Votes: 17 14.2%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Defensively Finland wins by a mile. Barkov, Hintz, Aho, Haula, Granlund, Lehkonen all play 200ft. Sweden has Lindholm and thats it. You know in hockey, you also have to try to prevent goals?
A little correction, Pettersson himself plays a 200ft game. If you are going to mention all of those players you better mention someone who got actual selke votes last season.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
A little correction, Pettersson himself plays a 200ft game. If you are going to mention all of those players you better mention someone who got actual selke votes last season.
Yeah Petey if anything is better defensively than he is offensively 5 on 5 this year. Though a lot of that is his linemates but his value has been largely defensive.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Swedes easily.

I think the Finn's had an amazing surge but are now in a down cycle. Like my Czechs, they had several promising guys bust out and that hurts a small nation a lot more than a big nation.

eg. 3 years ago I would've been positive that JP and Laine would be on top pair. JP is barely in the NHL now on a buriable 800K contract after a PTO. Laine is also out of the league after a rough season (I assume the two are connected).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Last 4yrs:

Rantanen
260gp 149g 181a 330p playoffs 37gp 17g 31a 48p

Nylander
262gp 114g 157a 271p playoffs 30gp 14g 15a 29p

"Fed by MacKinnon" my ass. When MacK has been injured, Rantanen has always kept on producing... Maybe start following him and not assume things?
There is also a post on the 'mains' saying Nylander is better than Pasta because of an early season 'pace'. When people replied with stuff like this, the new found Nylander fans kept arguing. And I love Nylander and glad he's doing well. I just find it funny that he gets cooking and all these posts come out.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I should also say... I'm cheering for the Finn's and hope they win the 4 nations cup! I love their generation and think it's their best generation. Just in case my post came across as anti Finn. Anything but!

But they are in a lull right now.

2015 to 2019 drafts were absolute gold mines and the reason I think they can win the 4 nations.

2020 to 2023 - those 4 drafts have 3 first rounder in Lundell, Lambert and Kemmel. Good for Czech standards but we are comparing to Sweden here. Last 3 drafts have 3 NHL points total (Raty). Obviously those guys are still young and can make some damage.

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
Finland has better center depth, defensive forwards and the best winger on the list, while Sweden's winger depth is clearly better. Overall it's very close, but I actually give the slightest edge to Finland because I value centers and defensive play very highly, plus homerism.

Comparing the teams overall: Although Heiskanen is a beast, Sweden obviously has the better defense. Goalies are basically even, although Ullmark plays for a better team than Saros. Overall, the national teams seem very evenly matched at the moment. Sweden has the better depth (other than center), but you can only ice so many players.

I'm not sure about the coaching of Team Finland though, I'm afraid we'll miss Jalonen dearly. Why oh why does he have to leave us now? Hopefully Pennanen can prove me wrong.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Last 4yrs:

Rantanen
260gp 149g 181a 330p playoffs 37gp 17g 31a 48p

Nylander
262gp 114g 157a 271p playoffs 30gp 14g 15a 29p

"Fed by MacKinnon" my ass. When MacK has been injured, Rantanen has always kept on producing... Maybe start following him and not assume things?
4 years ago has little to do with right now. Read my last post and you’ll understand my reasoning.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Defensively Finland wins by a mile. Barkov, Hintz, Aho, Haula, Granlund, Lehkonen all play 200ft. Sweden has Lindholm and thats it. You know in hockey, you also have to try to prevent goals?
What about Pettersson, Eriksson Ek, W. Karlsson? Only Barkov and Aho matches those guys on team Finland in terms of defense. A really poorly informed post.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Finland has better center depth, defensive forwards and the best winger on the list, while Sweden's winger depth is clearly better. Overall it's very close, but I actually give the slightest edge to Finland because I value centers and defensive play very highly, plus homerism.

Comparing the teams overall: Although Heiskanen is a beast, Sweden obviously has the better defense. Goalies are basically even, although Ullmark plays for a better team than Saros. Overall, the national teams seem very evenly matched at the moment. Sweden has the better depth (other than center), but you can only ice so many players.

I'm not sure about the coaching of Team Finland though, I'm afraid we'll miss Jalonen dearly. Why oh why does he have to leave us now? Hopefully Pennanen can prove me wrong.
I get that

Well, no, as the poll results suggest Sweden has a clear edge on forwards, and that’s not even including 4th lines which would expose Sweden’s superior depth even more. And on defense it’s an absolute blowout.

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
I get that

Well, no, as the poll results suggest Sweden has a clear edge on forwards, and that’s not even including 4th lines which would expose Sweden’s superior depth even more. And on defense it’s an absolute blowout.

We'll see next year and in the Olympics. If the teams aren't closely matched and Finland gets blown out I'll eat a moldy sandwich and drink pure lemon juice to chase it down. (With great disappointment in our team, if that happens)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Nah, this really isn't that close.

Finland's top 4 can compete against Sweden's top 4. After that, it's a nope.

More interesting would be Barkov-Aho-Rantanen-Hintz vs Pettersson-Nylander-Bratt-Forsberg.

Finland's depth is better, but Sweden's top line is pretty good.
How on earth is Finland's depth better?

Reactions: Ben White

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad