• Ovechkin

Votes: 110 59.1%

• Total voters

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Shall we compare data?

It won't go well for you.

Should I spend my afternoon arguing whether the sky is blue with this forums' most notorious Crosby hater and straw man arguer in every single Crosby thread?

It could be interesting but it's likely not going to be interesting.

Live free and however you want bud - but you're alone on a VERY secluded island if you think Ovi is even in the same hemisphere as Sid on the defensive side of the puck.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Should I spend my afternoon arguing whether the sky is blue with this forums' most notorious Crosby hater and straw man arguer in every single Crosby thread?

Live free and however you want bud - but you're alone on a VERY secluded island if you think Ovi is even in the same hemisphere as Sid on the defensive side of the puck.

How many goals against was Crosby on the ice for this season?

Reactions: WalterLundy

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022

Randyne (sp?) might have an argument here.

Reactions: sanscosm

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It's a little surprising to see +/- being used as an important metric, I've never put too much stock in it personally.

One guy is +200 and the other could end his career as a minus player. I don't think that alone says much, but I guess there's not a lot of angles left to approach the old Crosby vs Ovechkin debate from.

Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
hits - 155 - 98
bl shots 25-37

both great years. As always i'll take Crosby at centre and Ovechkin on the wing. They are different positions and both did them to the highest level in their peaks and to a very high level in their 36yr old seasons.

It's a little surprising to see +/- being used as an important metric, I've never put too much stock in it personally.

One guy is +200 and the other could end his career as a minus player. I don't think that alone says much, but I guess there's not a lot of angles left to approach the old Crosby vs Ovechkin debate from.
it gets used when zealots need something to win with.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
if I look at:
roreez9mkqcc1.jpeg

I'd say that this doesn't look like Selke defense.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Was this the year OV had the record for EN goals or was that the next year?
He had 9 ENG that year so their goal scoring difference comes down to that and PPG and Crosby has more ESG but MJ will make a huge deal about total goals and some outrageous defensive claims which is amusing I guess.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He had 9 ENG that year so their goal scoring difference comes down to that and PPG and Crosby has more ESG but MJ will make a huge deal about total goals and some outrageous defensive claims which is amusing I guess.
You might want to take a gander at Sid's empty net production for this year.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Was he playing at that level? Or was he just getting lucky and putting up points? If I remember he had some absurd on ice shooting percentage for the first half of the season
15,4 % lower than Drai (23,8 %) and McDavid (16 %) during that part of the season.So nothing absurd about his shooting percentage.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Crosby has 7 ENG this year himself... Also 10 ENP to Ovi's 9 ENP.

So without emptynet points

Ovi: 41 G 40 A 82 P in 77 games. 1.06 PPG
Crosby: 35G 49 A 84 P in 82 games. 1.02 PPG

Primary points:
Ovi: 73 in 77 games. 0,95 primary points per game.
Crosby: 76 in 82 games. 0,93 Primary points per game.

Close, but slightly in favour of Ovi on PPG and more goals.

54,6 % in even strength goals for to Ovechkin vs Crosby 54,1 % compared to even strengt against.

All in all pretty close with a slight edge to Ovi production wise in a lower scoring year. Crosby's defence have also fallen this year so I dont think it makes up for the difference.

If we had compared since draftyear I would have had Crosby's 23/24 clearly over Ovi's 22/23.

Last edited:

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Was this the year OV had the record for EN goals or was that the next year?

Tied with Pavel Bure who had 9 ENG during a 60 goal season for Florida.

Crosby has 7 empty net goals this year (No. 1 in NHL), and 10 empty net points compared to the 9 empty net points Ovechkin had that year.

Crosby is also No. 2 in empty net points all time (70) to Gretzky. To be clear, this is not a "Crosby is overrated" post, it's a stop obsessing over empty net stuff post.

Great players get empty net points.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
15,4 % lower than Drai (23,8 %) and McDavid (16 %) during that part of the season.So nothing absurd about his shooting percentage.
Not his individual shooting percentage, his team's while he was on the ice

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You might want to take a gander at Sid's empty net production for this year.
I was referring to the goal scoring differences in that post and sure Crosby is out alot late in games because he is a premier faceoff guy and has high hockey IQ and some defensive chops too.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Crosby has 7 ENG this year himself... Also 10 ENP to Ovi's 9 ENP.

So without emptynet points

Ovi: 41 G 40 A 82 P in 77 games. 1.06 PPG
Crosby: 35G 49 A 84 P in 82 games. 1.02 PPG

Primary points:
Ovi: 73 in 77 games. 0,95 primary points per game.
Crosby: 76 in 82 games. 0,93 Primary points per game.

Close, but slightly in favour of Ovi on PPG and more goals.

54,6 % in even strength goals for to Ovechkin vs Crosby 54,1 % compared to even strengt against.

All in all pretty close with a slight edge to Ovi production wise in a lower scoring year. Crosby's defence have also fallen this year so I dont think it makes up for the difference.

If we had compared since draftyear I would have had Crosby's 23/24 clearly over Ovi's 22/23.
Fair enough, my main point was that their goal scoring differences aren't that great and I'd point out that primary points is basically doubling counting goals and dido with ESG as most ENG are at ES as well

But sure slight edge to goal scoring for Ovi but for overall play and impact it's clearly Crosby at this age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad