was looking at Xavi over Pep.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Just a joke. I know a fair amount about Barca, but I’m no expert.

If you read my previous comment , you’ll see I love Xavi.

LVG is a wank. Nuff said.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

So Modric didn't have any help. Your narrative gets more ridiculous with every post.
For a lad as smart as you are, you're quite oblivious here. Of course Modric had help, this is common knowledge and something I don't really have to say to begin with. The problem though is that Xavi was outstanding in creating goals, but you can definitely argue that Modric was more of a central factor in helping his teammates win games by the work he did at all areas of the pitch.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I might want to change my vote to Xavi. He was wonderful to watch similarly as Ronaldinho was better to watch over Lima.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad